PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard on Mac Mini

afton
5th September 2009, 03:58 PM
Considering that Snow is optimized for performance, I'm considering
to get a Mac Mini since I already have a 23" Samsung LCD.

Has anyone tried Snow Leopard on a Mac Mini?

appletoast
5th September 2009, 04:03 PM
Nope though my old imac specs aren't as good as the new minis and it runs as smooth as.

afton
5th September 2009, 04:38 PM
Nope though my old imac specs aren't as good as the new minis and it runs as smooth as.

Err sorry forgot to add more details :)
I'm actually going really cheapo this time so gonna get a used one from
eBay - 1.66 GHz, 2 gig RAM and 80 gig HDD.

What is your iMac specs?

Geoff3DMN
5th September 2009, 04:59 PM
I have a few mac minis at work 1 of the current ones with 9400M graphics and 2 earlier ones with intel graphics.

The earlier intel graphics machines run snow leopard just as well as the later version as far as I can tell (with the exceptions of HD video and games).

Dust For Eyes
5th September 2009, 05:21 PM
My 2008 Mini is running SL just fine though I'm having an issue with EyeTV.

DJY
5th September 2009, 05:36 PM
My superdrive is playing up in my Mac mini so haven't been able to get Snow Leopard on it yet... but I'm not expecting any problems.

I got rid of my component stereo for my home theatre system several years ago - and exclusively use the Mac mini which displays on my LCD TV, and sound output via 5 x B & W speakers.

Angsty
5th September 2009, 06:10 PM
My Mac Mini was ordered last week and I asked for Leopard instead of Snow Leopard to be installed on it. I may consider an upgrade of all 3 of my machines to 10.6 over xmas break....

samuelowens
5th September 2009, 06:24 PM
My superdrive is playing up in my Mac mini so haven't been able to get Snow Leopard on it yet... but I'm not expecting any problems.

I got rid of my component stereo for my home theatre system several years ago - and exclusively use the Mac mini which displays on my LCD TV, and sound output via 5 x B & W speakers.

Don't forget target disk mode through Firewire (I had to put Snow Leopard on my MBP that way).

I'm running Snow Leopard successfully on a current gen mini and one of the original Core Duo models with 2GB of RAM. Well worth it, although the new Mini does seem to use more of the available 2GB it has...

appletoast
5th September 2009, 07:01 PM
Err sorry forgot to add more details :)
I'm actually going really cheapo this time so gonna get a used one from
eBay - 1.66 GHz, 2 gig RAM and 80 gig HDD.

What is your iMac specs?

1.83 GHz, 2gig RAM, 160HDD

cecilroy
5th September 2009, 07:56 PM
I've been having problems with dropped frames playing dvds in DVD player and Frontrow since upgrading my early 2009 mini to SL. There are quite a few reports from others experiencing this across the web. According to this report (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/09/04/more_details_on_mac_os_x_10_6_1_fixes_and_enhancem ents.html), DVD Player is a focal point for 10.6.1. I'm hoping this will fix it.

KlaasVisser
5th September 2009, 09:17 PM
No problems running 10.6 on pre 2009 Mac Mini (1.83GHz Core2Duo, self upgraded to 4GB ram and 320GB 7200rpm HDD).

twombles_62
5th September 2009, 11:10 PM
I wouldn't buy that Mac Mini if I were you. Snow Leopard performances increases will be coming alot from the 64 bit technology. The 1.66ghz processor is a Core Duo, so it's 32 bit due to the one core. It's also from 2006, so is most likely close to the end of it's life.

If you really need to buy a cheaper one, go from later 2007 or newer. That'll be 1.83khz or 2.0khz.

aafuss
6th September 2009, 06:43 AM
I'm running SL on a 1.5GHz Core Solo Mac mini (upgraded to 2GB RAM). It doesn't support OpenCL or 64-bit, but that's fine by me.

Geoff3DMN
6th September 2009, 07:58 AM
I've been having problems with dropped frames playing dvds in DVD player and Frontrow

I've been having this problem but only in DVD player, not front row.

I hadn't noticed it earlier (when I previously posted) because I don't play many DVD's, most of my media is digital.

jdagis
6th September 2009, 10:04 AM
Did an upgrade install from 10.4.11 and haven't had any problems at all—in fact the speed boost in all areas is quite noticeable. 1.66 core duo intel mini.