PDA

View Full Version : Password No Longer Accepted At Login

imacattack
19th September 2009, 05:10 PM
I put a fresh install of OSX 10.4.3 then updated to 10.4.11 and then another bunch of updates and one of them was a security update rebooted then my password stopped working ??? can I get around this ???

Boney_Ahem
19th September 2009, 05:23 PM
I believe you do a reset using the Install Disc ... boot from it and when you see the menu at the top of the screen (pretty much straight away after you choose your language) click on the menu and AFAIK there is an option to reset a forgotten account password there ... I think it's under Utilities ..

imacattack
19th September 2009, 05:32 PM
I believe you do a reset using the Install Disc ... boot from it and when you see the menu at the top of the screen (pretty much straight away after you choose your language) click on the menu and AFAIK there is an option to reset a forgotten account password there ... I think it's under Utilities ..

Ok just tried that and it didn't work :mad: Don't know what to do :frustrating:

Boney_Ahem
19th September 2009, 05:42 PM
Here's the link to the full process you need to do ... check it and see if there's a slim chance you might have missed something out.

Resetting the Password (http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=3853)

Are you using the same install disc that you used to put the current operating system on your Mac?

imacattack
19th September 2009, 05:42 PM
Now the OS won't load up just get the start up bar and it moves slowly then fills up but nothing. Guess I will have to do a re-install.

Are you using the same install disc that you used to put the current operating system on your Mac?

I just brought it today off Byrd and no CD/DVD came with it. I don't think that matter's as i have my own Mac OS XTiger install DVD anyway which was on there alreadly.

imacattack
19th September 2009, 06:20 PM
Sounds like one of the hard drives is going up and down in revs ? thought it was the fan but I unplugged them so it's not them.

imacattack
19th September 2009, 08:17 PM
Ok I re-installed OS X Tigar 10.4.3 everything went ok until after the first update to make it 10.4.11 it re-boots but all I see is the mouse icon in the corner and a blue screen and the loading bar does not appear nor the login screen this time.

Does this mean I have a problem with the hard drive or something else. I can hear the HDD working slowly but nothing is happening on the screen.

I should mention I am using the PowerMac G4 Mirror Doors 2003 Model 2GB mem and 1.54MHz.

Boney_Ahem
19th September 2009, 08:43 PM
imacattack, are you using Software Update to bring your G4 up to 10.4.11?

imacattack
19th September 2009, 09:36 PM
imacattack, are you using Software Update to bring your G4 up to 10.4.11?

Yes OS Update.

Things are worse now I think it's the PowerMac now itself.

The whole thing has gotten sluggish and very slow trying to re-install again but it's been doing it for the past hour now.

Boney_Ahem
19th September 2009, 09:42 PM
imacattack, has your G4 ever run Tiger without this issue? Are you using a Full Retail Version of Tiger (Universal Edition)

I would suggest not to use Software Update but to download it as a combo update and install it that way .... you say when you first install OS 10.4 your G4 works without any hitches? But then when you try to update using Software Update, things go pear-shaped?

I would boot from your Tiger disc and run Disc Utility and then click on "Verify Disc".

And most importantly do you have a backup of all your important data??

imacattack
19th September 2009, 09:55 PM
imacattack, has your G4 ever run Tiger without this issue? Are you using a Full Retail Version of Tiger (Universal Edition)

I would suggest not to use Software Update but to download it as a combo update and install it that way .... you say when you first install OS 10.4 your G4 works without any hitches? But then when you try to update using Software Update, things go pear-shaped?

I would boot from your Tiger disc and run Disc Utility and then click on "Verify Disc".

And most importantly do you have a backup of all your important data??

Yes Byrd had it installed but was not updated stayed at 10.4.3 waiting for a response from as he has also over clocked the CPU in it from 1.25 to 1.54

I'm trying everything at the moment my last resort is now disabeling the main DVD drive and using the other incase it's that and same with the HDD's.

Last attempt at re-intall did not finish as it was extremely slow and was not getting anywhere.

Here's a link to the for sale thread from Byrd :- http://forums.mactalk.com.au/22/73463-melb-pickup-emac-800-512mb-80gb-hd.html

I'm sure it is a retail full version of Tiger as I never had a problem in the past but how can i be sure ?

Boney_Ahem
19th September 2009, 10:06 PM
Very odd indeed!

I still strongly suggest downloading the 10.4.11 Combo Update as opposed to using Software Update.

Here's the link to it:

Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (PPC) (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html)

There are two types of Standalone Updates: Individual and Combo.

Individual Updates update one version of Mac OS X to the subsequent version. For example, the Mac OS X 10.2.4 Update updates Mac OS X 10.2.3 to version 10.2.4. Individual Updates are also known as Delta Updates.

Combo Updates update the base version of a Mac OS X release to the version specified in the Combo Update, including all intermediate updates. For example, the Mac OS X 10.2.4 Combo Update updates:

Mac OS X 10.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.4 with one installation, as opposed to installing the individual Mac OS X 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.2.3, and 10.2.4 updates.
Mac OS X 10.2.2 to Mac OS X 10.2.4 without installing the individual Mac OS X 10.2.3 and Mac OS X 10.2.4 updates.
Standalone Updates are generally available 24 to 48 hours after the corresponding Update is available through Software Update.

If you burn a Standalone Update to CD, its disk image must be copied to your desktop or another location on your Mac OS X startup disk in order to be installed.

imacattack
19th September 2009, 10:25 PM
Very odd indeed!

I still strongly suggest downloading the 10.4.11 Combo Update as opposed to using Software Update.

Here's the link to it:

Mac OS X 10.4.11 Combo Update (PPC) (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10411comboupdateppc.html)

Thanks will give this a go.

I have got it back on the system now so I am woundering if the main DVD drive was faulty ?

Boney_Ahem
19th September 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks will give this a go.

I have got it back on the system now so I am woundering if the main DVD drive was faulty ?

When you put a disc into the drive and open Disc Utility, does the disc show up in the left column?

imacattack
19th September 2009, 10:37 PM
When you put a disc into the drive and open Disc Utility, does the disc show up in the left column?

Yes it shows up but doesn't mean it's not faulty if it is.

imacattack
19th September 2009, 10:59 PM
So far so good installed & downloaded 10.4.11 update combo as you said and now installed as well doing some more updates now.

Boney_Ahem
20th September 2009, 12:00 AM
That is sounding pretty damn promising there, imacattack :)

As for the Disc drive being possibly faulty ... I don't really know what to advise there other than to test out a few DVD's and audio CD's, have a look in System Profiler to see if there are any clues there ...

Go to the  in the top left and choose "About This Mac".

Then in the window that opens, click on the "More Info" button to launch System Profiler.

Look under the Contents (Left column) and click to select "Disc Burning" and check what shows in the right section ... I don't know whether it will shed any light on the issues you've been experiencing ... ya never know ;)

imacattack
20th September 2009, 12:38 AM
Ok it's back up and running and fully updated. :)

I have plugged everything back in but I have kept the setup of the drives during the install of the OS X to avoid any issues in future.

Gee I thought i almost had a dude mac there for a moment ;)