PDA

View Full Version : Updating software

Oznewbie
4th September 2009, 12:25 PM
I have a 500MB limit for the month with my ISP. The last couple of months the downloads to update my software have been bigger than this so I'm paying a lot more and having to put up with a very much slowed down connection.
Is there any other way of accessing the updates? Does Mac put them out on disc or anything?

gehenna
4th September 2009, 12:26 PM
How much are you paying for your 500MB? The cost of much much larger plans is very very cheap, so it seems odd you're on such a small cap?

Dust For Eyes
4th September 2009, 12:46 PM
Do you have a laptop?

Perhaps you could take it somewhere that has wifi.

Oznewbie
4th September 2009, 12:53 PM
I've got a 500MB limit for $29.95 through Hotkey. I've had it for years. I don't think they even offer it anymore.
The past two months it has jumped to $59 after paying so much per MB extra. It is capped at the $59, then the connection is slowed down to dial up speed.
I'd probably pay extra because I have for two months anyway but things are a bit tight now due to my being on extended sickleave.

Oznewbie
4th September 2009, 12:54 PM
No, don't have a laptop.

gehenna
4th September 2009, 12:59 PM
For $29.95 iiNet will give you 4GB a month (2GB on peak, 2GB off peak)....
thats eight times better value than you're getting now.

For the same price you can get 8GB from TPG - (3GB on peak, 5GB off peak)...16 times better value :)

Have you considered moving to a new ISP?

Oznewbie
4th September 2009, 01:07 PM
Now I have.
I'll have to investigate and see if either are available in the outback.

Mac Ram
4th September 2009, 01:21 PM
Go to the link below, enter your phone number to see what choices you have with regards to possible ISPs

Clicky Here (http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/)

Oznewbie
4th September 2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone. You've made this outback RN very happy.

Brentnal
4th September 2009, 05:04 PM
Actually charging someone for 500mb on ADSL is criminal.

Huy
4th September 2009, 05:18 PM
If you're on a tight monthly quota, and you don't 'need' the updates right away - consider disabling or changing the preferences/settings to manually check for updates and to download updates.

This will give you more quota to surf the net etc rather than just wasting it on updating software (you don't need to update everytime a version jumps 0.0.1 or something if quota is a concern).