PDA

View Full Version : [updated] Warranty Work

19th July 2005, 01:16 AM
i need to get a new battery for my laptop (i think) and it is still under warranty. this might seem like a silly question, but am i able to walk in off the street to a place like nextbyte or do i have to ring up and will they take care of the rest? i bought it from the online store so i can't exactly take it back to where i got it from. also do i need to go digging around for proof of purchase or is the serial number enough since it is tied to the warranty?

thanks in advance :)

LCGuy
19th July 2005, 02:14 AM
NextByte will do it, as will any other AppleCentre or any Apple Authorised Service Provider.

pipsqeek
19th July 2005, 05:10 PM
Any Authroised Service Centre will do it, as LCGuy suggests.

Batteries have 12 months warranty. Just letting you know, incase you have 3 years (Applecare).

pipsqeek

19th July 2005, 05:21 PM
blah, i have the three year educational warranty. my battery is totally screwed, according to the system profiler it should have a charge of almost three hours, in actual fact after about an hour and a half the whole laptop turns off without warning with the battery meter reading 50%. after that i can't turn it back on unless i am connected to the charger. :(
then when i switch it back on the date is reset.

i've tried resetting all that stuff already but nothing has helped

edit: i can't find any documentation stating that apple only cover the battery for a year, but according to the applecare agreement:
</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE ("applecare")</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The Plan does not cover:........Repair, replacement, or maintenance of items that have been subject to wear and tear,
such as cases, key caps, knobs, handles, batteries or mechanical parts. [/b][/quote]
that sounds like the entire computer to me :/ i guess we&#39;ll see when i take it in, it can&#39;t hurt to try.

as for my other question, will i need proof of purchase?

Mac Aid
19th July 2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by 123@Jul 19 2005, 05:21 PM
as for my other question, will i need proof of purchase?
Not if it&#39;s education warranty

pipsqeek
19th July 2005, 06:58 PM
If you switch it back on and the date is reset.

I wonder (because I really don&#39;t know), do the Apple books have those onboard batteries?

Maybe that has gone faulty or flat for some reason.

Otherwise, I can&#39;t think of anything else.

Check ebay and stuff for batteries, they pop up on the odd occasion for cheap.

pipsqeek

Mac Aid
19th July 2005, 08:19 PM
The iBook&#39;s (and I think the powerbooks) don&#39;t have a clock battery.

LCGuy
19th July 2005, 09:41 PM
Really? How do they store the data thats normally in the PRAM then? They could use the main battery....but what if its removed? Buh-bye date/time and other settings.

20th July 2005, 03:32 PM
i went into nextbyte today and was told that it would be covered. the guys there were really helpful, if everything goes smoothly from here i think i&#39;ll start buying my stuff from them and not the online store from now on.

29th July 2005, 08:01 PM
update:
they replaced my battery so i guess batteries are covered under applecare (unless the edu warranty is different). i&#39;m very happy, if i pick up my powerbook without dents and scratches then i&#39;ll be sold as a nextbyte customer i think.

lavo
29th July 2005, 10:56 PM
A side note on internal batteries. iBooks have no internal battery, relying totally on charge from the main battery. That&#39;s why it is imperative to keep at least some charge in your iBook battery and don&#39;t let it completely drain. What&#39;s worse is that a complete drain may also kill the battery, as sometimes there is not even enough trickle charge left in the battery to allow the iBook to restart.

Powerbooks do have an internal pram battery. On the tibooks this was located underneath the optical drive, on the top case. I assume the Albook&#39;s battery is in a similar spot.

Mac Aid
30th July 2005, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by lavo@Jul 29 2005, 10:56 PM
A side note on internal batteries. iBooks have no internal battery, relying totally on charge from the main battery. That&#39;s why it is imperative to keep at least some charge in your iBook battery and don&#39;t let it completely drain. What&#39;s worse is that a complete drain may also kill the battery, as sometimes there is not even enough trickle charge left in the battery to allow the iBook to restart.

Powerbooks do have an internal pram battery. On the tibooks this was located underneath the optical drive, on the top case. I assume the Albook&#39;s battery is in a similar spot.
The 12" PowerBooks have no Back-up Battery. The 15" and 17" still do. The purpose of the Back-up Battery is to maintain your PRAM settings if you remove your main battery, or it goes totally flat (ie, left to sleep for too many hours), not protect your main battery. I find it hard to believe that you can kill a main battery by one discharge event, as 10 mins plugged into the power will recharge even a dodgy main battery enough to get you going. A battery has to be very stuffed before it wont allow you to boot with the battery in.

In the New 15" PowerBooks, the Back-up Battery is under the top case, (and under the superdrive in the 17") so there is around 20 screws to remove to replace it, and you have to "crack" the case, which often warps the sides if not done carefully and/or by someone experienced.

In my view, no back-up battery means one less thing to go wrong, and one less consumable to write off older machines.

30th July 2005, 05:00 PM
i don&#39;t think losing your time settings is a big deal, especially if you are like me and only really use your computer when you are connected to the internet so the time just sets itself back to being correct.

i have no idea what sent my battery bad. it had about 350 charge cycles done on it in about 16 months, so maybe that was it.