PDA

View Full Version : Which magazines do you buy, subscribe to?

chaosboi
4th September 2009, 11:33 AM
I purchase Australian Macworld from the newsagency each month, but also subscribe to both the UK MacFormat and US MacLife.

MacLife is great value to subscribe to, approx. $45AUS per year, which is heaps better value than the newsagency price, but MacFormat is approx $175.

Some months I just flick through them and some months I find great articles, but i'm not sure if $175 is worth MacFormat.

The other issue, as with most tech magazines, is by the time you read the articles it's old news.

My subscription is due again for both International mags, and I'm not sure if it's worth the subscription for both.

Who buys what, or if anything?

The_Hawk
4th September 2009, 12:24 PM
Performance VW and Atomic are pretty much it these days, although I'm getting a little bored with Atomic and don't know if I will continue my sub.

It's odd that I haven't ever bothered subsricing to a Mac magazine... Will be interesting to read people's recomendations.

decryption
4th September 2009, 12:32 PM
I only subscribe to two mags these days: Wired & Dumbo Feather, Pass it On.

MrJesseRoss
4th September 2009, 12:54 PM
I used to subscribe to Rolling Stone until I realised that all their reviews were rubbish and usually based on who the band was rather than if they were any good. So now it's just Wired that I subscribe to.

If I have the cash or need something to read I'll get Q. They're much more reliable than RS these days.

jeloz
4th September 2009, 01:18 PM
Subscribe to F1 / Home Entertainment / UK Car / Macworld and buy way too many technology magazines :)
Jeloz

Rust
4th September 2009, 01:20 PM
I havent subscribed to any mac magazines but i will check them out every month religiously at the newsagent. If there are articles/tips/free software that really get me interested i wont hesitate and just buy it. Sometimes its just the same crap month in month out but some months you get some great how-to guides and great free software and reviews in which case i'll just buy it.
The only magazine i'm subscribed to is Computer Music.

scar68
4th September 2009, 01:46 PM
I have subscribed to Australian Macworld but won't renew. It's a great mag but the info is just not current enough by the time I get my copy. The how to articles are always excellent but not of enough value to me to subscribe.

I feel for tech mags. The internet makes information available instantly to people with access to it.

I do subscribe to the Australian Empire (movies) and buy as many Architectural mags, always form Magnation as I can afford.

tcimac
4th September 2009, 02:54 PM
I only subscribe to two mags these days: Wired & Dumbo Feather, Pass it On.

Jeez... apart from the person that put me onto it, I don't know anyone else that even knows what Dumbo Feather, Pass It On is....

decryption
4th September 2009, 02:58 PM
Jeez... apart from the person that put me onto it, I don't know anyone else that even knows what Dumbo Feather, Pass It On is....

It's a fantastic read. Get's a bit up itself sometimes, and a bit too much hipster trendy bullshit for my liking, but it's still fantastic.

kickinit
4th September 2009, 03:19 PM
i subscribe to a few. mix magazine, audio technology and Australian guitarist

Phorte
4th September 2009, 03:28 PM
i'm not subscribed to any IT/computer/etc related magazine.

for everything else, im subscribed to Eurotuner from america. its a pretty bad read but it was on sale for us$8 for 2 years subscription - delivered :) used to be subscribed to Future Music and Computer Music...

W9cae
4th September 2009, 03:32 PM
I only get two mag's from the UK, iCreate & Digital Photographer.

east
4th September 2009, 03:36 PM
MacAddict , when they first came out. I buy them individually but I lasted only for a year. Now, its GQ (US edition) but only on a per issue basis.

Sheldor
4th September 2009, 04:24 PM
i use to buy Advanced Photoshop and sometimes DigitalArts and borrow Computer Arts and 3D world from school.

chaosboi
4th September 2009, 04:26 PM
I only get two mag's from the UK, iCreate & Digital Photographer.

iCreate is so expensive though, I had a subscription but then couldn't justify the cost.

kiwijohn
4th September 2009, 04:27 PM
Bike & Singletrack World. Top Gear if there's something interesting, same for Performance Ford.

~Coxy
4th September 2009, 04:29 PM
I used to buy AMW for a long time, and have almost every issue from 1984 until about 2007. It wasn't really worth subscribing because the articles became less interesting to me and those that were informative were usually just reprints of articles you can get from the US mag website for free.

Angsty
4th September 2009, 04:32 PM
I subscribe to the UK version of Photoshop Creative. Its much cheaper than single price via newsagent and I get it 3 months earlier.

I used to get iCreate but my hip pocket mutinied and demanded I pick only one of these 2, so Photoshop won out :)

Ang

LCGuy
4th September 2009, 04:59 PM
I used to buy MacAddict religiously between 1996 (yeah, I have the Premiere issue!) up until it changed to MacLife. I bought a few issues of MacLife but kinda got sick of it...it seems to be mostly aimed at the beginning to intermediate Mac user these days, and seems to be more of the same old shit. A far cry from what it was 8 - 10 years ago, when the magazine had more of an "underground" feel to it, and used to have all kinds of articles such as those pointing out why Macs are better than PCs, and how to do all kinds of amazing things with your Mac, such as hacking the OS with ResEdit, putting an LED in your iMac's mouse, building a FireWire powered lamp, making a briefcase into an external SCSI drive enclosure, painting your Mac, how to turn a PlainTalk mic into a pre-amp so you can plug standard PC mics into a Mac (most Macs made between about 1994 and 2000 require a special PlainTalk mic, and cannot use normal microphones), how to get PC-only peripherals to work on a Mac...all kinds of neat stuff that even if you were too chicken to do it (as I was), it was still great to read about. :D Its a very different magazine to what it used to be...and nowhere near as good if you ask me. They also had a lot of inside jokes...like Prison Guy (one of the writers looked like he had escaped from a prison, so he got the nickname Prison Guy), the iBorg (a remote control robot they were building that was supposed to be powered by an iBook...they never managed to get it working), and a few other things I can't remember right now.

These days the only mag I buy is Top Gear. :D

tcn33
4th September 2009, 06:11 PM
When I lived in the US I had a huge magazine habit, just as I did for books. That's what happens when a) paperbacks are $7 USD and magazines are $4 USD, and b) your local Barnes and Noble is open until 11PM every single night.

When I moved back to Melbourne I had to break both of those habits, because at the rate I read it's not tenable to pay $15 AUD for a paperback or $10 for a magazine. I've since found bookdepository.co.uk, so I'm back up to my old level of consumption on books.

But until there's a magazinedepository.co.uk, I'll stick to checking out the cover of Wired each month and seeing if there's an interesting article. This year I've bought it once, and that's my whole magazine consumption for 2009. Fuck paying $18 AUD for a magazine with a $5 USD cover price.

mac_man_luke
4th September 2009, 06:15 PM
I subscribe to APC, PC User and Australian Photographer

I find APC + PC User decent read to keep up with pc tech etc

Apple_Lover
6th September 2009, 03:41 PM
I got Mac Format for the first time couple of weeks ago, It was pretty good learnt some new stuff..... The UK based magazine.

Dux
6th September 2009, 04:38 PM
Magazines: Time, The Economist, (sometimes) The Monthly, Desktop, Australian Creatve, New Scentist.

Newspapers: The Australian, Sydney Morning Herald, (sometimes) Daily Telegraph.