PDA

View Full Version : Imovies - Windows Equivalent?

morgs
14th July 2005, 08:16 PM
Hello all,

If I wanted to make a movie using the Windows operating system (I don't actually want to - yuk!), what software would I use. Something as simple as iMovies would be good. Would be good if it was free. Exporting to Quicktime and or files that can then be used in iMovies would be great too.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Morgs

paulharrop
14th July 2005, 08:20 PM
Movie-Maker is the M$ ripoff of iMovie and its free - probably for XP users. Never used it but have seen it - but I don't think it will export to Quicktime.

I love the Apple iLife Suite for use in my school - everything just integrates so nicely and it is easy for primary school kids to use.

Paul

mvjs
14th July 2005, 08:21 PM
Forget about Quicktime exporting for Movie Maker, its from Microsoft!

No video editing program will be free trust me :)

But Adobe (I think) Premier Elements, would problly be good for you, like $100

mac_man_luke
14th July 2005, 08:35 PM
Avid Free DV

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

the_OM
14th July 2005, 08:36 PM
Yeah the Adobe line of consumer apps for photos and movies are the most comparable to the Apple ilife suite....... except for the price

geektechnu
14th July 2005, 10:07 PM
mac_man_luke is spot on - Avid's free product is excellent for the price.

VirtualDub is also very handy for quick AVI codec conversions, simple video cutting and pstprocessing.

Check out the list here:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools?s=17#17

sikosis
15th July 2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by paulharrop@Jul 14 2005, 08:20 PM
Movie-Maker ... but I don't think it will export to Quicktime.
No all it will do is WMV files. It won't even do AVI.

morgs
15th July 2005, 07:42 PM
Hey thanks guys.

Avid Free DVD looks like the go.

I won't be using it myself. I want to be able to inspire Citizen Journalists to pick up their cameras, shoot then cut a story and send it to me in a finished form. I am a way off putting out the call for this, but this was my reason behind asking for the info.

Thanks again,
Morgs