PDA

View Full Version : Powerpoint 2004 crashes under Snow Leopard - Remove PDFmaker.lib

leon
10th September 2009, 10:04 AM
My wife has a new MBP which came with Snow Leopard installed. When I put Office 2004 onto this machine, I would not run. There are numerous reports on the web which indicate potential ways of fixing this (such as reinstalled Office 2004), but none of these worked for me.

From trial and error I found that the PDFmaker.lib which resides in the Office2004 Application folder was causing the issue. Removed this and Powerpoint is behaving itself.

She is running Acrobat 7 which was part of the Creative Suite 2. I'm running CS3 on my machine and do not have these problems.

Thought I would share this with others.

basseyy
10th September 2009, 01:04 PM
Would you consider using office 2008? I use that version of powerpoint all the time without any problems....

leon
10th September 2009, 01:30 PM
Would you consider using office 2008? I use that version of powerpoint all the time without any problems....

Even pirated I won't use it. I hate the interface + there are too many incompatibilities when opening up old files.
We're both happy with 2004, except for the SL induced niggles.

Xminus1
18th September 2009, 07:24 AM
Registered just to say thank you for the fix.

scottsworld
20th September 2009, 12:51 PM
wow,
you are a lifesaver. :D

i had gone so far as to wipe my HDD, and go back thru time machine to my pre-Snow Leopard backup. Just so powerpoint would work.

now; still might not install SL though; hate it.
hate that you can no longer click/hold on Mail icon, and have menu pop up that says "Compose New Message". :mad:

dames
3rd October 2009, 04:53 AM
I also registered just to say thank you. This was hugely helpful and I've passed along the link to your post to the tech guys in my department.

Cheers,
-Dan

leon
3rd October 2009, 08:00 AM
I also registered just to say thank you. This was hugely helpful and I've passed along the link to your post to the tech guys in my department.

Cheers,
-Dan

Just wanted to point out that you lose the ability to make PDF's via the acrobat toolbar using this method. Not a big deal as File>Print>Save as PDF does the same thing.

WM_doc
8th October 2009, 01:19 AM
I registered just to thank you for this fix. Had it on 2 Intel macs. Like you I hate Office 2008 and prefer to use 2004 and compatibility pack. since you can save as for pdf in any mac app the file is redundant anyway. Thanks again.

fithian11
9th October 2009, 09:33 AM
Registered just to say thank you for the fix. :cool:

rmbeaudry
10th October 2009, 06:33 AM
Thanks so much for the work-around for Powerpoint by removing PDFmaker.lib - am about to leave the country to give a series of PP presentations and was in a bit of a panic - took the time to search one last time for a solution before I re-installed Leopard. Whew!

vesparos
22nd October 2009, 03:04 AM
I don't know if it is different because I'm in the US, but you at least got me on the right track. The file that I had to remove was /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Startup/Powerpoint/PDFMaker.ppa

Thanks a million for at least getting me on the right track. GOLDEN!

- Eric Westbrook
::Vespa Ros:: The Blog of Eric Westbrook (http://vesparos.com)

davemcg
31st October 2009, 07:25 PM
brilliant fix for powerpoint 2004 with snow leopard...how do you guys find fixes like this...thanks very much:cool:

leon
31st October 2009, 08:37 PM
brilliant fix for powerpoint 2004 with snow leopard...how do you guys find fixes like this...thanks very much:cool:

Was trial and error. Noticed on my wife's machine that Powerpoint was crashing at the same point during startup all the time. Noticed it was just as the PDFmaker.lib was loading up (I think it flashes up on the screen for a fraction of a second).

Guillermo
2nd November 2009, 08:07 PM
Thank you so much for sharing a way of resolving the PP crashes in Snow Leopard, clever solution

Best

Guillermo

shellbhawaii
4th November 2009, 03:16 AM
My wife has a new MBP which came with Snow Leopard installed. When I put Office 2004 onto this machine, I would not run. There are numerous reports on the web which indicate potential ways of fixing this (such as reinstalled Office 2004), but none of these worked for me.

From trial and error I found that the PDFmaker.lib which resides in the Office2004 Application folder was causing the issue. Removed this and Powerpoint is behaving itself.

She is running Acrobat 7 which was part of the Creative Suite 2. I'm running CS3 on my machine and do not have these problems.

Thought I would share this with others.
I was fortunate to find your post, and did remove the .lib file. That at least allowed me to LAUNCH PowerPoint. But, I still cannot open a .pps file. I opened it in KeyNote ok, but the music failed to work properly. I saved it out of KeyNote as a PowerPoint presentation, and could then open it as the ppt file in PowerPoint, but again, the music didn't work, and the slides don't advance automatically. The file works fine on PCs... Any ideas?

Thanks.

mgbell
19th November 2009, 06:35 AM
Sounds great advice as I have hadthe same problems. I havr tried to remove PDFmaker.lib but not being very savvy dont know how to go about that, can anyone help?

Thanks. Michael Bell

leon
19th November 2009, 09:19 AM
Sounds great advice as I have hadthe same problems. I havr tried to remove PDFmaker.lib but not being very savvy dont know how to go about that, can anyone help?

Thanks. Michael Bell

You just navigate to the Microsoft Office 2004 folder in Applications. PDFmaker.lib will be sitting in there. I just moved it to another folder I created in the Documents folder for safe keeping.

mgbell
19th November 2009, 08:46 PM
Many thanks, for some reason I didn't have a file of that name but one call PDFMaker.ppa I remove that & it has had the desired result!

Thanks

Rich_Cohen
26th December 2009, 05:02 AM
Thank you for that information. It worked for me, too. I have a fair number of VB macros that I use with PowerPoint which prevent me from upgrading to Office 2008.

Rich

dnobel
22nd February 2010, 03:41 AM
Many thanks for this simple and effective solution which has worked a treat for me! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

bscepter
2nd May 2010, 12:48 AM
i, too, registered just to say thanks for this. not only has it worked - it's gotten rid of that awful PDF maker toolbar that was always there by default! so, two for one! THANKS!

Merrimac
26th May 2010, 11:50 AM
I just registered to say thanks.

(and it took much longer to register than to do the Lib fix)

Thank You.

swordpen
13th June 2010, 11:20 AM
I'm another one who registered just to thank you for the tip about removing the PDFMaker file. Worked like a charm. Saved me scads of time troubleshooting this.

Danielc
12th August 2010, 03:36 AM
I very seldom register on forums or blogs to leave messages, but I have been struggling with the Power Point crashes since I upgraded to Snow Leopard the day it came out, I always found it curious that neither Apple or MS addressed this issue, and yet you present us with such a simple solution that WORKS!!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH...

Daniel. (yes, I'll even sign it...)

wadeinthewater
10th September 2010, 02:14 AM
Leon, many thanks to you for finding this fix and posting for the rest of us. I registered just for this! Passing along to friends in similar situations...

leon
10th September 2010, 08:05 AM
No problem. Can't believe there hasn't been a patch. Guess that happens when you stick with "older" software.

Averil
22nd September 2010, 05:20 PM
I seriously love you! I've tried so many things to get it to work!

* also registered just to say thanks

stewiesno1
22nd September 2010, 09:05 PM
I was fortunate to find your post, and did remove the .lib file. That at least allowed me to LAUNCH PowerPoint. But, I still cannot open a .pps file. I opened it in KeyNote ok, but the music failed to work properly. I saved it out of KeyNote as a PowerPoint presentation, and could then open it as the ppt file in PowerPoint, but again, the music didn't work, and the slides don't advance automatically. The file works fine on PCs... Any ideas?

Thanks.

Shellb , don't you just change the .pps suffix to .ppt then double click on it to open it in PP. I have a friend in Canada who sends me .pps files regularly and by just changing the file extension solves the problem.

Stewie

collagegirl
25th October 2010, 09:22 PM
Perfect! Thanks so much for posting this info!

thesouplady
8th June 2011, 05:10 AM
Absolutely right - the file is actually PDFmakerlib (no dot) but it's in the Office 2004 Application folder - and putting it into the trash totally solves the PowerPoint won't work with 10.6.7 problem. Thank you, thank you!

tobedesign
15th June 2011, 01:42 AM
thank you so much. The tip to remove this file saved my office live! It works :)