PDA

View Full Version : Application to monitor Internet usage?

black
9th September 2009, 08:21 PM
I have ADSL2+ modem thats also a 4 port router.
There are 3 main machines in my household that use the internet and i am after the most accurate / sophisticated solution in monitoring usage of each computer.

Is there any osx software or windows software that i can use to see how much of the internet is used up on each computer so we can see who uses how much on a particular day or month.

thanks in advance

gehenna
9th September 2009, 08:23 PM
Are there any QOS and logging settings you can enable on your router that will show these statistics against the IP address of each machine? You're better off doing this at the router rather than on the PC/Mac because they may well be using network resources that are on the LAN instead of the WAN therefore reporting incorrectly.

black
9th September 2009, 09:03 PM
ohk i have less then 1 year old dlink

gehenna
9th September 2009, 09:04 PM
model?

black
9th September 2009, 09:24 PM
DSL-504T - D-Link

Here is a link of the model and its specs (http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=229)

black
9th September 2009, 09:49 PM
i have had trouble finding a solution which is really surprising as i thought there would be something out there

Cybix
9th September 2009, 09:58 PM
You aren't going to get that level of monitoring at all unless you have a more sophisticated gateway/router.

I was doing some very fine-comb filtering once upon a time with a linux/BSD box and iptables/mrtg/tcpdump.

Graphing per-machine usage even providing nice little tables/graphs for protocols, ports, site's hit, time spent, rah rah... everything you'd ever want to know and more.

You won't get that kind of control on your modem/router, or your Mac.

black
9th September 2009, 10:01 PM
ah thats what i thought, someone should create software for windows / osx that does this simply and easily.