PDA

View Full Version : Mac 10.5 Server

wintersweat2000
15th September 2009, 12:24 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie to this forum and to Mac -world as well.
Recently I am working on building mac osx server 10.5 on xsesrve. The xserve came with an osx 10.5 server installation disk.
At home I have iMac G5, PowerPC. However, I cant install the 10.5 server on this iMac. I checked all the system hardware requirements, and its all fine, but when it comes to installing after restart, it says 'cant install on this system".

would anyone know why?? I have 10.5 OSX as well, can I install the server admin tools and get all the advantages of server.

thank you!!

pengu
15th September 2009, 01:18 AM
ok a few things.

if you're using OS X Server on the XServe, that's your license used, so you shouldn't be trying to install it on another machine.
the OS install discs that come with hardware, are specific for that model, so an OS X Server disc that came with an Xserve wont work in an iMac, and the one from an iMac won't work in a MacBook or Mac Mini etc.
the OS X Server Admin Tools are a suite of Applications for managing an computer running OS X Server, either locally or remotely, they are not the actual server components
what advantages are you expecting to get from OS X server on an imac in your home?

wintersweat2000
15th September 2009, 07:43 AM
hi Pengu,
thanx for your reply.
at home I am trying to learn the 10.5 server. I am trying to create a networked environment as of an IT environment in school. My objectives are to maintain the mac network, server, deploy images and softwares, integrate with Active directory.
I have 10.4 running but not 10.5 server.

Gio
15th September 2009, 10:05 PM
Wow,
Im sure I have my xserve disc running on a couple of test imacs... I think... was last year but Im sure.. maybe 10.4 server??

JaimeSharp
16th September 2009, 06:02 PM
It should install fine onto that hardware. although there were machine specific disks and retail disks at the time.an option would be to use an intel mac and install in vmware or virtualbox. whch would allow you to test all image deployment non destructively. 10.4 server had only PPC support unless you bought an early intel Xserve hence it works fine.