PDA

View Full Version : MBP date & time & wifi resetting

mwot
8th September 2009, 10:01 PM
my 13"MBP keeps losing the date, time and wifi settings.

i am running Snow Leopard.

if i reboot the machine, it cannot automatically connect to my home wifi network. it locates the network, but cannot connect without me having to punch in the WEP key all the time.

also, the date & time keeps resetting to a 2001 date.

this first became an issue only a few days ago; coincidentally, it started occurring after i installed WinXP via Boot Camp at that time.

anyone know why these settings keep getting lost? very frustrating!

matthew858
8th September 2009, 10:36 PM
For the first issue, have you told System Preferences to remember the WiFi password (there should be a check-box in the bottom part of the window where you enter in your WiFi password)? This will store the password in the Keychain and you won't have to enter it again.

How often does the clock reset? If it's on boot, you may have to re-install the OS, as it may be an issue with how it looks for, and saves, the time (more specifically, the NSDate function within the OS is stuffing up, something that shouldn't happen).

mwot
8th September 2009, 11:12 PM
thanks. most assuredly, the check box is checked each and every time i've punched in the wifi p/w. still no dice.

the clock only resets on reboot as far as i've noticed. is a reinstall really the only option??

ClockWork
8th September 2009, 11:17 PM
Either the Keychain is buggered, or your PRAM battery has died.

Actually... if your PRAM battery is flat, your MBP will not remember the Time and Date, or certain Passwords...

ID Your Mac - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Info/ID-your-Mac)

mwot
9th September 2009, 12:01 AM
CW - that link only told me what model MBP i have ... which i already knew! :P

a PRAM issue y'think? guess i'll book an appointment with a Genius. come to think of it, there has been this annoying 'click' of the hdd (presumably) each time i pick up the MBP - have been meaning to get that checked out, too.

ClockWork
9th September 2009, 12:38 AM
I plonked the link in so you could research replacement of the PRAM battery for yourself, based on your model and its details.

mwot
9th September 2009, 09:03 PM
ta. but i couldn't locate on the site where i might find any troubleshooting info (not all that intuitive a site to navigate).

in any case, i guess i'll just mozey on down to the Genius Bar - i don't think the PRAM is something i can reset myself?

have also just noticed that the wifi connection does not auto-reconnect when waking the machine up from sleep. grrrrrr.

simonm
10th September 2009, 02:03 PM
I have this issue on a brand new MacBook Pro, so I'm sure it's not the PRAM battery! I believe the issue may be related to your Bootcamp partition because I notice it has reset after booting into Windows. I believe Windows may be screwing up the date and time and you need to connect to a network to get it back. I am running Windows 7 beta.

PS. Considering you have a 13" MBP it is also extremely unlikely to be a dead battery!!!