PDA

View Full Version : using crossover?

Sandy
8th September 2009, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I was a PC user recently converted to Mac.

I was wondering if anyone uses the program crossover?
The main reason I want it is so I can use my PC version of Photoshop on my Mac (I don't want to have to buy a new one).

Will this work and is there anything I should know?

Thanks,

Sandy

Mac Ram
8th September 2009, 11:58 PM
I think it depends which version of Photoshop - link here. (http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/search?name=photoshop&search=app)

They have a trial version of crossover - I'd give that a go.

Lockley
9th September 2009, 12:21 AM
i use crossover games for steam and counter strike..... it works great for that but im not sure about ps

Sandy
9th September 2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your replies.
I just tried to download the trial of crossover and it says it wont work with G5's! (I have a G5)

Are there any other similar programs? I really need my photoshop to work.

Sandy

MrJesseRoss
9th September 2009, 02:53 PM
If you're running a G5 you're really limited in options. All the virtual machine apps like Crossover, Parallels or Virtualbox require an Intel Mac to run. There's Microsoft Virtual PC, but that's quite ancient and hasn't been updated since 2006 at the latest.

entropy
9th September 2009, 03:23 PM
I still use VPC on Gertie G5 at tax return time. It is slooow! I doubt it would be worth trying to run Photoshop through VPC. Think pentium 2 233mhz with no hardware acceleration.

Sandy
9th September 2009, 03:46 PM
That really isn't very good news...

I wasn't aware that the G5's were different to other Macs when I bought it. I probably should have done a bit more research. I wonder why Apple made them like that.

I guess I will just have to buy it again.

Sandy

Rust
9th September 2009, 04:22 PM
i use crossover games for steam and counter strike..... it works great for that but im not sure about ps

So you can basically run all your steam games no problem with Crossover?
I've been curious about this...is the performance any good or does it take a hit?

Lockley
9th September 2009, 05:03 PM
It wont run all steam games,

I play counter strike and that works 100% for me. i installed a car game called track mania once and that wasn't playable.

Codeweavers support these games:

EVE Online
Guild Wars
Prey
Steam Games, including:
Half-Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Counterstrike
Counterstrike: Source
Civilization IV
Peggle Extreme
Call of Duty 2
Max Payne 2
Grand Theft Auto 2

Try the trial to see if your games work

entropy
9th September 2009, 07:19 PM
That really isn't very good news...

I wasn't aware that the G5's were different to other Macs when I bought it. I probably should have done a bit more research. I wonder why Apple made them like that.

I guess I will just have to buy it again.

Sandy

Apple used powerpc RISC chips back in the day when they were faster than the Pentiums and PIIs. But IBM, which developed the powerpc for massive server systems, couldn't be fagged keeping up development for the tiny mac market so by the time the P4 systems were out the G5s could only keep up (but were still faster in some ways) with massive heat sinks. With the leap in performance promised by the new intel core duo chips on the horizon Apple realised that the powerpc was a dead end and jumped across to x86.

But the PowerPC RISC chip is a different architecture to the CISC intel chips (from memory, RISC = reduced instruction set, and CISC = Complex instruction set). That said, core duos do have many RISC characteristics.

So back in the powerpc days the only x86 emulator was Virtual PC. Microsoft bought it off the company that developed it (to run virtual boxes for itself), and promptly let the VPC for mac languish. Hence it is a dog.

But once apple went to intel, it is much less difficult to develop x86 emulators, as it already is an x86 chip. So there is a proliferation of handy emulators.

Mutters
9th September 2009, 08:40 PM
Hi,

I was a PC user recently converted to Mac.

I was wondering if anyone uses the program crossover?
The main reason I want it is so I can use my PC version of Photoshop on my Mac (I don't want to have to buy a new one).

Will this work and is there anything I should know?

Thanks,

Sandy

I think Adobe will let you "cross-grade" PS - they used to.
Probably only the latest version though - maybe CS3.
Which version are you running?

mutters

AvvY
9th September 2009, 08:57 PM
I only use it so I can still use Foobar2000. That is until I find any sort of comparable native replacement. It works flawlessly. I've had almost zero crashes. Aside from that it's only for occasional use of something else. I find it worth having lying around