PDA

View Full Version : buying a mac from USA?

internet
3rd September 2009, 03:09 AM
All, Iím in the USA and macs are cheap here
Any problems with buying an iMac and bringing it back? Will it work or voltage is all out etc?
Any problems if itís a dud taking it back to mac store?
Cheers
j

Geoff3DMN
3rd September 2009, 07:14 AM
Warranty is only international for laptops, your iMac won't have a warranty you can use in Australia. That is to say, you could buy a MacBook Pro and warranty works here but not an iMac.

I don't know about the power supply sorry.

StoneWolf
3rd September 2009, 08:41 AM
According to the Apple Us web site (and the AU site for that matter) The iMac is listed as having a Line voltage: 100-240V AC (http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html) which equates to it working fine both here or the U.S. This obviously doesn't overcome your warranty concern.

I know the MacBook Proís from the U.S definitely work in Australia as a mate of mine got his 17" MBP from over there.

drewbles
3rd September 2009, 02:03 PM
If you're going to buy a "cheap" macbook/pro, get it in Hong Kong. Much much cheaper than USA or AU:)

samuelowens
3rd September 2009, 02:48 PM
Unless you're in a state without sales tax, the savings won't be that great, and you may also be hit with GST upon reentry into Australia.

Jaste
3rd September 2009, 03:39 PM
For the warranty maybe find someone who wants a cheap macbook pro and get it for them in exchange for a comparable price iMac when you get back to Oz?

Cods
3rd September 2009, 03:46 PM
Unless you're in a state without sales tax, the savings won't be that great...
Really?

Bottom of the line 13" MBP
Apple AU (incl GST)
= AU$1899
Apple US (no sales tax) = US$1199
= AU$1436
= saving of 24%
Apple US (incl WA sales tax) = US$1312
= AU$1572
= saving of 17%

Top of the line 13" MBP
Apple AU (incl GST)
= AU$2399
Apple US (no sales tax) = US$1499
= AU$1795
= saving of 25%
Apple US (incl WA sales tax) = US$1691
= AU$1965
= saving of 18%

Bottom of the line Mac Pro w. 6Gb RAM & Airport
Apple AU (incl GST)
= AU$4899
Apple US (no sales tax) = US$2699
= AU$3230
= saving of 34%
Apple US (incl WA sales tax) = US$2955
= AU$3537
= saving of 28%

All prices from standard online Apple Stores for Australia and the USA, as of 2 Sep 09.

So, if you buy in, say, Washington State (9.something% sales tax), then you're between 17 and 28% better off than buying in Australia.
If you nip down to Oregon (no sales tax), then you're between 24 and 34% better off than buying in Australia.

...and you may also be hit with GST upon reentry into Australia.
In the case of a laptop, it's bloody unlikely you'll get hit with GST. If you're trying to lug a Mac Pro home in your hand luggage, well, perhaps you might have a chance of getting hit up, but even then, that'll only drop your savings by about 10% from 34% or 28% (if you already paid sales tax).

drewbles
3rd September 2009, 04:04 PM
*dupe*

drewbles
3rd September 2009, 04:05 PM
Really?

Bottom of the line 13" MBP
Apple AU (incl GST)
= AU$1899
Apple US (no sales tax) = US$1199
= AU$1436
= saving of 24%
Apple US (incl WA sales tax) = US$1312
= AU$1572
= saving of 17%

Top of the line 13" MBP
Apple AU (incl GST)
= AU$2399
Apple US (no sales tax) = US$1499
= AU$1795
= saving of 25%
Apple US (incl WA sales tax) = US$1691
= AU$1965
= saving of 18%

Bottom of the line Mac Pro w. 6Gb RAM & Airport
Apple AU (incl GST)
= AU$4899
Apple US (no sales tax) = US$2699
= AU$3230
= saving of 34%
Apple US (incl WA sales tax) = US$2955
= AU$3537
= saving of 28%

All prices from standard online Apple Stores for Australia and the USA, as of 2 Sep 09.

So, if you buy in, say, Washington State (9.something% sales tax), then you're between 17 and 28% better off than buying in Australia.
If you nip down to Oregon (no sales tax), then you're between 24 and 34% better off than buying in Australia.

In the case of a laptop, it's bloody unlikely you'll get hit with GST. If you're trying to lug a Mac Pro home in your hand luggage, well, perhaps you might have a chance of getting hit up, but even then, that'll only drop your savings by about 10% from 34% or 28% (if you already paid sales tax).

If you bring the box and what not back with you, you'll likely be whacked with the import duty (believe me). Throw the box and stuff away and just bring the laptop back with power supply and cd's, and you should be right, providing it's in a carried laptop bag (try to not make it look sparkling new). Customs are very eagle-eyed these days:)

Cods
3rd September 2009, 04:11 PM
Drewbles,

I head to the US Postal Service and slow-mail the box and manuals, receipts and bits and bobs to myself, and then do exactly what you suggest, bunging the new Mac into my hand luggage.

Worked with a couple of laptops and a Mini (on different trips, of course!).

That said, I'd still put forward that even if you have to pay 10% GST on a new Mac Pro, an 18 to 24% saving is worthwhile.

achjimmy
18th December 2009, 02:49 PM
If you're going to buy a "cheap" macbook/pro, get it in Hong Kong. Much much cheaper than USA or AU:)

Sorry to drag up an old thread but may be going to Hong kong in January and wondering what sort of prices MBP are, anybody know?

Jim

samuelowens
18th December 2009, 03:24 PM
Welcome to the Apple Store - Apple Store (HongKong) (http://store.apple.com/hk)

Having said that, the savings are not that great compared to buying it somewhere like Tricky Dick's this weekend (doing 10% off).

For example, the top of the line 13" MBP costs $A1999 (or $1799.10 at Dick Smith this weekend) or $HK11,688 ($A1700). There is the risk that you'll get hit for GST on re-entry to Australia too, negating any savings.