Command + Shift+ 4

Then hit space bar...

Then click on anything you want!

"Window specific screenshots". :)

What other tips have people discovered?

Disko
23rd January 2004, 08:41 PM
Hidden tetris game in terminal:

In a terminal, type "emacs" (without the quotes), hit enter, then press Esc, then x, then type "tetris" and you're in...spacebar and arrows are the keys.

stevejay
27th January 2004, 11:55 AM
Is it me, or are Apple hiding less and exposing more these days? The Tetris easter egg is the first I've come across on any forum.

decryption
27th January 2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by stevejay@Jan 27 2004, 12:55 PM
Is it me, or are Apple hiding less and exposing more these days? The Tetris easter egg is the first I've come across on any forum.
That's not put there by Apple. It's part of emacs, the huge GNU app by Richard Stallman, Apple had nothing to do with that :P

pipsqeek
5th February 2004, 10:54 AM
Keep 'em coming, I am intrigued.

New to OSX. There was a large gap between System 7 and OSX for me.

I missed out on alot.

Steve

Disko
5th February 2004, 10:56 AM
no problem. :)

hold shift while you minimise/maximise or when you use expose. :blink:

stevejay
5th February 2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Feb 5 2004, 11:54 AM
There was a large gap between System 7 and OSX for me.
You didn't miss much, apart from desktop video ;) (more irony, sorry :) )

jameso
5th February 2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Feb 5 2004, 10:54 AM
Keep 'em coming, I am intrigued.

New to OSX. There was a large gap between System 7 and OSX for me.

I missed out on alot.

Steve
if your new to osx just search macosxhints.com for anything you need/want to do and can't figure out. it will usually be there, but remember, if it's not and you work it out you should post back to macosxhints.com so no one else has to repeat your research again.

Share and share alike or something like that

jameso

pipsqeek
5th February 2004, 12:30 PM
I have been on www.macosxhints.com for a few months.

great site. I did discover, on my own, by holding down Apple and selecting one of the Dock's icons you can go to the specific app or whatever is in your dock.

They already knew that.

I did my extended desktop hack from that site. Now my iBook supports dual monitor, not only mirroring anymore but extended. which is handy. I thought it was unfair to have a gfx card capable of displaying in such a manner.

Steve

the_argon
23rd February 2004, 08:14 PM
Here's a good one:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...20645&pid=20884 (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030409015020645&pid=20884)

It's an applescript that will show/hide all of the hidden files in OSX.

**USE WITH CAUTION**

Your Mac is no-one's responsibility but your own, if you manage to screw up something major don't whinge here...

At least do it in the help forum :P

lulujones
25th February 2004, 06:46 AM
everyone might know this already but i just discovered F11. i work with a lot of apps open and i have a lot of things on my messy desktop where i need to find specific items. pressing F11 is a parting of the app sea! i love this.

jameso
25th February 2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by the_argon@Feb 23 2004, 08:14 PM
Here's a good one:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...20645&pid=20884 (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030409015020645&pid=20884)

It's an applescript that will unhide/hide all of the hidden files in OSX.

**USE WITH CAUTION**

Your Mac is no-one's responsibility but your own, if you manage to screw up something major don't whinge here...

At least do it in the help forum :P
This is a good hint but it doesn't change the files it only tells finder to show all items, including those that are marked invisible

jameso

the_argon
25th February 2004, 01:49 PM
Argh, thanks jameso. - That's what I meant

Original post edited anyway

jameso
26th February 2004, 07:51 AM
the_argon, off topic, i just noticed your sig, hanging for the hitchhikers movie?

jameso

kim jong il
1st March 2004, 04:59 PM
My tip is a really simple one.

If you don't own 10.3, you really should. Install it, you'll love it.

OK, I'm being smart but just think about it. What a really nice OS.

cheers, kim

jameso
1st March 2004, 05:20 PM
Panther tip of the day by james o'farrell (came up in discussion on irc.oz.org#macintosh with spectre)

To speed up panther (or jag) disable the crash reporter. to do this edit the file "/etc/hostconfig" and change "CRASHREPORTER=-YES-" to "CRASHREPORTER=-NO-"

This will also stop the Crash Reporter dialog that pops up when an Apple application quits

jameso

the_argon
1st March 2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by jameso@Mar 1 2004, 05:50 PM
To speed up panther (or jag) disable the crash reporter. to do this edit the file "/etc/hostconfig" and change "CRASHREPORTER=-YES-" to "CRASHREPORTER=-NO-"
Anyone tried this yet? Any noticable increase in system performance?

Disko, what's the chance of making this thread sticky?

Disko
1st March 2004, 10:34 PM
senior argonaught - that's a worthy suggestion.

jameso
2nd March 2004, 09:58 AM
the_argon it doesn't make much different but it gets rid of those annoying dialogs

OK, tip for today:

this is a bit of a command line tip but thats how i am feeling

if you use sudo and are getting tired of typing your password all the time there are too things you can do. The first is use

sudo -s

it will ask for your password once then will execute every command from then on as root user (it starts a new shell as root)

The next is a little more complicated so i am going to quote something at macosxhint... here is the link

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...021202054815892 (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021202054815892)

"I was shown this by a friend the other day. If you're not really paranoid, this is quite useful.

I use sudo quite a lot and get bored of typing my password in every time I use it. There is away around this, but only do this if no one else uses your machine or you don't leave your self logged in. Start a terminal and type:
% sudo visudo
Now the only way to edit this file without playing around with chmod and so on is with visudo; this is a command used just to edit the /etc/sudoers file. It also does checks to make sure the formatting is correct. The following is the important part of the file. It basically says user 'root' can do all commands, group 'admin' can do all commands:
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
You need to change this so it has NOPASSWD: before the last "all" for the admin group, so it looks like this:
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
%admin ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
You can also add you username to the file:
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
user_name ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
Note: Those are tabs after the username and group name.

To write and save the file hit ESC (just to be safe) and then :wq, then hit Enter. This basically tells vi to write then quit; if you made an error in the file, it will tell you so and ask you want to do. If this happens, you should always revert and try again, it's a lot easier.

Of course you could always use "sudo tcsh" but I don't like being root when I'm playing around.

[Editor's note: visudo works like vi, so 'man vi' will explain how to use the editor. And please, take the security caution seriously. If someone else can get to your Mac, they will be able to execute commands as root without any authentication. Of course, once someone has physical access to the machine, most bets are off, but this makes it very easy for someone to do bad things to your machine if they so desire. Let me say it again ... this is a really bad thing to do from a security perspective! You'll need to decide if the risk is worth the few seconds of saved typing each time you sudo.]"

The person who wrote this does not mind it repeated it here.

jameso

kim jong il
2nd March 2004, 10:11 AM
EDIT 1: re the above but really only as a non specific general rule:

Consider me old fashioned but somehow I just like it asking for root user permission. It gives me an idea of what is going on. It's like 'be careful what you're doing OK, kim?'

cheers, kim

jameso
2nd March 2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by kim jong il@Mar 2 2004, 10:11 AM
EDIT 1: re the above but really only as a non specific general rule:

Consider me old fashioned but somehow I just like it asking for root user permission. It gives me an idea of what is going on. It's like 'be careful what you're doing OK, kim?'

cheers, kim
HEAD THIS ADVISE

jameso

jameso
3rd March 2004, 11:37 AM
OK, tip of the day.

While using command-tab to switch between open application you can press the q key to quit the currently selected (not activated) application. Also pressing h tells the application to hide. using the ~ key will reverse the selection order (The same as using shit-tab)

jameso

Disko
3rd March 2004, 11:41 AM
and while you're using command-tab to switch between apps, use the mouse to select apps as well.

jameso
4th March 2004, 08:32 AM
Ok, tip for the day.

Fast user switching from the command line

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu\ Extras/User.menu/Contents/Resources/CGSession -suspend

Will fast user switch you to the login windows and

/System/Library/CoreServicnts/Resources/CGSession -switchToUserID 501

Replacing 501 with your UserID (not your username)

You do not need to have fast user switching enabled to use this

jameso

This hint was brought to you by the letters O S and X and the number 10.3

Disko
4th March 2004, 09:37 AM
My Tip of the day:

When browsing any folder, hold 'command' (apple) and click the folder icon at the top of your folder window. It will show the full directory structure of where you are on your HD.

pipsqeek
4th March 2004, 02:58 PM
Also,

when within one app, with many windows open, you can Apple "~" will cycle between the same apps open windows.

Steve

jameso
6th March 2004, 09:12 AM
No tip for yesterday. so i guess i can't really call it tip of the day, ill do two today to make up tho.

First one is too point at "Full keyboard access"

If you go to "Keyboard and Mouse" and select the "Keyboard Shortcuts" tab there is an option to turn on full keyboard access, this allows you too use tab to switch between window elements (like buttons, text field and sliders). While you are there press the ? and read up on setting keyboard shortcuts, the one i always set on any macintosh is "Open URL" too something like command-shift-o so i don't have to dig around in the services menu.

2nd hint.

Do eat yellow snow....

OR

Holding option while clicking the minimize (yellow button) or close (red button) will perform the selected action on every window in the application that is currently on screen

jameso

Currawong
6th March 2004, 06:57 PM
Spectre came across this hint (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040225212536588) about what to do if the window server crashes in OSX. Normally, you have to ssh from another mac to shut down (or hard shutdown the machine), but apparently if you have fast user switching on, the SystemUIServer, which runs all the stuff in the top right-hand corner of the menu bar may still be running, allowing you to login to another user.

the_argon
7th March 2004, 10:44 AM
Ok, here's another good one.

Ever have the problem of archiving (zipping) files on OSX, unarchiving on an older OS and the resource forks are gone?

Here's the solution:

To create a pkzip archive of "some_folder" type:

% ditto -c -k -X --rsrc some_folder some_folder.zip

More info here (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031118111144197).

Currawong
7th March 2004, 12:34 PM
In 10.3, holding down the shift key at boot immediately after the chime has the same effect as in Classic Mac OS - it loads only the bare minimum of the system to start up the computer, good for troubleshooting whether or not installed software is causing problems.

bastion
9th March 2004, 04:23 PM
Select a bit of text and hit CMD-SHIFT-L. Safari should automatically open and search Google with your selected text. This also works with Finder, but I find it quite useless (from Finder).

cogo
12th March 2004, 09:00 AM
marks totaly useless osX hints:

dunno how helpful these are, but they help me heaps

1. drop a shortcut to the '/var/vm' folder in your dock. This tells you how many Virtual Memory files the system has generated....good to know when its time for a reboot (see attachment)

2. right click on your terminal app and there is a "connect to server" panel. good for keeping lists of boxen you need to access frequently

3. SubEthaedit (http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/). My KillerApp for the past few months

4. BOMArchiveHelper cant unzip .zip files that are password protected....and StuffItExpander crops filenames if they are longer than a certain character length (froget off the top of head). Use the command line unzipper instead!

5. You can run pkg installers from the command line...and you dont have to reboot. Eg;

$ sudo installer -pkg /Users/mark/desktop/MacOSXUpdate10.3.2.pkg -target /

i also have instructions to install VNC remotely through SSH, and acess this via a web browser - handy for those remote installs where you need GUI access and stupid network admins wont open any other ports for you. If anyone wants details ill dig them up.

jameso
15th March 2004, 09:43 AM
Ok

the new and improved post of the "Insert random time span here"

Having trouble with your system? can't restart?

Type

sudo SystemStarter -g restart

in the Terminal. This should restart some of the services that are run by osx. Using -g displays that cute little boot panel.

jameso

pipsqeek
6th May 2004, 01:05 AM
I just saw this happen at the Sydney WWDC on Thurs 6th May 2004.

The Apple guy had his desktop full of open windows. He dragged for what appeard to be one of the windows and sort like, tucked it behind the others. I ws amazed at how he did that....so much so I forgot to ask.

Anyway, Disko figured it out while I was racking everyone brain on IRC.

You hold down the "Apple" or "Command" Key while clicking on an inactive window, and you can drag it anywhere on the desktop behind the active window.

keeping the existing windows active, and the one you dragged out of the way inactive.

Steve

varsis
6th May 2004, 02:47 PM
Here press F9 or F10 screen should blur i don't know what this if for but it's there:P

Disko
6th May 2004, 03:01 PM
Varsis, if you're using 10.3.3 - then you've just discovered it's "Big" feature, "exposť".

Depending on how you set it up, it will hide all windows with a hit of F11, Expose all windows in the current App with F10 and Expose all windows with a hit of F9...

tip: you need more than 1 window open for exposť to work.

Disko
27th May 2004, 10:45 AM
In address book, if you have a bluetooth enabled phone, you can pair it with address book by pressing the bluetooth button in the toolbar. Then :cmd: + clicking any phone number will give you a context menu in which you can send an sms via your phone.

Also with the paired bluetooth enabled, you will receive notification of phonecalls on your screen. Great for when you have your mobile on silent in an office environment.

Febs
17th June 2004, 10:22 PM
A few oldies that newer Mac users may not be aware of:

- In a Finder window, cmd-clicking on the window's title will allow you to navigate all the parent directories.

- Cmd+down arrow is the same as cmd-o (open). cmd+up arrow will navigate up through the directory hierarchy (I use these ones ALL the time).

- Opt-click outside an application to hide it quickly.

- Cmd-opt-drag something to create an alias of it.

..and some Exposť features people mightn't be aware of:

- You can grab a file/folder while all windows are minimised (F11), hold onto it, then drop it somewhere when all the windows maximise again (hard to explain).

- If you have a multi-button mouse, assign one button to F9 (if running Panther). I find it very, very handy.

Cheers,
- Febs.

Currawong
24th June 2004, 10:48 AM
I've added the following lines to my /etc/crontab file:

# Weekly permissions repair
50 3 * * 5 root /usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions /dev/disk0s9

For those not in the know, the file is a list of commands to be run at specific times. Commands can be set to run from a specific hour, day of week or day of month or any combination of the above. In the one above, it repairs permissions at 3:50am on the 5th day of the week. If you put this in your own file (requires knowledge of terminal and the command line), then set a time that your computer will be switched on, as well as the correct disk to be checked. The part: "/dev/disk0s9" is correct for me and should be right for any computer that boots from its primary HD but may not work for everyone.

The reason for having permissions repaired weekly, is many problems with OSX have been attirubted to some or other program or installer modifying the permissions of system files, resulting in programs or parts of the system not working as they should.

Disko
26th June 2004, 04:20 PM
Enable Safari's hidden debug menu

open terminal, and enter:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1.

This enables many extras in Safari. Check out the screen shot below.

pipsqeek
7th July 2004, 11:19 PM
Just discovered this tonight.

Been told that its already on the macosxhints.com site.

But its not here, so I'll post it anyway.

If you are dragging and dropping files from one directory to another, and you run into this obsticle that the destination directory is hidden behind a number of other windows. you can still hold down the mouse button, mouse over to the desired window and hit the spacebar.

This will select that window and bring the directory to the foreground.

If you change your mind, you can just mouse over the original directory and the window will pop back up without the spacebar.

Try it by opening up a few windows, and drag a file to the hidden window. but hit spacebar to bring it to the front. just made life easier.

Steve

Febs
8th July 2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jul 7 2004, 11:19 PM
<tip>
Nice tip. :)

Of course those with 10.3 can just use Exposť. Very handy I find, with one of my mouse buttons set to F9.

Cheers,
- Febs.

pipsqeek
8th July 2004, 10:36 PM
yeah but even in expose, you can make all windows appear, mouseover to the window you want, let the mouse button go, and the files copy to the destination....small problem..the destination I was thinking of is a directory inside that window. you can drag the files to individual directory folders while expose-ing. Once you expose, mouseover while holding the files over the window you want, then you still have to hit a key, like space for example to get that window you mouse is over to come to the front, then select the directory inside that window to copy to.

But with my tip, you can bring the destination window that the folder you want to copy the files to is in.

In other words, you want to copy them to a Dir in the window that is open, not the dir the window is open in. ??make sense??

:)

So, none the less, I see what you are saying, but with this tip, you same time by one less keystroke as well as avoiding using expose, which as flashy and useful as it is, under this circumstance, its more efficient and quicker to do it my way.

But then again, each to their own.

Steve

Disko
27th August 2004, 11:15 AM
Got another one:

open any finder window and hold :cmd: and drag a directory, file or app into the toolbar. Its a very handy spot for the calculator. :)

dev_enter
31st August 2004, 12:32 AM
Want to take a screenshot of a DVD?

Grab won&#39;t work.
Shortcut keys won&#39;t work.

3rd party utils might work, but why use them?

But run sleep 10 && screencapture -c from Terminal then fullscreen your DVD Player, wait for 10 seconds to pass, :cmd: + N in Preview and voila&#33;

Ozi
31st August 2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by varsis@May 6 2004, 02:47 PM
Here press F9 or F10 screen should blur i don&#39;t know what this if for but it&#39;s there:P
yeah its my backlit keyboard controls&#33; :D

Ozi
31st August 2004, 11:37 PM
When you have heaps of aplications open, its often cool to :cmd: tab through them.

But if you go past an application, you have to keep pressing tab to move through the whole list all over again.

Instes, when you have lots of apps open, do :cmd: tab and release the tab key (but keep holding the :cmd: one down) and press tilder ~ key. This will cycle you in a right-to-left direction through your open applications, rather than :cmd: tab which is left to right. I found this by accident this afternoon. :D

jobe
31st August 2004, 11:47 PM
eh?

orrrrr... you can press :cmd: + tab, release tab and hold :cmd: then use your directional keys (right and left) or EVEN THE MOUSE&#33; to select any app you want. Absolute brilliance&#33;

the thing that took a while to get used to when comming from a pc was the way macs run apps. in windows, you open a few IEs and each one is treated as a seperate instance of the app whereas in OSX, you get extra windows but the app has only one instance and you cannot use :cmd: + tab to switch between them.

dev_enter
31st August 2004, 11:56 PM
But you can use :cmd: + ~ to switch between windows of the same kind.

:cmd: + Tab to the App you need, then :cmd: + ~ to the window you need. :)

Much better this way than the MS Windows way. :)

jobe
31st August 2004, 11:59 PM
it&#39;s just not the same. It doesn&#39;t have a cool icon bar thingo come up like with :cmd: + tab

pipsqeek
1st September 2004, 12:01 AM
But you can have one app at the forefront, such as IE (not that I use it). and just hit, the :cmd: + "~" key to cycle between windows in the same app.

Steve

EDIT: Damn it, you guys beat me to it. I was replying to other posts as well as chating on IRC, ICQ and iChat.

Ozi
1st September 2004, 12:17 AM
or for the ultimate in cool, just use exposť and minimise every window so they are tiled across your screen, and choose which one you want. This OS rocks. :)

Quamen
1st September 2004, 07:07 AM
Yea Ozi you beat me to it. I was going to say, if you need to switch between the windows of a certain app. Just hit F10. Love expose.

jobe
6th September 2004, 11:52 AM
hey. just wondering how to move an item in osx. Like in windows you press ctrl+X to cut it, and ctrl+v to paste it where everyou want. At the moment, I&#39;m stuckign copying it with :cmd: + c then flipping to the folder I want it in, pasting it. flipping back and deleting it. Gets kinda annoying. Especially when I have heaps of windows open. I know you can drag and drop but with too many windows open it&#39;s a bit of a mission to get them to line up properly.

the_argon
6th September 2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Sep 6 2004, 11:22 AM
hey. just wondering how to move an item in osx. Like in windows you press ctrl+X to cut it, and ctrl+v to paste it where everyou want. At the moment, I&#39;m stuckign copying it with :cmd: + c then flipping to the folder I want it in, pasting it. flipping back and deleting it. Gets kinda annoying. Especially when I have heaps of windows open. I know you can drag and drop but with too many windows open it&#39;s a bit of a mission to get them to line up properly.
The easiest way is to drag and drop is with spring loaded folders it really isnt that hard at all&#33; Just grab the file, drag it over the icons on the left of the finder window, then over the folders. When in the desired location let go of the mouse button and voila&#33;

Another way to do it is using exposŤ. I have my mac setup so placing the cursor in the top right corner of the screen activates exposŤ. I drag a file from the source window up to the top right corner, hover over the destination window to select it and then release the file into the folder.

Hope this helps

Bima
11th September 2004, 07:25 PM
I have just attempted that patch but in my hostconfig file there is no "crash reporter" ??
##
# /etc/hostconfig
##
# This file is maintained by the system control panels
##

# Network configuration
HOSTNAME=-AUTOMATIC-
ROUTER=-AUTOMATIC-

# Services
AFPSERVER=-NO-
APPLETALK=-NO-
AUTHSERVER=-NO-
AUTOMOUNT=-YES-
CONFIGSERVER=-NO-
CUPS=-YES-
IPFORWARDING=-NO-
IPV6=-YES-
MAILSERVER=-NO-
NETBOOTSERVER=-NO-
NETINFOSERVER=-AUTOMATIC-
NISDOMAIN=-NO-
RPCSERVER=-AUTOMATIC-
TIMESYNC=-YES-
QTSSERVER=-NO-
SSHSERVER=-NO-
WEBSERVER=-NO-
SMBSERVER=-NO-
DNSSERVER=-NO- :huh:

kim jong il
11th September 2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Bima@Sep 11 2004, 07:25 PM
I have just attempted that patch but in my hostconfig file there is no "crash reporter" ??
##
# /etc/hostconfig
##
##
.................. :huh:
Firstly; welcome Bima.

Clarification required.

What patch are you referring to? Which post did the patch you are referring to come from (where or what is it? Could you quote it? There is nothing in the last 10 posts that seems related to your inquiry). I only ask because unless I can place this in context it is sort of meaningless to me (I&#39;m guessing a few others as well possibly)

PS there is no file on ANY of my machines that contains &#39;crash reporter&#39; visible, hidden or otherwise so I am extra lost.

pipsqeek
12th September 2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by the_argon+Sep 6 2004, 03:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the_argon @ Sep 6 2004, 03:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-jobe@Sep 6 2004, 11:22 AM
The easiest way is to drag and drop is with spring loaded folders it really isnt that hard at all&#33; Just grab the file, drag it over the icons on the left of the finder window, then over the folders. When in the desired location let go of the mouse button and voila&#33;

Another way to do it is using exposŤ. I have my mac setup so placing the cursor in the top right corner of the screen activates exposŤ. I drag a file from the source window up to the top right corner, hover over the destination window to select it and then release the file into the folder.

Hope this helps [/b][/quote]
And for those that are truely gifted :P

You can select what you want to move to another location. Expose. Once you have the window you want to go to in your sights, rather then mouse over to it and let the mouse button go, keep holding it down, mouse over to the window, click "Space" which will go out of Expose and bring forth the selected window. Then you can mouse over to your desired Directory inside that window, let go of the mouse button and your done. Or more so, mouse over to the directory you want, click "Space" again and it will open that directory in a new window, or navigate to the directory, and if your hdd is set up like mine, I have a very organised and hierarchical directory structure that never needs searching...Hence Spotlight will be les useful to me then for others. If your desired target is that deep, this function comes in useful.

Steve

Bima
12th September 2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by kim jong il+Sep 11 2004, 08:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kim jong il @ Sep 11 2004, 08:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bima@Sep 11 2004, 07:25 PM
##
# /etc/hostconfig
##
##
.................. :huh:
Firstly; welcome Bima.

Clarification required.

What patch are you referring to? Which post did the patch you are referring to come from (where or what is it? Could you quote it? There is nothing in the last 10 posts that seems related to your inquiry). I only ask because unless I can place this in context it is sort of meaningless to me (I&#39;m guessing a few others as well possibly)

PS there is no file on ANY of my machines that contains &#39;crash reporter&#39; visible, hidden or otherwise so I am extra lost. [/b][/quote]
Thanks for the welcome and this was the post I was refering to, I guess it was a mistake to say "Patch" more a unix command yeah, but I couldn&#39;t fine the line "Crash Reporter" in that "Host Config" file as you would have seen in the pasted copy of the text in the file.

jameso
Posted: Mar 1 2004, 05:20 PM
Panther tip of the day by james o&#39;farrell (came up in discussion on irc.oz.org#macintosh with spectre)

This will also stop the Crash Reporter dialog that pops up when an Apple application quits
jameso[I]

pipsqeek
12th October 2004, 01:34 PM
I just discovered a new key combo. its kinda weird.

Holding down Ctrl key, press F1 to enable. If it isn&#39;t already. you will know after the next bit.

Whilst still holding down Ctrl, tap F2, should bring up the Apple Menu

Ctrl +F3 will allow you to scroll through the Dock with the arrow keys

Ctrl +F4 is like Apple +Tab without the visual Applications bar across the screen showing up.

Pressing Crtl +F1 again, disables this.

pipsqeek

pipsqeek
28th October 2004, 10:41 AM
Found another one.

Pretty stupid but another key combo none the less.

Hold down Command :cmd: and hit "TAB" and "Tilda (~)" simultanously.

This will adjust the volume down. I have not figured out what key combo adjusts it back up.

Its pretty useless as most of us will have up/down volume control on our k/b&#39;s but my old iMac one doesn&#39;t, so it can come in handy. :)

pipsqeek

mjankor
28th October 2004, 06:58 PM
Hmm that doesn&#39;t work for me.

internet
1st November 2004, 09:57 PM
is it just me or in 10.3.5 is CRASHREPORTER not run from /etc/hostconfig anymore?

i was just turning off cups (don&#39;t even have a printer on this mac) and i realised crashreporter was no longer in there...

anyone know where it&#39;s gone?

internet
1st November 2004, 10:21 PM
scram on #apple helped out..

he found it in /System/Library/Startupitems

it appears /etc/hostconfig still overrides this though, as BIND is present in my aforementioned start up folder, but disabled in /etc/hostconfig, and there is no named processes visable..

elvis
5th November 2004, 09:26 AM
I have a request, and also a trick I found by accident:

When using FireFox, you can move between tabs by clicking :cmd: plus the tab number. Very handy. In Safari, the same command sequence opens the corresponding bookmark in your bookmark bar in your current window. Also very handy, but not what I wanted it to do. :)

Does anyone know how to quickly jump between tabs within Safari without using the mouse?

Disko
5th November 2004, 09:43 AM
sure do :)

:cmd: + shift + left or right

Cam
5th November 2004, 11:02 AM
I dont know if this has been posted yet or not. But, I found this to be very handy.

If your sick of .dmg&#39;s waiting to load..

Make a test document with ( shell script )... Then go into terminal and chmod 755 it.

#&#33;/bin/csh -f
/usr/bin/hdid "&#036;1"

Download DropScript at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix...dropscript.html (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/dropscript.html) and drag your shell script onto DropScript to create a MacOS X Binary of it.

Now all you need to do is associate .dmg&#39;s with your binary. DMG&#39;s load in a Jiffy&#33;

elvis
5th November 2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Nov 5 2004, 09:43 AM
sure do :)

:cmd: + shift + left or right
Legend. :)

[EDIT]

and I&#39;m a moron for not exploring the options under the "Window" menu&#33; :rolleyes:

jimmy
5th November 2004, 11:54 AM
Does anyone know what button the squiggly line is?

Thanks

Jimmy

the_argon
5th November 2004, 08:48 PM
Option

bozonator
17th November 2004, 06:16 PM
I just found an easy way to change the application a file opens with.

In the Finder, ctrl-click on a file to bring up the context menu. While the menu is open, press Option and the "Open With" item changes to "Always Open With".

It doesn&#39;t change the icon, but hey... you can&#39;t have everything.

-- Bozonator

Whitey Ford
27th November 2004, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Disko@May 27 2004, 10:45 AM
In address book, if you have a bluetooth enabled phone, you can pair it with address book by pressing the bluetooth button in the toolbar. Then :cmd: + clicking any phone number will give you a context menu in which you can send an sms via your phone.

Also with the paired bluetooth enabled, you will receive notification of phonecalls on your screen. Great for when you have your mobile on silent in an office environment.
That tip is so hot it hurts.

/me runs off to get his bluetooth phone

aygeepea
14th December 2004, 10:17 AM
Here&#39;s one I found which might be of use.....
When you are saving a file and you want to name it as a similar name to another file but you can&#39;t be bothered typing it all out, all you have to do is get to the save dialogue and when the finder window comes up to show you where you are going to save it, you click on or next to the file name you like and it puts it in the file name dialogue box for you :D
Cheers
aygeepea

jobe
26th December 2004, 04:58 PM
is there any way to view the actual address of anchor tags. Like this (http://www.google.com). In winblows you could right click->properties and see the actual target. I ask because (like most people) I am constantly getting fraud ebay e-mails. I used to just check where the link was targeted, just to confirm it was a fraud. But I cannot figure it out in safari.

Danamania
26th December 2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by jobe@Dec 26 2004, 04:58 PM
is there any way to view the actual address of anchor tags. Like this (http://bleh_ble_ bleh). In winblows you could right click->properties and see the actual target. I ask because (like most people) I am constantly getting fraud ebay e-mails. I used to just check where the link was targeted, just to confirm it was a fraud. But I cannot figure it out in safari.
Go into Safari and select Status Bar under the View menu. That&#39;s where URLs show when you rollover them

dana

kim jong il
26th December 2004, 07:33 PM
Quoting Jobe (a couple of posts back)

is there any way to view the actual address of anchor tags. Like this (http://bleh_ble_ bleh). In winblows you could right click->properties and see the actual target.
Jobe, alternatively you can also left click on a URL and try to drag it (just a centimetre will do) and a grey window appears at the (mouse) pointer location showing both the tag you are dragging/have selected and its target URL.

Rayd
26th December 2004, 11:20 PM
is there a way like apple + ~ to bring up a minimised window? i always want this as i always minimise my windows. :D

jobe
22nd January 2005, 12:47 AM
Schweeeet. I just taught myself all the terminal ftp commands while trying to connect to my friends xbox to leech. Sure, there&#39;s the help command, but it&#39;s not overly useful, just listing the commands and not what they do. But it took a while. Please don&#39;t tell me OSX has a built in FTP program?

Rayd
22nd January 2005, 01:06 AM
why didnt you just use transmit? and yes OS X does have a built in FTP program so does IE and Safari :)

v1llage1d1ot
10th April 2005, 10:08 PM
I&#39;ve got my applications folder on my dock, that way you can right click (or control click) on it and it will bring up a list of the contents, similar to a "start" bar, but much better looking.

1st May 2005, 10:48 AM
New tip:

If you&#39;ve ever navigated deep down a bunch of folders in the Finder and then want to save a file there from something like Textedit?

Click Save in Textedit, and with the save dialogue open, go to the Finder, click and drag the folder and drop it on the save dialogue in Textedit. That will take you directly to the folder.

;)

zeddie2001
27th May 2005, 09:16 PM
One thing that really bugged me about Tiger was Dashboard in the Dock. Seemed stupid to me. Luckily, in Tiger, Apple released a way to remove icons from the Dock, simply control (right) click on the icon and select "Remove from Dock." So obvious, yet I searched for ages trying to figure it out. :lol:

Buthidae
27th May 2005, 09:52 PM
also, you can just drag icons out of the dock, and with a (literal&#33;) poof&#33; of smoke, they dissapear :)

yitzyf
20th June 2005, 09:26 PM
I don&#39;t know if these have been said already, but there&#39;s the old, old, old :cmd: tab, which switches applications. Funny thing was, I saw a Windows user who was just converting - first time at a Mac - and being used to Alt-Tab, automatically went to :cmd: tab, which was where I learnt that one.

You can close Widgets in slowmo by shift - closing them, ie shift-option close.

There&#39;s my 0.02 worth

boydi!
21st June 2005, 04:50 AM
Hold down :cmd:-Shift-A
It brings up the Application&#39;s Folder.
Very helpful for those who like myself like to be as minimal as possible when it comes to the dock and desktop.

fonhiew
22nd June 2005, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by v1llage1d1ot@Apr 10 2005, 10:08 PM
I&#39;ve got my applications folder on my dock, that way you can right click (or control click) on it and it will bring up a list of the contents, similar to a "start" bar, but much better looking.
how do u get the app folder onto the dock? thanks

MacDave
23rd June 2005, 07:16 AM
Any folder or document can be dragged to the right of the Dock seperator (just to the left of the trash).

marc
23rd June 2005, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by boydi&#33;@Jun 21 2005, 04:50 AM
Very helpful for those who like myself like to be as minimal as possible when it comes to the dock and desktop.
And Apple-shift-U for utilities. Control-clicking the separator bar on the dock brings up a menu with dock options.

pipsqeek
24th June 2005, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by boydi&#33;@Jun 21 2005, 04:50 AM
That only works, in the Finder.

Try it in Safari, and you&#39;ll get something else ;)

pipsqeek

Felix
25th June 2005, 12:27 PM
Got another one:

open any finder window and hold and drag a directory, file or app into the toolbar. Its a very handy spot for the calculator.

Awesome hint... and the bluetooth phone with address book. I put it to use straight away.

designers_hub
26th June 2005, 06:19 PM
Apple + S (next)
Apple + A (previous)

changes the visualization in itune. THERE ARE SO MANY&#33; and most look the same LOL

mvjs
10th July 2005, 04:15 PM
I hope this hasn&#39;t been posted, but this is really useful.

1. Put your mouse over a word in all Apple Applications application

2. Type this key sequence - Control + Cmd + D

This shows a dictanary meaning for the mouse overed word.

Really cool :)

mwot
10th July 2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jul 10 2005, 04:15 PM

1. Put your mouse over a word in ANY application

Agree. This is a great feature. However, I think you&#39;ll find it only works with Apple applications - it dosen&#39;t work in Word, for instance, or Firefox, though works in Safari and Pages.

mvjs
10th July 2005, 10:20 PM
Oh, Ok

Sorry, I&#39;ve edited the post :)

froggy
11th July 2005, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by michaelvjsmyth@Jul 10 2005, 04:15 PM

1. Put your mouse over a word in all Apple Applications application

Does this work in 10.3? Cos I can&#39;t get it to go :(

mvjs
11th July 2005, 08:16 AM
No, A Brand new Tiger feature

bonifatio
20th July 2005, 11:48 PM
OK here&#39;s a simple one..
Press and Hold &#39;F12&#39; key for 5 seconds .. see what comes out..

Caveman
31st July 2005, 11:56 AM
Here is a little tip. Been using it with tiger. No idea if it works for panther.

When browsing the web with safari or firefox press the the space bar to scroll or jump down a page. and Shift space to jump back up.

Caveman

froggy
31st July 2005, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Caveman@Jul 31 2005, 11:56 AM
Here is a little tip. Been using it with tiger. No idea if it works for panther.

When browsing the web with safari or firefox press the the space bar to scroll or jump down a page. and Shift space to jump back up.

Caveman
Thanks, Caveman.

Works with Jaguar. I&#39;m using Camino browser.

Cheers

richbowen
2nd August 2005, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by Caveman@Jul 31 2005, 11:56 AM

This is not unique to Macs ... same key combo works on Internet Explorer running on Windows :ph34r:

pipsqeek
9th August 2005, 11:05 AM
Found this by accident this morning.

Option + Mouse Click any Dock icon.

It hides the app. Click it again and it does some other weird hiding stuff.

pipsqeek

zac
9th August 2005, 11:15 AM
This isn&#39;t so much a tip as a personal preference that I think works really well. Instead of using the keyboard or screen corners for expose, I use my right mouse button but make it so if I am holding control it will show the desktop, holding option and clicking will show all apps, and command will do just the application windows. Give it a try, its great.

nocash
8th September 2005, 07:59 PM
Some pretty rad stuff here, very handy indeed
So here is mine.
Instead of opening a new window, in Finder, to move stuff around from one folder to another folder far away, grab the item you want to move and hold it over where you want to go and it will open the window in which you want to go.
Hard to explain o_0

ie. you want a .jpg file that is in your &#39;Documents&#39; folder but you want the .jpg file in a folder called &#39;Crap&#39; and that is inside your &#39;Pictures&#39; folder, you then grab the .jpg file and hover it over the &#39;Picture&#39; folders shortcut on the side panel (it will flicker) and then you will be inside the &#39;Picture&#39; folder then you can just drop the .jpg file in folder &#39;Crap&#39; :D yay
It is very handy when you are moving stuff deep through alot of folders.

Trust me, its easier than I have tryed to explain :)

andrewcod
13th October 2005, 10:03 PM
Also nocash, if you press the space bar while holding a file over a folder, it opens it up straight away rather than having to wait 2-3 seconds for it to open by itself.

fompsweeva
4th December 2005, 08:32 PM
When you&#39;re on the internet in Safari, and you want to download something but it&#39;ll only load in your browser window, and not give you a prompt. (E.g. an mp3 opens with quicktime inside Safari, but you&#39;d rather download it for later)

Hold down Command and push Enter. This will automatically download the file Safari&#39;s default place.

Rayd
4th December 2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by fompsweeva@Dec 4 2005, 09:32 PM
When you&#39;re on the internet in Safari, and you want to download something but it&#39;ll only load in your browser window, and not give you a prompt. (E.g. an mp3 opens with quicktime inside Safari, but you&#39;d rather download it for later)

Hold down Command and push Enter. This will automatically download the file Safari&#39;s default place.
its actually option, but if you hold command down it will open it in a new tab :)

marc
4th December 2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by mwot@Jul 10 2005, 10:15 PM
Agree. This is a great feature. However, I think you&#39;ll find it only works with Apple applications - it dosen&#39;t work in Word, for instance, or Firefox, though works in Safari and Pages.
It should work in any application using standard OS X text input fields. Word has custom text handling routines, so it&#39;s a no go.

Aa
4th December 2005, 11:40 PM
How about cmd and click and drag your menubar items around...
i like it.

oh, and i discovered this the other day.

If you need to save mac files with non windows friendly names(ie mac apps) to a MS DOS formatted drive (lets say a windows ipod) just archive them first and unarchive them when the are back on a mac.
peachy.

mwot
17th January 2006, 08:44 PM
well, i&#39;m sure most of you Mac savvies know this already, but I&#39;ve just discovered ... Finder windows have miniature Trashcans in the bottom left corner, so you drag and drop there to delete rather than to the Trashcan in the Dock&#33;

:thumbup:

So, how out of date am I? I&#39;m assuming that&#39;s been there for quite some time :D

garrymacdonald
18th January 2006, 10:08 AM
Cmd + ~ will cycle through open windows within an application

soulman
4th February 2006, 10:45 AM
I&#39;m surprised this hasn&#39;t come up here before but John Gruber wrote a typically fascinating piece last year about some of the less obvious features & irritations of Tiger (http://daringfireball.net/misc/2005/04/tiger_details) on his Daring Fireball (http://daringfireball.net/) blog. It&#39;s all good but check out this section about Dictionary (http://daringfireball.net/misc/2005/04/tiger_details#dictionary) for some pretty cool info on the extent of its integration into Cocoa apps.

takumi
5th April 2006, 11:12 PM
Does anyone know if there is a nice compiled list of all these nice little shortcuts
OR
a good quality guide for a windows user looking to do more advanced things than in the Learning Mac 101??

Thanks

p53
3rd July 2006, 05:43 PM
here&#39;s one i just discovered:
control d to delete the character in front of the cursor

froggy
4th July 2006, 12:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p53 &#064; Jul 3 2006, 05&#58;43 PM) 191341</div>

[/b]Hmmmm, I can&#39;t get that one to work. Is it new in 10.4? I&#39;m using 10.3.9.

What applications have you tried it in?

Cheers,
Andrew

p53
4th July 2006, 01:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(froggy &#064; Jul 4 2006, 12&#58;46 PM) 191614</div>

Hmmmm, I can&#39;t get that one to work. Is it new in 10.4? I&#39;m using 10.3.9.

What applications have you tried it in?

Cheers,
Andrew
[/b]
Hi Andrew
I&#39;m using 10.4.6
I discovered it in TextEdit and it works in Safari, Mail, iCal, and Adium.
Doesn&#39;t work in Firefox.
that&#39;s all i&#39;ve tested in so far.

gizo
4th July 2006, 01:10 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p53 &#064; Jul 3 2006, 05&#58;43 PM) 191341</div>

[/b]

i just use Function+Delete (maybe thats just a portable thing?)

HDK
4th July 2006, 01:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(takumi &#064; Apr 5 2006, 11&#58;12 PM) 159631</div>

Does anyone know if there is a nice compiled list of all these nice little shortcuts
[/b]

here&#39;s some. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75459

Doesn&#39;t include some of the more exciting ones that you learn about through user experience.

froggy
4th July 2006, 02:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(p53 &#064; Jul 4 2006, 01&#58;05 PM) 191618</div>

Hi Andrew
I&#39;m using 10.4.6
I discovered it in TextEdit and it works in Safari, Mail, iCal, and Adium.
Doesn&#39;t work in Firefox.
that&#39;s all i&#39;ve tested in so far.
[/b]
Thanks, it works in TextEdit, Adium, Safari, iCal and Mail for me, too, but not in Camino.

Thanks for the tip&#33;

Cheers,
Andrew

p53
4th July 2006, 04:18 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gringo &#064; Jul 4 2006, 01&#58;10 PM) 191622</div>

i just use Function+Delete (maybe thats just a portable thing?)
[/b]
There&#39;s also the dedicated &#39;del&#39; button on most keyboards, but it&#39;s nice to have more options esp. on a laptop where the &#39;fn&#39; and &#39;delete&#39; keys are too far apart to be able to reach with one hand.

pipsqeek
16th October 2006, 09:28 AM
EDIT: I've mentioned this before, but it's so handy, I think it deserves another.

If you have two windows open, one on top of the other. You can scroll the window behind the front one (as long as it's viewable). Without having to make it active, bringing it to the front.

Say you have Safari open, and a small IM chat window open above it. And you are chatting to a mate, who is telling you about a website, and you don't want to keep swapping between windows... you can hold down the Apple key and click on the scroll bar of Safari, then drag the mouse.

The Safari window will scroll, but stay inactive, while you still have the window in the foreground active.

cabel
10th April 2007, 09:01 PM
A search bought up this thread but the entry must be a few pages back...

Basically, I had to pose as IE6 today to do some banking (using Safari). I used the

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

in the Terminal (before opening Safari and making the necessary changes in the Debug Menu), but was curious to know what the downsides are to leaving it activated? (apart from the obvious shame ,)

Thanks,

soulman
10th April 2007, 09:05 PM
I've had it on for years on my main machine. Don't notice Safari being any more buggy there than other machines I use.

iMic
10th April 2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the Safari tip. I'll have to try it some time. Now, I contribute something back to you all. Not sure if it's been posted already (I skipped a few) but it's interesting either way.

There is an interesting Panther (and Tiger) dock feature that enables a small blue Aqua blob that floats above all other windows, as seen in the top portion of the screenshot to the left. When you mouse into the blob, it hilights. When you click on it, Exposť comes on in "Application Windows" mode (higlight all windows of the frontmost app while dimming others). You can move the blob around as you might expect - click and drag it to a new location. To enable the Blob, type the following into the Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-floater -bool true
killall Dock

To disable the Blob again, just replace True with False:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-floater -bool false
killall Dock

EDIT: I just tried it in Tiger, and it works! It's like a Dashboard widget to trigger Exposť! Nice, but I probably won't keep it.

richbowen
23rd January 2009, 06:09 AM
Does anyone know how to speed up widget refreshes? I know that CMD-R will refresh, but I remember something about clearing out the cache for slow loading widgets - any ideas?