PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running snow leopard on an SSD?

MissionMan
2nd September 2009, 03:56 PM
I'm looking to put a 256GB SSD into my machine shortly (G.Skill Falcon) and wondering whether anyone had any issues with Leopard and the SSD's?

hewball
2nd September 2009, 04:30 PM
OS isnt the problem with SSD's its hardware,

there is lotsa know issues with latest model MBP 15" and a little less with the 13"

yinyang
2nd September 2009, 04:34 PM
there could be potential issues with OSX and SSDs...

"I've read there are concerns about the ability of Mac OS X to defragment the SSD on the fly as it does so well with HDDs. To best understand this issue, start by reading the Wikipedia article on TRIM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_%28SSD_command%29). Though OCZ has implemented TRIM in the Vertex's firmware, there needs to be either an OS X compatible utility to zap the SSD from time to time or Apple needs to implement TRIM in OS X." - from this bare feats review....

MacBook Pro Unibody with OCZ Vertex SSD (http://www.barefeats.com/hard121.html)

wazzatrd
2nd September 2009, 04:51 PM
I have a mid 2009 MBP 15" 2.8GHz only 2 months old and have been running 256Gb Toshiba SSD for the last month. This was sourced from Apple service centre in Dubai ( Only place that could get one for me ), and is supposedly Apple OEM.

I had no problems under Leopard and have just updated to Snow Leopard yesterday, so far no issues.

The speed is certainly a big bonus, startup and loading of login apps is extremely fast.

Yet to fill it, so will see about defrag issues.

Worth the money for sure.

macaholic
2nd September 2009, 10:33 PM
I have Snow Leopard Server running (blazing) on a new Xserve SSD.
So fast. Amazing.

m.

dawsman
2nd September 2009, 10:40 PM
I've been running Snow Leopard on my Late 2008 Unibody MBP with an OCZ Apex 256GB SSD since the release date - absolutely no issues here. Quite a bit snappier than Leopard.

MissionMan
2nd September 2009, 10:43 PM
Kewl. Ordered a G.Skill Falcon 256GB. I'll try post some benchmarks after I get it.

mac_man_luke
2nd September 2009, 11:14 PM
Im running a 128GB Gskill falcon in my mac pro, works a treat.

tiktokman
3rd September 2009, 02:30 AM
Been running Leopard on a maxed out MBP with the big bollocks SSD since March with no hitches and I push the fucker to its limits. :D

DJY
3rd September 2009, 09:21 AM
Snow Leopard running perfectly on my MBA with 128GB SSD here.

ricochet
9th September 2009, 11:31 AM
I have a late 2009 model 15" macbook pro and had difficulties with an older Scorpio hard drive - apparently the EFI 1.7 update which is supposed to allow 3.0Gbps SATA II has some problems. Reverting back to EFI 1.6 is supposed to fix this, with the caveat that the drive will be limited to 1.5Gbps throughput (not an issue for mechanical drives and slower SSDs).

Hopefully this isn't the case as I have an Intel X25 G2 on order and was hoping to use it as the boot drive :(

I've also read suggestions that it may be some hardware problem with either the SATA cable or the controller on these new MBPs, and even some people saying that running the SSD from the 2nd SATA port (the superdrive one) works perfectly but running it from the standard HDD port doesn't.

Very odd.

MissionMan
9th September 2009, 11:43 AM
I thought they brought out another fix already that corrected this?

I put the Falcon 256GB in, its seems to work no problem. I posted some examples of how well it works in a separate post. Boot time is about 20 seconds and when it boots, email etc is available instantly rather than having to wait another 10 to 15 second before everything loads. I now have mail opening on startup and the moment the snow leopard screen appears mail opens. All apps are generally instant open or 1 bounce.

Here are some other examples:

Death by adobe - opening 6 adobe apps
RQHA_eR5LLs

XP VM boot speed
yuh7c6o2wIE

HumanMedia
9th September 2009, 01:04 PM
You bastards! :mad:

Now I have to buy one. :rolleyes:

ricochet
9th September 2009, 04:26 PM
Wow! I don't think the 17" MBP was ever eligible for the EFI 1.7 update, but the fact you have that working so fast gives me hope of the intel x25 g2 making mine fly :) thanks!

Nightwish
9th September 2009, 04:32 PM
Insanity. It'd be interesting to see whether SSDs will be the standard in Macs (and other computers for that matter) in about a year or two time.

MissionMan
9th September 2009, 04:38 PM
Wow! I don't think the 17" MBP was ever eligible for the EFI 1.7 update, but the fact you have that working so fast gives me hope of the intel x25 g2 making mine fly :) thanks!

To be honest, I don't even if what EFI I am on. Is there any way you can check? All I know is mine does show its 3Gigabit (SATA2).

http://img.skitch.com/20090909-xseq8tchwhm68usuyiy4xc1xch.jpg

Phunky
9th September 2009, 07:27 PM
I thought the 17" MBP wasnt affected by the SATA speed issue, only the 15" and 13" when they switched to SD card slots

MissionMan
9th September 2009, 07:31 PM
I thought the 17" MBP wasnt affected by the SATA speed issue, only the 15" and 13" when they switched to SD card slots

You could well be right. As I said, I have no idea whether it affected me, all I know is the SSD works.

Edge
10th September 2009, 11:49 PM
...I have an Intel X25 G2 on order and was hoping to use it as the boot drive
Lovely.

My 120GB OCZ Vertex feels inadequate already. I'm booting Snow Leopard from it - I love the silence and the snappy app loading.

Not sure how the TRIM thing will play out; the first round of firmware with initial support were pulled after data corruption issues. And don't expect support any time soon from Apple; this is not the sort of thing 95% of consumers care about, or will notice. That leaves us geeks to sweat on it.

Read Anand's latest article (http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=1) about SSDs to get a better picture.

MissionMan
11th September 2009, 12:03 AM
Lovely.

My 120GB OCZ Vertex feels inadequate already. I'm booting Snow Leopard from it - I love the silence and the snappy app loading.

Not sure how the TRIM thing will play out; the first round of firmware with initial support were pulled after data corruption issues. And don't expect support any time soon from Apple; this is not the sort of thing 95% of consumers care about, or will notice. That leaves us geeks to sweat on it.

Read Anand's latest article (http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=1) about SSDs to get a better picture.

I think the data corruption issues with trim are the reason that some companies have opted for the backup and restore option of trim. It ensures no corrution issues but is obviously more time consuming.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 10:39 AM
MissionMan - I have just put a 64Gig G-Skill into a new MacBook. I have previously used it to run XP in a desktop where it performed very well. I used the Wiper app from OCZ to trim the drive, which worked brilliantly.

However I am new to the Apple world and would like to ask you 2 questions.

First, you say that

I think the data corruption issues with trim are the reason that some companies have opted for the backup and restore option of trim. It ensures no corrution issues but is obviously more time consuming.

Am I correct in thinking here you mean a standard backup and restore using something like SuperDuper? If so, when reinstaling the OS would the SSD have its partition recreated? I ask this last question as I am wondering if recreating the partition has the same effect as running the Trim command?

Second, having installed the SSD I only see a performance increase in the loading of apps, not with the bootup of the Macbook. Many apps like Safari start almost instantly, but the bootup at best seems no faster than with the original HD. In fact the bootup maybe rather slower, particularly before the apple logo appears on screen. This is the opposite to using XP which booted in like 5 seconds. Any ideas why this may be?

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 11:47 AM
Yup. Super Duper back and restore is what I am referring to. Basically back up with Super Duper, do the trim and then restore. You could still try using the OCZ trim on the drive to see if it works, but do a Superduper before as a backup. From what I understand, G.Skill said that about 10-20% of trim's cause data failure hence the reason they forced people to do a backup and restore. I guess they figured people may not backup again if the first couple worked and would then lose all their data when it eventually failed.

The boot up speed issue can be resolved by resetting the PRAM. On mine I had issues with the boot speed which I did a couple of things to resolve (like setting the PRAM - I didn't realise this was the actual fix, but Xerodude confirmed it for me so thanks to him for this). Check out Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379) for details of how to do this.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks MissionMan. Just one last question. How do I run the trim on the macbook? On windows I used Wiper, but I do not know how to do this on the macbook.

I should also ask about PRAM. I dont know this, so what exactly am I resetting and what am I resetting it too?

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 01:38 PM
This should help on the PRAM

What Does Resetting Your Mac’s PRAM Do? - Interrupt19 (http://www.interrupt19.com/2008/08/07/what-does-resetting-your-macs-pram-do/)

I'm not sure on the wiper front, you'd need to connect to the machine with windows so I'm pretty sure you could just boot of your external via firewire, start a windows VM and then run wiper but I couldn't answer until I'm forced to go that way. You should only have to do it once a year or so when the disk really slows down.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 01:40 PM
thanks. The problem with using wiper is that the pc needs to boot in AHCI? mode for wiper to work. Is there another way to use trim in mac OS?

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 01:45 PM
thanks. The problem with using wiper is that the pc needs to boot in AHCI? mode for wiper to work. Is there another way to use trim in mac OS?

Not until OSX supports it or G.skill release a trim version for Mac. I think they said they were working on something though. I have a spare windows laptop at home I keep for guests so it may just be a case of putting the drive in an external case and trimming it from another machine.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 01:48 PM
yes I suspected it would need that. I will try the vm approach and see it if works. I do notice that many others say that trim should be run every week or two, but you say only when really needed?

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 01:54 PM
From what I was told you shouldn't run it too often, although I'm not sure if its related to the limited number of wipes that you can do on SSD's or specifically for the g.skill drives because you have to wipe them completely and reinstall which affects the overall life of the drive. I'll wait for my drive to approach spindle drive speeds before I trim or until they have a mac version that can allow resets more often.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 02:06 PM
I wondered about the trim issue too and if triming a drive too often would be a problem. Is trimming the same as writing to a cell when it clears it? If so that would count towards cell life. These SSD's are so new even basic info is hard to come by.

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 02:09 PM
Nah, I think it just resets the free status but if you are wiping the drive as what happens currently with the g.skills, the re-writing the drive will impact on the life of the drive if you do it too often, not the trim itself.

Maybe we can get someone to write a generic TRIM OSX program, I'd pay a $20 or more for it if they did.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 02:15 PM
You and me both. Considering the cost of the drives even a bit more than that would be a good investment. One thing I do wonder is this. How does Apple deal with the trim issue with their own supplied SSD's on the macbook pros? Do they simply think they will deal with any users issues if and when they come up? Or are they gambling most users wont have an issue? I would be surprised if they released models with SSD's without being aware of the issue.

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 02:19 PM
No idea to be honest. I've posted up another question on the G.Skill forum to check if they have an ETA on the OSX tool so I'll let you know if they respond.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 02:21 PM
Excellent, thanks MissionMan, I very much appreciate your help. Look forward to hearing what Gskill have to say.

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 03:54 PM
MissionMan, just an update on setting the PRAM, it worked a treat, now the macbook boots up very fast indeed! Thanks for the advice. :)

The_Hawk
3rd October 2009, 04:08 PM
Damn I want one, I just want more space.... although I read that Toshiba has a 512GB unit now :D Sure it's very expensive... but soon... soon

caesarlike
3rd October 2009, 04:11 PM
Hawk, check this out on youtube, 2 macs side by side booting. One on the left is ssd. Mine with ssd, and 2.13 gig CD2 is almost as fast now with the gskill in it.

YouTube - MacBook Pro : disque dur contre SSD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqd5FpjexM4&feature=player_embedded#)

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 05:54 PM
Damn I want one, I just want more space.... although I read that Toshiba has a 512GB unit now :D Sure it's very expensive... but soon... soon

I considered waiting for the 512 but the existing 12mm 512's are $2K vs $750 for the 256GB. It just didn't make sense so I'll put the rest of my stuff on an external for the odd time I need it and get a 512 or 1TB in a year or two when they're cheaper.

The_Hawk
3rd October 2009, 08:01 PM
I considered waiting for the 512 but the existing 12mm 512's are $2K vs $750 for the 256GB. It just didn't make sense so I'll put the rest of my stuff on an external for the odd time I need it and get a 512 or 1TB in a year or two when they're cheaper.

Yeah, I really only have about 200GB of stuff on my MBP at the moment including my music library and a couple of VM's. Even then there is a few DVD images I have been using for installing the VM's which will get cleaned up... so I suppose I could make do with 256GB if I had to. You can stretch it a little further with an express card SSD (but not by much).

I can't really do anything until Christmas, so hopefully they will be a little cheaper bu then.

MissionMan
3rd October 2009, 08:10 PM
Yeah, I really only have about 200GB of stuff on my MBP at the moment including my music library and a couple of VM's. Even then there is a few DVD images I have been using for installing the VM's which will get cleaned up... so I suppose I could make do with 256GB if I had to. You can stretch it a little further with an express card SSD (but not by much).

I can't really do anything until Christmas, so hopefully they will be a little cheaper bu then.

I found there was a surprisingly large amount you can take off. I keep 70% of my VM's on my external and only keep the key ones on my SSD. That way I get the max speed on the key ones, and the other don't run that slow via FW800 anyway so its not much of a speed loss on them. I also shifted some library to my external like my iPhoto Library so I know am sitting at about 200GB

The_Hawk
3rd October 2009, 08:34 PM
The reality is I'm not going to use an external drive, I'd be far more likely to pull the optical drive and put a HDD there to supliment the SSD and use an external optical drive...

...maybe...

Carrying more stuff around isn't something I really want to do.

xerodude
18th October 2009, 08:38 PM
Missionman:

Just for my comparison..... What is your boot-time after the PRAM reset?

I am wondering what variations exist in boot-times, and if a variation exist in how the data was put on the SSD ie clone, full rebuild or TM.

Mine is ~35 seconds from power on. Data was from a SuperDuper clone.
- Power on -> Apple Logo = 13 seconds,
- Apple Logo to spinning wheel = 6 seconds,
- Spinning wheel to running = 17 seconds.

DeanCorp
18th October 2009, 09:04 PM
I have the Intel X-25M G2 160GB SSD.

From Power on until the OS is fully useable is 11 seconds.

Here is my xbench extract incase you were interested:

Results 273.70
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.6.1 (10B504)
Physical RAM 4096 MB
Model MacBookPro5,5
Drive Type INTEL SSDSA2M160G2GC
Disk Test 273.70
Sequential 178.37
Uncached Write 145.69 89.45 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 151.88 85.94 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 153.01 44.78 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 409.53 205.82 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 587.91
Uncached Write 692.35 73.29 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 272.45 87.22 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 1526.68 10.82 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 967.17 179.47 MB/sec [256K blocks]

MissionMan
18th October 2009, 09:14 PM
I'll do a test later tonight. Need to switch off my password to get an exact figure.

wolfie
18th October 2009, 10:25 PM
is there any SSD about 512 yet?

MissionMan
18th October 2009, 10:37 PM
Toshiba have one out but I haven't seen it commercially available. I've seen a 12mm one (can't remember from who) but it won't fit the Apple laptops.

These are my xbench figures:

Results 281.84
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.6 (10A432)
Physical RAM 4096 MB
Model MacBookPro5,2
Drive Type G.SKILL FALCON 256GB SSD
Disk Test 281.84
Sequential 252.84
Uncached Write 318.29 195.42 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 280.37 158.63 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 144.08 42.16 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 460.63 231.51 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 318.37
Uncached Write 115.89 12.27 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 392.44 125.64 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 3238.44 22.95 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 927.67 172.13 MB/sec [256K blocks]

MissionMan
18th October 2009, 10:44 PM
Missionman:

Just for my comparison..... What is your boot-time after the PRAM reset?

I am wondering what variations exist in boot-times, and if a variation exist in how the data was put on the SSD ie clone, full rebuild or TM.

Mine is ~35 seconds from power on. Data was from a SuperDuper clone.
- Power on -> Apple Logo = 13 seconds,
- Apple Logo to spinning wheel = 6 seconds,
- Spinning wheel to running = 17 seconds.

I suspect the type of build would make a difference. I rebuilt my drive shortly before I got my laptop and then time machined the vanilla install across to my current machine. It has seen some performance drops since I got it but it makes it clear that a fresh install will be faster.

On the SSD front, mine starts up in about 25 seconds now. Not sure how people get 11 seconds on a macbook pro, its 6 seconds before I even hit the beep and about 11 seconds before the apple even appears.

DeanCorp
19th October 2009, 01:56 AM
On the SSD front, mine starts up in about 25 seconds now. Not sure how people get 11 seconds on a macbook pro, its 6 seconds before I even hit the beep and about 11 seconds before the apple even appears.

I guess, that is what makes the X-25M so special.

I will video it and upload it to youtube later today.

DeanCorp
19th October 2009, 07:44 AM
fEc8eorTftM

xerodude
19th October 2009, 07:54 AM
Missionman....DeanCorp....

Interesting. The 17" times basically mirror mine. Yet the 13" is faster. I wonder if it is just the brand of SSD causing this variation, or if there are other factors.

Thanks for the input people..!!
:)

MissionMan
19th October 2009, 08:24 AM
I'm not 100% sure its just the drive. Look at the benchmarks and there isn't that much variation.

Its the time pre-boot that seems faster. My actual time from the Apple is pretty similar so I'm not 100% what the variation is or why it occurs.

DeanCorp
19th October 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm not 100% sure its just the drive. Look at the benchmarks and there isn't that much variation.

Its the time pre-boot that seems faster. My actual time from the Apple is pretty similar so I'm not 100% what the variation is or why it occurs.

I am thinking it is to do with the dual graphics cards i.e. 9600M GT + 9400M GT. Whereas the 13" MBP only has 1x 9400M.

EDIT: MissionMan, please can you update to 10.6.1 because I noticed in the Xbench you were still running 10.6. Please can you also install Performance Update 1.0. And then do a PRAM reset and try boot up again.

MissionMan
19th October 2009, 08:49 AM
I am on 10.6.1 with the performance update. The reason it doesn't state it in the benchmarks is because I used old benchmarks from when I first installed my drive. Without having trimmed recently, the benchmarks would have substantially slower.

I did another pram reset though to see if it was the performance update because I don't remember doing one since the update came through.

I think you may be right though, the dual cards in the MBP are probably the culprit here. At the end of the day, its only 10 odd seconds difference, so I can't really complain too much.

xerodude
19th October 2009, 09:09 AM
Here is my xBench. All updates (including the Performance Update) applied.

Quite a large degree of variation. The drive has been in for a few weeks, and used substantially every day. No TRIM or GC routines have been run.

Results 268.76
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
Physical RAM 8192 MB
Model MacBookPro5,2
Drive Type G.SKILL FALCON 256GB SSD
Disk Test 268.76
Sequential 223.66
Uncached Write 285.23 175.13 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 289.38 163.73 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 117.40 34.36 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 415.81 208.98 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 336.65
Uncached Write 116.35 12.32 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 551.99 176.71 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2592.23 18.37 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 917.40 170.23 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Nisstrust
20th October 2009, 08:35 PM
Look forward to installing my 80gb x-25 g2 fingers crossed i get it tomorrow in the mail.
My base is a Hitachi k.200gb 7200rpm drive: after running disktester i got the following results:
==== Tuesday, 20 October 2009 12:41:14 PM AET, volume "Untitled" (186.0GB) ===

-------------- Averages for "Untitled" (512MB/start, 1 iteration) --------------
Chunk Size Write MB/sec Read MB/sec
256K 58.1 57.3
512K 57.1 57.1
1MB 57.1 57.4
2MB 56.5 57.4
4MB 55.9 55.9
8MB 57.1 57.4
16MB 57.8 56.7
32MB 57.6 57.4
64MB 57.4 57.4
128MB 58.1 57.4
256MB 56.8 57.4

Command "run-sequential-suite" executed in 198.91 seconds.
Pretty slow hey.

Nisstrust
23rd October 2009, 01:19 PM
well just installed my SSD
results:
======= Friday, 23 October 2009 1:50:50 PM AET, volume "Boot" (74.2GB) =======

----------------- Averages for "Boot" (512MB/4MB, 1 iteration) -----------------
Area (62.1GB) Write MB/sec Read MB/sec
0% 70.6 134
10% 70.5 135
20% 67.8 134
30% 69.0 135
40% 70.6 134
50% 70.6 134
60% 67.0 134
70% 68.1 134
80% 69.1 134
90% 70.1 134
100% 67.6 133
Average write speed across the volume: 69.2MB/sec
Average read speed across the volume: 134MB/sec

Command "run-area-test" executed in 123.71 seconds.

GraphicsMonkey
23rd October 2009, 01:43 PM
What do you use to get those results? Is there something you just type in command or is there a program? I'd like to test my SSD's in my MacPro :)

MissionMan
23rd October 2009, 01:44 PM
you can download xbench if you want. its free

Nisstrust
23rd October 2009, 06:08 PM
ok i ran the benchmark 1.3
here are my results, it does not feel that fast??

Results 200.63
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
System Version 10.6 (10A432)
Physical RAM 4096 MB
Model MacBookPro4,1
Drive Type INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GC
CPU Test 170.23
GCD Loop 280.37 14.78 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 135.96 3.23 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 113.14 3.73 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 267.55 46.59 Mops/sec
Thread Test 300.50
Computation 426.20 8.63 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 232.06 9.98 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 173.91
System 195.74
Allocate 381.43 1.40 Malloc/sec
Fill 149.32 7260.25 MB/sec
Copy 166.46 3438.22 MB/sec
Stream 156.45
Copy 148.26 3062.16 MB/sec
Scale 145.98 3015.99 MB/sec
Add 167.27 3563.24 MB/sec
Triad 166.84 3569.05 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test 210.68
Line 159.72 10.63 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 208.41 62.22 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 179.68 14.65 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 190.12 4.80 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 541.15 33.85 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 81.00
Spinning Squares 81.00 102.75 frames/sec
User Interface Test 266.49
Elements 266.49 1.22 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test 185.81
Sequential 116.53
Uncached Write 125.16 76.84 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 121.81 68.92 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 72.57 21.24 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 230.11 115.65 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 458.13
Uncached Write 591.05 62.57 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 216.18 69.21 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 1427.54 10.12 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 583.81 108.33 MB/sec [256K blocks]

MissionMan
26th October 2009, 11:07 AM
What doesn't feel fast?

Nisstrust
31st October 2009, 10:34 AM
i should have put a smile on the end of that, i was being sarcastic, the thing is quick! :)

Phunky
31st October 2009, 01:36 PM
G.Skill needs to release either a garbage collecting bios revision or a wiper utility that can be used in OSX. Backing everything up, connecting the SSD to a PC and running wiper etc is going to be a royal pain in the ass
Doing it from bootcamp wont work either, since it has to be in AHCI mode, and wiper wouldnt be able to see the non BC partitions

Phunky
4th November 2009, 09:35 PM
REV 1819 firmware for the Falcon is out now

MissionMan
4th November 2009, 09:35 PM
Out of interest sake, whats the easiest way to install it?

Phunky
4th November 2009, 10:10 PM
Probably have to clone ssd to external hdd, then remove ssd and connect to windows machine, flash the drive and then clone osx back onto the ssd

GraphicsMonkey
11th November 2009, 12:09 AM
Finally got round to giving this a go.

How does it look?

Results 215.27
System Info
Xbench Version 1.3
Physical RAM 16384 MB
Model MacPro3,1
Drive Type Mac
CPU Test 201.49
GCD Loop 327.92 17.29 Mops/sec
Floating Point Basic 164.15 3.90 Gflop/sec
vecLib FFT 132.82 4.38 Gflop/sec
Floating Point Library 314.34 54.74 Mops/sec
Thread Test 826.36
Computation 1131.74 22.93 Mops/sec, 4 threads
Lock Contention 650.77 28.00 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads
Memory Test 204.87
System 299.52
Allocate 435.63 1.60 Malloc/sec
Fill 233.37 11346.82 MB/sec
Copy 291.08 6012.17 MB/sec
Stream 155.67
Copy 157.05 3243.78 MB/sec
Scale 157.62 3256.29 MB/sec
Add 154.37 3288.36 MB/sec
Triad 153.73 3288.58 MB/sec
Quartz Graphics Test 258.36
Line 196.69 13.09 Klines/sec [50% alpha]
Rectangle 258.17 77.08 Krects/sec [50% alpha]
Circle 223.13 18.19 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]
Bezier 230.89 5.82 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]
Text 631.94 39.53 Kchars/sec
OpenGL Graphics Test 94.88
Spinning Squares 94.88 120.36 frames/sec
User Interface Test 359.95
Elements 359.95 1.65 Krefresh/sec
Disk Test 233.97
Sequential 152.03
Uncached Write 159.06 97.66 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 99.93 56.54 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 116.49 34.09 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 698.31 350.96 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Random 507.45
Uncached Write 238.30 25.23 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Write 466.04 149.20 MB/sec [256K blocks]
Uncached Read 2327.88 16.50 MB/sec [4K blocks]
Uncached Read 900.12 167.02 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Sebastianmonty
29th March 2010, 08:24 PM
Months have passed. New SSDs have been released. Anyone with any new details?