PDA

View Full Version : Next Byte ad in Macworld Aus

yinyang
1st July 2004, 04:30 PM
just having a look at this month's macworld and noticed the nextbyte ad on page 3, and looking at the bit for Office 2004 (which seems to be all over the magazine...!) and noticed that the price for Office Student is 299, but then states 3 licenses (good) and that 'NO ID Required' ???

anyone know exactly what that means - can i just rock up to nextbyte, tell them i'm a student and save myself $400 on office? wonder what the upgrade price would be then...?

that would be nice :)

OziMac
1st July 2004, 04:44 PM
No ID is required because the terms of the software licence are different - not sure exactly, but I'm fairly sure that one of the licence conditions are that you are studying, teaching or working at an academic institution. The obligation is not on the retailer to check ID when selling it to you, but rather on you not to use it unless you satisfy those criteria. So you can buy it, but legally unless you are at a university it's similar to using pirated software since they have not permitted you to use the software.

So there you go - if you're not a student, you can go ahead and buy it and save yourself $400, but if you use it, then it's on your head. :o

Febs
1st July 2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Jul 1 2004, 04:44 PM
No ID is required because the terms of the software licence are different - not sure exactly, but I'm fairly sure that one of the licence conditions are that you are studying, teaching or working at an academic institution. The obligation is not on the retailer to check ID when selling it to you, but rather on you not to use it unless you satisfy those criteria. So you can buy it, but legally unless you are at a university it's similar to using pirated software since they have not permitted you to use the software.

So there you go - if you're not a student, you can go ahead and buy it and save yourself $400, but if you use it, then it's on your head. :o
What he said. :)

Other companies such as Adobe and Apple require academic ID, but Microsoft don't. I've sold Office:Mac ACD to people that I suspected weren't students/teachers...but there's not a lot I can do when MS don't require us to check ID.

Cheers,
- Febs.

Lucas
1st July 2004, 07:03 PM
I heard it was deliberate. In the US after they released the PC version of office:XP they wanted to allow familys and home users to have the newer office at a more affordable price. They still wanted to make bucket loads of corporate users though. Thats what I remember anyway could be wrong. Plus why pirate when its only $100 a copy for home (Price / 3 activations).

stickman67
2nd July 2004, 12:00 PM
When I bought a copy of Office 2001, I was (and still am) a legit student.

But I was used to having to prove it, so I called the reseller to place my order, and at the same time have him fax me a form with the usual student ID stuff, which I planned to fill out and send back to save the time that I usually spend after I place an order, and which usually causes a slight delay.

To my surprise, he said Microsoft doesn't require student ID because the terms of the licence say you're only allowed to use the education version of their software for educational purposes and doing so was a breach of those terms. In other words, I guess they trust the licence agreement to cover them legally.

In practical terms, though, MS is probably saving themselves a whole lot of time, paperwork and grief by going down this road. How they would ever catch anyone out breaching the terms of the licence, I don't know, and I suspect Lucas might be on the right track on the affordability thing.

It's interesting, nonetheless, and my reseller also pointed out that MS was the only software major that didn't require ID.

Currawong
4th July 2004, 10:47 AM
At work, we had to send off the copies of student id's to Microsoft when customers purchased the EDU versions, except for phone orders, where they don't check. I don't know if we still do that though.

I guess they can easily check if you're using it illegitimately if you have a business name set on your computer when you do software updates or something.

Ozi
5th July 2004, 11:10 AM
I have just installed Office 2004 for Mac. My dad was a beta tester, and as it is my Birthday today, he gave me his special "Advance" version to me! YAY! its an awesome program. I love it long time. I normally hate anythingt made by Micro$oft, but this is actually a cool set of Applications, and it will do me well in University. :)

yinyang
5th July 2004, 03:50 PM
ozi,

i wonder how many pbooks there are out there with the same config as yours, and mine :lol:

working hard on trying to get one of the developers at work to switch to a pbook as well...!

sorry if this is a bit off topic...!?

OziMac
5th July 2004, 05:42 PM
Ozi and yinyang,

Add mine to the list - dozens of people on Macrumors with the same specs too. Not enough of them turning out in support of the 15" - Macrumors seems to be a love-in for 12" Powerbook owners who think the 15" is too big! Haha.

All good though. Would be even nicer to have one of each, but beggars must be choosers ;)