PDA

View Full Version : Mac the Mag Launches

W9cae
8th September 2009, 01:25 PM
Today we have a new Mac Magazine. Looks very promising, also the price free & it's online.

MacTheMagazine issue 1 : Cover (http://cde.cerosmedia.com/Mac_the_Magazine_issue_1/1I4a9fd42a521ce778.cde)

SRG
8th September 2009, 01:46 PM
interesting to see Matthew Powell in there as the Editor.

Certainly space for a good Aussie Mac mag, as Macworld is to much of a rehash of Macworld US for me (since I get US via Zinio I don't find much to read in the aussie version).

Online a smart way to go as well.

Good luck to them.

Exocet
8th September 2009, 01:58 PM
Interesting - I'll check it out! Always happy to support the Australian tech journalism industry.

gehenna
8th September 2009, 02:00 PM
The looks like a really good, content rich magazine! About time too. Signing up now.

Exocet
8th September 2009, 02:08 PM
Printing out the crossword and doing it, cause I'm bored on a Tuesday afternoon :D

SRG
8th September 2009, 02:10 PM
have to say a quick flick through looks good. Like the idea free but $20 for a download version (similar to Zinio) so you can read offline and print if needed.

Lockley
8th September 2009, 02:11 PM
i like the look of it to! will read

Ecto1
8th September 2009, 02:16 PM
Just had a flick through, it Looks good. Will give it a read through later.

SilverJ
8th September 2009, 02:52 PM
have to say a quick flick through looks good. Like the idea free but $20 for a download version (similar to Zinio) so you can read offline and print if needed.

Wow, that's not very good value. $20 per issue to download or to subscribe?
You can get a nice printed art magazine for $20 that has been printed professionally.

Apple_Lover
8th September 2009, 02:55 PM
Looks good.

SRG
8th September 2009, 02:57 PM
that is for the year (12 issues it seems) and as with the mactalk podcast a optional thing.

cartz
8th September 2009, 03:01 PM
Wow, that's not very good value. $20 per issue to download or to subscribe?

It's $2.50 per issue to download.

golfer
8th September 2009, 03:10 PM
yeah, looks excellent. Anything that continues to promote Macs is a good thing.

Geoff3DMN
8th September 2009, 03:12 PM
The pdf version is nice and clear but the web version is rather fuzzy, at least at the screen resolution I have available at the moment.

It would probably be ok on a 24" screen but it's not much good on a laptop with a 1280x800 resolution screen...

Exocet
8th September 2009, 03:38 PM
The Machiavelli crossword is kinda hard...

Angsty
8th September 2009, 03:43 PM
Bugger - needs Flash enabled... *sigh*

Hits Back button.......

Ang

g4cube
8th September 2009, 04:42 PM
Looks very good i went the PDF version as the writing is to small for me to read.

Huy
8th September 2009, 05:53 PM
The Machiavelli crossword is kinda hard...

Solving the clues is just the first step. :ambivalent:

MissionMan
8th September 2009, 06:03 PM
Why is it every mag that launches chooses to have its own forum. Surely it would be easily to just align with an established forum like MTAU?

3dward_Shaddow
8th September 2009, 06:14 PM
Solving the clues is just the first step. :ambivalent:

Whoever wins will certainly earn that iPod!

*goes back to solving all the 6 letter puzzles* :confused:

dolbinau
8th September 2009, 06:19 PM
Why is it every mag that launches chooses to have its own forum. Surely it would be easily to just align with an established forum like MTAU?

I'm surprised that the established forums like MTAU don't launch a mag..............;)

Huy
8th September 2009, 06:23 PM
Anyone figured out "Twin (9)"? :D

Exocet
8th September 2009, 08:07 PM
I got DUPLICATE, and seems to fit in a particular spot with several words around it, but I'm completely stuck with 8 clues left to go :(

MissionMan
8th September 2009, 08:49 PM
could be identical as well

Huy
8th September 2009, 08:50 PM
I had duplicate and identical but I guess my other words are wrong then!

I'll give up on it.

kitsune
8th September 2009, 11:21 PM
I don't get the logic behind releasing an online-only magazine formatted for print. What am I going to do, print it out and bind it myself?

golfer
9th September 2009, 06:04 AM
I don't get the logic behind releasing an online-only magazine formatted for print. What am I going to do, print it out and bind it myself?

the option is there should you wish to print a particular article.

3dward_Shaddow
9th September 2009, 11:32 AM
I had duplicate and identical but I guess my other words are wrong then!

I'll give up on it.

I'm on to the last word scramble (the shaded squares) come on brain! Work with me here! :p

rick_au
9th September 2009, 09:34 PM
what ever happened to the mac talk magazine? when i bumped the old thread about it everyone was pissed off about it and all hush hush.

decryption
9th September 2009, 09:40 PM
what ever happened to the mac talk magazine? when i bumped the old thread about it everyone was pissed off about it and all hush hush.

It just died. My heart wasn't in it, life moved on. It could come back any moment! (probably won't, but I'd like to one day. I like magazines. Dead trees are still cool)

LittleGold
9th September 2009, 09:56 PM
It just died. My heart wasn't in it, life moved on. It could come back any moment! (probably won't, but I'd like to one day. I like magazines. Dead trees are still cool)

Understandable. Decryption - do you do everything for this site yourself, e.g. the news / articles / writing etc? If so that is a huge job!

Sorry if that is a stupid question - I am brand new on this site so apologies in advance.

chaosboi
9th September 2009, 10:11 PM

I like the idea of sitting on the couch away from a LCD screen to read a paper mag.
I wish the had the option to have the mag posted to you.
Printing 40 pages are a lot to print each month.

Huy
9th September 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm on to the last word scramble (the shaded squares) come on brain! Work with me here! :p

I was 'right' there yesterday but gave up. Got the question out, have all the letters (but 1) to answer it but couldn't figure it out - since my 'twins' answer wouldn't fit my other words.

I figure someone already won it yesterday since I gave it a good few hours.

They spelt Macintosh wrong.

shivstar
9th September 2009, 11:03 PM
I like the idea of sitting on the couch away from a LCD screen to read a paper mag.
I wish the had the option to have the mag posted to you.
Printing 40 pages are a lot to print each month.

Not only that, is it not true that excessive reading of a computer screen is strenuous on the eyes due to the refresh of the screen and the way the eye focuses - or something along those lines??
That was a big difference between ePaper and computer screens, the computer emits light and the ePaper reflects light (like normal paper), which makes for much more comfortable reading for long periods.

Printed option would be good, I sometimes prefer to read paper too.

decryption
9th September 2009, 11:18 PM
Understandable. Decryption - do you do everything for this site yourself, e.g. the news / articles / writing etc? If so that is a huge job!

Sorry if that is a stupid question - I am brand new on this site so apologies in advance.

You can ask Mike, heh

I used to do all the news, now I just do it once a week (3 other guys post the morning news), most of the articles come from me, but again, a lot more people help out these days.

The podcasts take up most of time time these days - editing them, uploading them and being on them.

Plus then there's planning of new things (like the wiki! will go live any day now I swear!) and buttering up sponsors and junk like that :)