PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook "feeling"

clifft
15th July 2005, 10:44 PM
I have just bought a 15" Powerbook. I have noticed that with the power cord plugged in, I get a "live" feeling in my hands when they rest on the metal around the keyboard. I see that the power plug isn't earthed, it is just 2 prongs. This sensation isn't there when it is running just on batteries. Is this normal, do others on this site experience the same thing? The computer seems to work ok but I would hate to get electrocuted!! Clifft

On-Site-Tec
15th July 2005, 10:50 PM
I get the same feeling only on the 12" PowerBooks though. Never on e a 15" or 17" though.

Wheels
15th July 2005, 11:03 PM
I wonder why Apple don't earth the adaptors by adding a third prong.

mac_man_luke
15th July 2005, 11:38 PM
they are earthed arnt they?, im sure they are when you use the longer cable

icant
16th July 2005, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by mac_man_luke@Jul 15 2005, 11:38 PM
they are earthed arnt they?, im sure they are when you use the longer cable
I thought they weren’t, since the connection between the removable wire and the adapter is a standard figure-8 thingy.

Yes, I’ve felt that tingling as well.

LCGuy
16th July 2005, 12:55 AM
If they were earthed they'd have a 3 prong AC plug. I think the reason its only two prongs is because the AC adaptor casing itself is plastic, and therefore it doesn't need to be earthed, as plastic is an insulator. As for that zap that you sometimes get, its probably just ESD, considering its currently winter. Even if there is something wrong with the PowerBook, you're not going to get zapped by 240V, as the power adaptor converts it to roughly 24VDC. I'm not sure what the exact voltage is that it outputs, but unless you open the power adaptor itself or touch one of the prongs while its plugged in and turned on, you've got nothing to worry about as far as your safety is concerned.

Squozen
16th July 2005, 02:13 AM
New power adapters are earthed (my 1.25Ghz and 1.5Ghz PowerBooks both came with earthed adapters). Older ones aren't, and yes, you are carrying a bit of current to ground when using a PowerBook with the unearthed adapter. It's normal and safe, although I've had a couple of very mild shocks from my girlfriend's old 667Mhz TiBook.

clifft
16th July 2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks, guys, at leat I know there's nothing wrong with my new toy and that it's safe to use!! Clifft

mac_man_luke
16th July 2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by icant@Jul 16 2005, 12:29 AM
I thought they weren’t, since the connection between the removable wire and the adapter is a standard figure-8 thingy.

Yes, I’ve felt that tingling as well.
the earth is carried through the metal lug at the back

The Fluffy Duck
16th July 2005, 11:58 AM
Im glad I have a "plastic" iBook :P

mvjs
16th July 2005, 12:03 PM
No, No, No Fluffy Duck!

The iBook is made out of space age rocket ship material! None of this 'plastic Stuff'

/endapplemarketer

:) :) :)

spargo
16th July 2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jul 16 2005, 03:03 AM
No, No, No Fluffy Duck!

The iBook is made out of space age rocket ship material! None of this 'plastic Stuff'

/endapplemarketer

:) :) :)
Michael,

The iBook is made of polycarbonate plastic, which last I checked, was just plastic. Here is the information from the Apple site Hardware section. (http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html)

Made from ultratough polycarbonate plastic — the same high-grade material used in bulletproof glass — the iBook’s sleek white case resists impact. While that measure alone might have allowed iBook to comfortably survive everyday use and abuse, Apple engineers took the idea of protecting your investment quite seriously.
Please check your facts before posting, or don't post at all..

LCGuy
16th July 2005, 10:32 PM
spargo, i think he was just joking. ;)

Edge
17th July 2005, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Squozen@Jul 16 2005, 02:13 AM
I've had a couple of very mild shocks from my girlfriend's old 667Mhz TiBook.
Tell me about it.

DVD Plaza
17th July 2005, 12:21 PM
The TiBooks weren't earthed, hence the tingling sensation as you slide your fingers across the metal.

The AlBooks are earthed.