PDA

View Full Version : Which OS X update felt like the biggest improvement?

marc
3rd September 2009, 09:35 AM
Now that Snow Leopard is out, which Mac OS X update over the years has felt like the biggest improvement to you?

tcn33
3rd September 2009, 09:39 AM
Tiger to Leopard. Time Machine, Spaces and QuickLook became integral to my day-to-day usage very quickly.

Exchange support in SL is a biggie though, and one I appreciate more and more every day I don't have to open Entourage.

grfxninja
3rd September 2009, 09:40 AM
I voted Leopard because of the massive list of new features.
But it would actually be a toss up now between the 2 Leopards for me, because SL has brought a very marked speed improvement to my 07 MBP. And at the end of the day, I like all the cool shit, but I want it all to happen as fast as possible.

So, for me anyway, Leopard by a whisker :)

marc
3rd September 2009, 09:45 AM
For me it was either Tiger or Leopard.

I know it sounds stupid, but Quick Look is the one feature I'd *really* miss if I was forced to use a pre-Leopard OS. Time Machine, Dashboard and Spotlight are also things that I'd miss. Based on that, I voted Leopard (just). Snow Leopard is great, but certainly not the same jump that Tiger or Leopard was.

I think Core Animation has made things a lot nicer too. It's really given some nice polish to Apple's apps and third party apps.

bartron
3rd September 2009, 09:47 AM
Jaguar to Panther

to me that's when Apple stopped fine tuning the OS work decently and started adding features

dolbinau
3rd September 2009, 09:49 AM
Jaguar to Panther

to me that's when Apple stopped fine tuning the OS work decently and started adding features

I agree..plus the new finder..

Exocet
3rd September 2009, 09:50 AM
Panther was a big step in my opinion, Leopard a very close second.

gehenna
3rd September 2009, 10:07 AM
I'm surprised no one is mentioning Tiger (except Marc). I started out my Mac life using Panther on a Mac mini, but Tiger is what kept me using the platform. It was big step up in my opinion, seemed to work a lot better and also began the support for Intel processors. For me, Leopard only refined Tiger and the new features of Leopard were a complement to how successful Tiger was.

The Drummer
3rd September 2009, 10:07 AM
For me it has to be Panther. It ran better than Jaguar on every machine I put it on and finally felt like my machines were back to being at least as productive as what they had been with Mac OS 9. Exposé instantly became a must-have feature for my work.
As much as I like the Leopard features, I still use Tiger on a daily basis on one of my machines. While I would like Quicklook on that machine, it doesn't seem to slow me down much not having it. Spaces is good in some workflows but there are plenty of times where isn't everything it could be.
TimeMachine is really good in the right circumstances but inappropriate in others.
Ideally I'd have a different OS for each system depending on the needs of that system. Unfortunately, software developers can't afford to continue refining their products for older systems and we get trapped into the upgrade cycle.

gikku
3rd September 2009, 10:10 AM
Panther or Tiger edge out SL.
voted Tiger, until last week it was still the best OS.
would have voted SL but for dropping PPC support.

Leopard - RU serious? Leopard was 6 months late half-arsed abortion of a nightmare, barely tolerable. (am I still traumatised?)

gehenna
3rd September 2009, 10:16 AM
Leopard was 6 months late

LOL that concept cracks me up. I didn't realise Apple were working to our timetable. As far as I'm concerned software releases are never late - they're out when they're out. They might indicate an ETA but we should all know better than to rely on them :) It's the same across the board: Apple, Microsoft, Linux distros - they rarely come out "on time".

decryption
3rd September 2009, 10:17 AM
Jaguar to Panther was pretty decent. It made OS X into a proper OS :)

gikku
3rd September 2009, 10:26 AM
LOL that concept cracks me up. I didn't realise Apple were working to our timetable.

At WWDC 2006 SJ announced it would be available in (northern) Spring 2007, it was released in October 07, 6 months late.

gehenna
3rd September 2009, 10:29 AM
At WWDC 2006 SJ announced it would be available in (northern) Spring 2007, it was released in October 07, 6 months late.

I realise that, but what in history would make you rely on an announcement made by company...especially in the software business.

~Coxy
3rd September 2009, 10:31 AM
I'm really surprised that 10.5 is voted so high. Time Machine and Spaces were the only new features, everything else was worse than 10.4. You couldn't turn off that translucent menubar officially for a LONG time and Apple broke their Nvidia drivers from 10.5.3 until 10.5.5.

Biggest improvement: 10.1 or 10.2 were by far the biggest speed increases, depending on which version of OS X you started with.

Best new features: 10.4, in my opinion. Spotlight, Dashboard, better Expose, first released where everything felt really polished and 'finished'.

marc
3rd September 2009, 10:35 AM
Jaguar to Panther was pretty decent. It made OS X into a proper OS :)
Yeah. Jaguar really wasn't too usable as a full production OS. I guess a big part of that was the lack of 3rd party software. Panther definitely felt better.

Exposé instantly became a must-have feature for my work.
I forgot that was part of 10.3.

FWIW, I don't care about Spaces. I just don't use it. Not sure why... I did try. I'm an old-school OS 9, option-click on the desktop to hide an app kind of guy.

bljpoad
3rd September 2009, 10:54 AM
I would have to say Panther myself. That was my first introduction to OS X and not long after I found an old beige G3 that I got 10.2 installed on. In comparison 10.2 seemed cumbersome and slow. I was happy when I discovered xPostFacto :)

Arkhum_Eramak
3rd September 2009, 11:34 AM
Panther here from me too. It just felt SO damn fast compared with 10.2. Expose and the sidebar in the finder windows made things so much more productive. All versions of Mac OS after 10.3 have felt a bit incomplete...I don't know what it is. Snow Leopard is the first version of Mac OS X I've used since 10.3 that felt 'snappy' when using it. 10.4 and 10.5 always felt a little sluggish to me.

That said, I wouldn't go back to the days before spotlight and quicklook!

AnthoMac
3rd September 2009, 11:42 AM
Panther>Tiger>Leopard

Panther, well brought me into the world of macs, and at 2003, expose must have made Windows users shiver. It was stable and I was surprised to see it running on G3 computers at TAFE. Tiger was pretty much the Vista killer, and still is quite a good OS. Though quicklook is probably used feature from Leopard for me that is.

gaehl
3rd September 2009, 11:42 AM
I'm really surprised that 10.5 is voted so high. Time Machine and Spaces were the only new features, everything else was worse than 10.4.

ONLY NEW FEATURES! What about Quicklook couldn't live without that now. and I'm sure that there are others.

gehenna
3rd September 2009, 11:45 AM
Can't say I ever use Quicklook - often it's just as fast to launch a full application! Maybe it's faster in SL? Never use Coverflow either, or Spaces. I've given all of them a good go but they just don't add anything to my usability experience. As for Time Machine, I rather use SuperDuper! which has been around since before Leopard and provides much more functionality than the OS feature itself.

mac_man_luke
3rd September 2009, 11:59 AM
Jaguar was the first usable OSX IMO

and Panther was a big jump up again

grfxninja
3rd September 2009, 12:34 PM
Can't say I ever use Quicklook - often it's just as fast to launch a full application! Maybe it's faster in SL? Never use Coverflow either, or Spaces. I've given all of them a good go but they just don't add anything to my usability experience. As for Time Machine, I rather use SuperDuper! which has been around since before Leopard and provides much more functionality than the OS feature itself.

You must have some major probs in your system if launching the app is quicker than quicklook??

Mine has always been instant - hit the space bar and there it is…

Wasn't ever real big on coverflow - bit more of a gimmick than anything really.
I like the idea of Time Machine, but it has never been very successful for me over a network…

NeoRicen
3rd September 2009, 12:52 PM
Leopard, although Tiger was my first Mac OS, so it was the only update I'd done prior to SL (which isn't the biggest improvement).

Looking back at features though, Tiger probably wouldn't have felt like a huge upgrade, since I rarely use Dashboard or Spotlight. Panther would have been huge had I been there, since I use Exposé all the time.

Leopard has Quick Look and Spaces, which I also use constantly. In fact, the most annoying things about trying to use Windows for me now is the lack of Quick Look, and the inability to scroll inactive windows, both features added in Leopard.

How can you not use Quick Look? It's so bloody useful!

:p

MissionMan
3rd September 2009, 12:59 PM
Its a flawed poll. In essence, in order to get realistic results, you would need to limit the results to only people who had used every OS. For example, I only started on mac with Leopard, so either my migration from Windows to Leopard (doesn't count) or my upgrade to snow leopard will seem like the biggest jump when in reality, if I'd started working from Puma, the results may reflect completely different results.

gehenna
3rd September 2009, 01:20 PM
Its a flawed poll. In essence, in order to get realistic results, you would need to limit the results to only people who had used every OS.

Orrrrrrrrrrr, you could just have a bit of fun with it and not take it too seriously, because it's not like we're having a full blown political referendum... :p

KlaasVisser
3rd September 2009, 01:32 PM
I've only been through the Leopard to Snow Leopard update, but can I vote for Windows to Leopard :cool:

marc
3rd September 2009, 03:32 PM
Orrrrrrrrrrr, you could just have a bit of fun with it and not take it too seriously, because it's not like we're having a full blown political referendum... :p
That was the intention.

In fact, the most annoying things about trying to use Windows for me now is the lack of Quick Look, and the inability to scroll inactive windows, both features added in Leopard.
Oh yeah, I scroll inactive windows all the time too. Great feature.

~Coxy
3rd September 2009, 04:13 PM
QuickLook is OK, but not really anything to rely on. Its a bit poorly executed, and its introduction also broke being able to select a file that begins with a space character.

marc
3rd September 2009, 04:20 PM
QuickLook is OK, but not really anything to rely on. Its a bit poorly executed
How so? I use it hundreds of times a day. 0 issues. It's the best feature of the OS IMO.

mac_man_luke
3rd September 2009, 04:39 PM
Love quick look, saves opening files to see what is in them :)

Curse the apps that dont bother to write quick look plugins - ADOBE!!

dickg
3rd September 2009, 05:34 PM
I come from OS7, which did what I asked it to. Each new OS has provided more functionally (as well as under-the-bonnet grunt). SL has some features I love, such as screen recording - sure beats 'it's up on the left' by phone if trying to help someone.

I consider it to be a significant/major upgrade, but there again, I am probably more OS-aware than I was in 7.

Much of the new stuff is repackaged - I used aliases on the desktop for years. Dock now does essentially the same function.

LCGuy
3rd September 2009, 05:45 PM
I'm surprised not many people have mentioned Jaguar (10.2) yet! I was an early adopter, starting with 10.1 around halfway through 2002. At that time, OS X was the new, new, new thing, and while 10.1 was slightly better than 10.0, it wasn't until Jaguar came out that it was really, finally ready for production use. While 10.1 was cool, it was little more than a glimpse at the future, and a mere technical curiousity/plaything, slow as shit to do actual work with. With Jaguar I was able to finally stop booting into OS 9 when it was time to actually get work done.

Other than that, I'd have to say Leopard - due to budgeting issues I had to skip Panther and Tiger and went straight from Jaguar on an iMac G3/333 to Leopard on a 2.2 Ghz MacBook, what an upgrade!

glitch
3rd September 2009, 05:51 PM
Panther was the really significant improvement for me, the transition to Tiger was good and then the step up to Leopard probably bought the most features, if not much structural change. Snow Leo is definitely the most underwhelming, i am not really sure it even warranted a new name. I would consider it a modest upgrade of Leopard and certainly not a new OS. It makes no difference at all to my workflow.

One of my clients runs Tiger still on most of their machines and honestly its very rarely that i try to do something that doesnt work in Tiger but does in Leo or Sno Leo.

~Coxy
3rd September 2009, 06:03 PM
How so? I use it hundreds of times a day. 0 issues. It's the best feature of the OS IMO.

Doesn't change between portrait/landscape, doesn't handle scaling well, tricky disconnect between arrow keys for navigating documents versus choosing a new file, gets stuck open in the background, and steals your spacebar key.

decryption
3rd September 2009, 06:49 PM
Quicklook rocks. I unconciously use it all the time. Ditto about the scrolling in background windows. I miss it greatly when I use Windows.

Gerbils
4th September 2009, 09:10 AM
Jaguar! After the crud of 10.0 and 10.1, it felt like lightning in comparison. First usable version of OS X in my opinion.

stewiesno1
4th September 2009, 09:44 AM
My experience is only Jaguar, Panther and Tiger - no Leopard or SL machines here, but I would have to say that Jaguar being the first OSX version I used and was rock solid on any machine I installed it onto - mostly G4 towers, a Pismo and a Wallstreet.
All apps worked straight out of the box with no hassle , likewise printer drivers, third party utilities etc etc
Panther seemed to be a bit of a downgrade- I know it had more features but never took my fancy.
Tiger on the other hand made a big difference on any of the above machines that I installed it onto, mostly speedwise - even the Wallstreet and had a bit more eye candy too.

Stewie

dagaz
4th September 2009, 09:54 AM
In the early days of 10.1 and 10.2 (first version of OS X I used was 10.1.2) I used to dual-boot / run Classic a lot. It wasn't until 10.3 that OS X became my fulltime desktop. Sure Tiger and Leopard have added some great new features, but Panther was the biggest improvement IMHO.