PDA

View Full Version : Genius Mixes

mattcooper
10th September 2009, 07:40 PM
Hello
Does anyone here have there Genius Mixes work? I dont have the button? Ive signed in and out & updated the genius??

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1/mattcooper/Screenshot2009-09-10at73346AM.png

cjm19
10th September 2009, 08:15 PM
No, I can't find it either- wish I could

NeoRicen
10th September 2009, 08:19 PM
Your music probably doesn't have Genius data, which is likely if your music was illicitly downloaded and/or the artist/album/year etc. data doesn't match music in the store.

johnq
10th September 2009, 08:19 PM
You need to go to the store menu and update genius. It will then appear.

cejay
10th September 2009, 08:24 PM
You need to go to the store menu and update genius. It will then appear.

Thankyou!

bdude
10th September 2009, 09:02 PM
I had to google to find out that you had to Update your Genius, I thought they would've made it a bit more obvious

lazychef
10th September 2009, 09:03 PM
I had to google to find out that you had to Update your Genius, I thought they would've made it a bit more obvious

what did you need to do?
i can't seem to get it working

vecsty
10th September 2009, 09:09 PM
You should also remove Cookies.plist file from your Library > Cookies folder in you Home folder.

dagaz
10th September 2009, 09:34 PM
What a cool new feature - loving it.

lazychef
10th September 2009, 09:35 PM
Can someone gimme help to get it working? I can't do it :0

MrJesseRoss
10th September 2009, 09:37 PM
Can someone gimme help to get it working? I can't do it :0

In your iTunes menu bar, go to Store>Update Genius. Let it do its thing. Then you'll have a new entry under 'Genius' in your library.

lazychef
10th September 2009, 09:55 PM
In your iTunes menu bar, go to Store>Update Genius. Let it do its thing. Then you'll have a new entry under 'Genius' in your library.

thankyou thankyou thankyou :)

it says it can't complete the request something about losing a connection so ill just keep trying :0

tcn33
10th September 2009, 10:17 PM
thankyou thankyou thankyou :)

it says it can't complete the request something about losing a connection so ill just keep trying :0

This will fix it, but it will also mean you have to log in to every website all over again as your cookies are gone:

Close iTunes and Safari. Go to ~/Library/Cookies and delete Cookies.plist. Open iTunes and Update Genius. Voila.

cjm19
10th September 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks guys all good now - is there a way to see a list of the songs in the mix?

chaosboi
10th September 2009, 11:54 PM
umm, am I missing something?

Genius has been available for some time..what's new about it?

EDIT: Just found it after a update of genius, I now have 'Genius Mixes'

dotnet
11th September 2009, 02:41 AM
And don't forget to repair permissions!
:crazy1:

Cheers
Steffen.

mattcooper
11th September 2009, 07:20 AM
Like I said in my OP updating the genius does not fix my problem. I still do not get the mixes option. :-( I havent tried clearing the cookies

jack112006
11th September 2009, 07:30 AM
Like I said in my OP updating the genius does not fix my problem. I still do not get the mixes option. :-( I havent tried clearing the cookies

Going into Safari and removing all the cookies from apple.com fixed my problems.

Dust For Eyes
11th September 2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys all good now - is there a way to see a list of the songs in the mix?

There doesn't seem to be.

The curious thing is that when you sync one of these Genius Mixes over to an iPod/iPhone it doesn't show up as a playlist, it just transfers the music across.

craigc
11th September 2009, 11:05 AM

The curious thing is that when you sync one of these Genius Mixes over to an iPod/iPhone it doesn't show up as a playlist, it just transfers the music across.

Try turning Genius Off and then back on. That is what worked for me.

alepro
11th September 2009, 11:10 AM

Did you update to 3.1 firmware? Apparently that is needed for the genius mixes (I haven't tried this myself).

ColinC
11th September 2009, 11:10 AM
I have downloaded iTunes 9 onto 2 Mac computers; one has the Genius Mixes function in working order but the other shows only Genius. Have I missed a setting somewhere? I thought it automatically turned on with the download?

davidw89
11th September 2009, 11:14 AM
Mine only show Genius and not Genius Mix too = (

Lutze
11th September 2009, 11:16 AM
I wonder how big your library is....

4K78
11th September 2009, 11:29 AM
For Genius Mixes to appear on iPhone or iPod touch, you have to actually choose to sync them. For instance:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5707/screenshot20090911at927.png

ColinC
11th September 2009, 11:40 AM
Updated Genius and the Mixes appeared! Thanks.

davidw89
12th September 2009, 12:57 AM

This guy, is a Genius!

davidw89
12th September 2009, 01:00 AM
For Genius Mixes to appear on iPhone or iPod touch, you have to actually choose to sync them. For instance:

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5707/screenshot20090911at927.png

That only appears if your running 3.1 on iPhone/iPod touch, still waiting on a jailbreak..

Nightwish
12th September 2009, 02:26 AM
Deleting the cookies.plist & resetting Genius in iTunes got it working for me. I think it's a fantastic feature, and somehow it picks the best songs! Maybe it's automagical?

mattcooper
12th September 2009, 07:39 AM
Deleting the cookies.plist & resetting Genius in iTunes got it working for me. I think it's a fantastic feature, and somehow it picks the best songs! Maybe it's automagical?

Do you suppose to reset the permissions in os x when doing this?

Lutze
12th September 2009, 10:57 AM
Have you used Remote.App when playing a Genius Mix?

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8536/photoi.jpg

The rather cool part, at least that I find cool, is the ability to scroll through the mixes you've got on your computer and select one from this screen... notice the wee dots at the bottom to show you've got other screens available.

NeoRicen
12th September 2009, 11:33 AM
You're not supposed to, if you really care about that you have Genius playlists.

The point of mixes is to create and endless stream of related music, not unlike a radio station.

Beau
12th September 2009, 12:26 PM
Have you used Remote.App when playing a Genius Mix?

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8536/photoi.jpg

The rather cool part, at least that I find cool, is the ability to scroll through the mixes you've got on your computer and select one from this screen... notice the wee dots at the bottom to show you've got other screens available.

Yep, and this is also a feature of 3.1 :) A tad laggy and slow on my iPhone 3G though, so I doubt it'll be used as regularly as it is on my MacBook

Nightwish
12th September 2009, 12:44 PM
Do you suppose to reset the permissions in os x when doing this?

Oh I meant turning Genius off and on. I assume that clears all the Genius data in iTunes and re-downloads it? :unsure:

banjo
12th September 2009, 01:11 PM
The point of mixes is to create and endless stream of related music, not unlike a radio station.

I'd like to at least know which song is coming up next or have the ability to remove a song from the mix (because sometimes iTunes just gets it wrong).

Otherwise you may as well create a smart playlist of certain genres then stick it on random.

FergusB
12th September 2009, 09:24 PM
I cant get this to work on my PC's. Can anyone help me...

Hey,

I have just updated the windows PC's in the house to iTunes 9 and since playing around have noticed that there is no "Genius Mix" option beneath "Genius" in the sidebar.
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6457/itunesissue.jpg
I am having this issue on both PC's, although genius is turned on. I have tried both updating Genius and turning it off then beck on, but nothing seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated, and is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

bige12
14th September 2009, 01:35 AM
I still can not get the Genius Mixes to appear on my iPhone or in iTunes 9 I did everything tried deleting the cookies, turn on and of Genius, and the update genius feature under the store menu and tried the syncing method and it did not help.

and I runing the iPhone 3.1 OS software update

Holmete
16th September 2009, 10:36 AM

Just click on the iPod icon then on the bottom row select (...) more.
You should now see Genius Mixes in the list along with Composers, Genres, etc.

Dust For Eyes
16th September 2009, 02:16 PM

Yep, I had found it. Thanks.

Winman
16th September 2009, 02:34 PM
So I'm thinking anyone without the current Iphone/Touch software or Nano 5th Gen is SOOL?

bige12
17th September 2009, 10:37 AM

I have the orginial iPhone and running the 3.1 version and I just update my Macbook to Snow Leopard 10.6.1

and I'm still not getting the genius mixes to appear on my computer

mattcooper
23rd September 2009, 10:55 AM
iTunes 9.0.1 fixed my problem yay

frankie567
14th February 2010, 06:36 PM
Hello there !

As many people, I had many problems to get Genius Mixes working on my Windows computer ; even after many "Genius Update" and a big music library.
Well, so I think I've found a way to get this working.

I noticed that my music library didn't use the automatic "iTunes Media" folder. So, I rebuilt my library with this function and... Genius Mixes appeared...

I don't really know if there is a link between these two events but, I hope it will be helpful :blushed:

Regards,
Frankie567