PDA

View Full Version : Next Adobe CS Intel only... but the comments get interesting

pengu
4th September 2009, 02:13 AM
So, as many probably read nearly a month ago, Adobe CS5 (or whatever it's called) will be Intel only.

John Nack (Photoshop Product Manager) posted about it on his blog: John Nack on Adobe: Goodnight, Suite RISC... (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08/goodnight_suite_risc.html)

The interesting part is when you read the comments (he inserts replies directly into comments).
edit: I've just re-read all the comments, I wasn't aware there were so many other complains about the UI in CS4.

I have managed to relieve a little of the stress caused by CS4 (specifically, FW as I don't use PS) by doing my usual job of being an annoying shit, and arguing his continued defence of the CS4 custom window chrome bullshit.

For those that didn't know: the Adobe "UI Team" (from their work so far, I picture them as blind, mentally defective pineapples) has plans for MORE custom UI controls/etc. When I asked if the move to Cocoa (to allow 64bit) would mean the end of custom window chrome/widget shit this was the response:

No. On the contrary, the Adobe UI design team wants to go with more custom widgetry. I support that direction only when there's a strong functional reason for doing so

I didn't get a response when I asked why copying two tool buttons and the zoom control to the new "Application bar" is a strong functional improvement.

It next gets better when things like crazy Expose/Spaces behaviour with the custom window stuff is labelled as "bugs in Spaces/Expose". The one and only other example given, is in MS Office.

If you have to use Adobe CS (thankfully I only need FW very occasionally) it's worth a read to see how they plan to make you pull your hair out in a few years time..

Dux
4th September 2009, 07:02 AM
Adobe seem to have their heads up their collective arses in regards to the direction of their software.

It's a mature suite, so they don't know what else to do. They've resorted to tweaking useless things like the UI which have been fairly consistent before CS4.

I'd love to see them do something useful, like improve their customer service or get rid of the draconian DRM. Or support software people paid several thousand dollars for less than one or two years ago. Windows costs less and is supported for longer, go figure.

Gerbils
4th September 2009, 09:37 AM
I love how they double their prices in every market other than the US.

Their software is slow and each new update fixes some bugs but introduces new ones. Some bugs have been sitting there unfixed for years. The new interface quirks they introduce with each new major update are usually just plain annoying.

It still mystifies me that when I ask Photoshop or InDesign to make me a new blank document, the beach ball will spin for about 7 seconds before it decides to do it. There is seriously something wrong with that!

grfxninja
4th September 2009, 10:04 AM
It still mystifies me that when I ask Photoshop or InDesign to make me a new blank document, the beach ball will spin for about 7 seconds before it decides to do it.

What system are you using?
I am using a MBP (mid 07 model) C2D 2.33GHz with 3GB RAM and it's almost instant for me.

There is seriously something wrong with that!
Perhaps there is something wrong with your system?

I'm not trying to have a shot at you, but it irritates me when people say that there are flaws in a product because they are having a problem with that product.
9 time out of 10, I find that it is a problem in the users system that is causing the angst but it is easier for them to blame Adobe. Don't get me wrong Adobe CS4 (and earlier versions) are far from perfect, but I think you need to do a bit deeper investigating…

EDIT: I was going to upload a screen recording from quicktime to backup my claim of being "almost instant", but Youtube didn't like it for some reason, so you'll just have to take my word for it ;)

Gerbils
4th September 2009, 10:10 AM
What system are you using?
I am using a MBP (mid 07 model) C2D 2.33GHz with 3GB RAM and it's almost instant for me.

Perhaps there is something wrong with your system?

I'm not trying to have a shot at you, but it irritates me when people say that there are flaws in a product because they are having a problem with that product.
9 time out of 10, I find that it is a problem in the users system that is causing the angst but it is easier for them to blame Adobe. Don't get me wrong Adobe CS4 (and earlier versions) are far from perfect, but I think you need to do a bit deeper investigating…

Brand new 24" iMac, 4gb RAM, Leopard. It also exhibits the same behaviour on my 2007 Macbook Pro. I have been using Adobe apps pretty much every day since 1998, so I have a lot of experience with them.

So what 'deeper investigating' do you suggest?

bartron
4th September 2009, 10:13 AM
It's a mature suite, so they don't know what else to do. They've resorted to tweaking useless things like the UI which have been fairly consistent before CS4.

I'd have to agree with that.

It's come at a time when there is a whole bunch of upheaval in the mac world (shift to intel, leopard being unix certified etc) that has caused different CS versions into various states of operation....but in the Windows world I know plenty of people that have yet to find a decent reason to upgrade from CS1 or 2 and a few still using PS 7.

Sell the suite for less and people won't complain about needing to upgrade all the time....otherwise stick with the same, mature, product and patch as needed.

grfxninja
4th September 2009, 10:20 AM
Brand new 24" iMac, 4gb RAM, Leopard. It also exhibits the same behaviour on my 2007 Macbook Pro. I have been using Adobe apps pretty much every day since 1998, so I have a lot of experience with them.

I have been using all of the adobe apps (for print publishing that is) for as long as I can remember as well, so I am definitely not new to this game ;)

So what 'deeper investigating' do you suggest?
Can't help you there to be honest, all I am saying is that I can only remember Indesign beachballing a couple of times but it wasn't creating a new document.
Like I said, not trying to have a shot at you personally, maybe I have just been lucky :innocent:

Gerbils
4th September 2009, 10:25 AM
I might add that it doesn't do it every time I choose new document, but it does it a lot. Also happens to my colleague here sitting next to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Adobe apps. I just wish they'd work as flawlessly as Apple's apps.