PDA

View Full Version : files not going to trash

ChrisR_12
11th September 2009, 11:13 AM
Hello,

When i delete a file or folder it says it will be deleted immediately so its not moving the files to the trash how do i fix this?

i am using

OSX 10.6.1
UMP late 08

Boney_Ahem
11th September 2009, 11:29 AM
Have you checked to see if "Empty Trash securely" is checked on the Advanced tab of the Finder preferences?

ChrisR_12
11th September 2009, 12:55 PM
Its not checked.

also say i delete a file using appcleaner it deletes the files but there not in the trash so i am thinking its doing the same thing.

Currawong
11th September 2009, 03:23 PM
How are you deleting the files? Dragging them to the trash?

grfxninja
11th September 2009, 03:25 PM
When i delete a file or folder it says it will be deleted immediately so its not moving the files to the trash how do i fix this?

The only time I ever get this message is when I delete something from an external drive or server

arkenstone
11th September 2009, 03:33 PM
The only time I ever get this message is when I delete something from an external drive or server

x2. Any volume where it can't or won't create a trash bin

dagaz
11th September 2009, 05:02 PM
I had this issue ages ago and it turned out to be a permissions error. Try repairing permissions and if that doesn't work look at the permissions of your whole home folder and your trash (~/.Trash).

ChrisR_12
11th September 2009, 05:24 PM
Here is a pic of what i am getting.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2869/screenshot20090911at452.png

also repairing the permissions did not work.

gehenna
11th September 2009, 05:28 PM
So to echo grfxninja and arkenstone, does this happen on your home drive or on external/network drives? or both?

dagaz
11th September 2009, 05:29 PM
can you do a ls -al of your home folder ("ls -al ~" without the quotes in Terminal) and post back here your permissions for your trash folder, e.g. mine is
drwx------ 2 dagaz staff 68 11 Sep 16:08 .Trash

ChrisR_12
11th September 2009, 05:38 PM
This is on my internal HDD

and here "ls -al ~"

drwxr-xr-x 6 root admin 204 10 Sep 20:36 .Trash

gehenna
11th September 2009, 05:39 PM
Have you got any shell altering apps installed? Onyx or the like?

ChrisR_12
11th September 2009, 05:41 PM
Have you got any shell altering apps installed? Onyx or the like?

Nop this is a clean install of SL from when it came out and the only apps i have install in skype,adium etc. the normal day-to-day stuff.

EDIT: note that this only started to happen after upgrade to 10.6.1

rmac
11th September 2009, 05:51 PM
This is on my internal HDD

and here "ls -al ~"

drwxr-xr-x 6 root admin 204 10 Sep 20:36 .Trash

.Trash should have the permissions drwx------

try deleting it "rm -r .Trash" and then relaunching Finder "killall Finder" to recreate .Trash.

Boney_Ahem
11th September 2009, 05:54 PM
This thread (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2142258&start=0&tstart=0) at the Apple Support Discussion website is asking pretty much the same question and there are some Terminal Commands on page 2 that seem to have solved the issue ..

the1sen wrote:
Hi,

I have been attempting to solve an issue and am unsuccessful at this point.

1. I attempt to send an item to the Trash (any item, anywhere on HD)

are you trying to trash items from your main hard drive? if so run the following terminal command (copy and paste please)

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

you'll have to enter your admin password (which you won't see). that's normal. then log out/in. your trash should work normally after that.

2. If I use CMD+DEL or right click + Move to Trash, same message pops up
3. Message says, "Are you sure you want to delete XXXXXXXX.XXX file? This item will be deleted immediately. You can not undo this action."
4. If I drag any item to the Trash, the same pop-up shows up.

Things I have tried to repair the issue:

1. Repair permissions
2. Looked to see if there was an additional account or something
3. Restarted
4. PRAM Reset

I don't know what else to try. I have seen this message before - Typically when I am logged into another Mac in my home and I attempt to delete something on the remote machine, this exact message pops up.

Any ideas?

Thank you for the help in advance.

ChrisR_12
11th September 2009, 05:55 PM
Fixed sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash done the job.

rmac
11th September 2009, 06:10 PM
which is just what i suggested :). although you dont need to use sudo and can just relaunch Finder instead of logging out.

ChrisR_12
11th September 2009, 09:56 PM
which is just what i suggested :). although you dont need to use sudo and can just relaunch Finder instead of logging out.

All most the command you told me did not work it showed me some error. so i had to be done by root.

Currawong
11th September 2009, 11:17 PM
Just a reminder people, the "Repair permissions" command in Disk Utility will NOT fix this kind of thing, it only checks the permissions of installed software against what the installer receipt says they were originally. This means nothing whatsoever in your user folder, such as the Trash.