I think I did it!

What I have:

1. Unlocked iPhone 3G upgraded to 3.1 with no tethering on Telstra
2. Telstra SIM
3. Vodafone SIM

What I did:

1. Restore iPhone and set up as new iPhone with Vodafone SIM installed
2. Remove Vodafone SIM and replace with Telstra SIM

My phone now appears to be working fine with tethering on Telstra under 3.1... a simple bait and switch...

Anthonyw
19th September 2009, 09:50 PM
Interesting...
Does it still work after turning the phone off or would you have to do it every time the phone restarts?

David Turnedge
19th September 2009, 09:57 PM
Turning it on again seems to take ages... never noticed that before... but tethering still seems to be working after I turn off and turn on my iPhone with Telstra SIM installed once I restored as a new iPhone with a Vodafone SIM installed and then swapped to Telstra...

Anthonyw
19th September 2009, 09:59 PM
So simple! I am sure plenty of people will buy you a beer if something that simple solves it.

I havent upgraded to 3.1 yet because i want to keep tethering. This is good news!

David Turnedge
19th September 2009, 11:11 PM
Alas, it just stopped working on mine... all of a sudden... somehow the phone eventually figures out it's on a network which doesn't allow tethering and shuts off the feature... stick a Voda SIM back in and it magically appears again, replace Telstra SIM and it stays there for a while, then... gone again.

I thought I had something for a while there!

DIESELBOY
20th September 2009, 03:34 AM
Hi David,

Have you tried using your iPhone tethering via bluetooth?

I am using vodafone sim and mine is working using USB. But when I tried pairing my iPhone to my MacBook via bluetooth, doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :-)

drzeus
21st September 2009, 10:01 AM
Hi David,

Have you tried using your iPhone tethering via bluetooth?

I am using vodafone sim and mine is working using USB. But when I tried pairing my iPhone to my MacBook via bluetooth, doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. :-)

I had the same problem with mine but I'm with Three. Tethering still works with USB but bluetooth seems to have broken after 3.1 upgrade.

koluns81
21st September 2009, 02:35 PM
Prob Itunes updating the carrier settings everytime you sync after it sences the new sim card and loads Telstra's profile back on, which will turn teathering off.