PDA

View Full Version : Ebay AU G4 933Mhz CPUs (merged)

blackandblue
9th June 2005, 10:50 PM
Hi there people. I bought and have recieved (no problems there) one of those $130 BuyNow Quicksilver cpus off Ebay. Now i dont have a mac to try it in yet, (buying on saturday, going to leap into a few mods on a sawtooth), but just looking at the chip just then i noticed it actually says

XPC7450
RX733QE
5K51S
DFL0147

Now correct me if im wrong but shouldnt that say 933 not 733? Have i been had? Should i go emailing questions and getting ebay in on it?

Its will still be a world above my g3, but an actual 733 cpu went for well under $100 not so long ago! And if its not what i believed i payed for i want some action!

Anyone else here bought one? is yours the same? is it an O/C 733?

Whats the deal??
Help and ideas would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks
michael

Edge
9th June 2005, 11:05 PM
Sorry.

The chip is a 733 rated chip upclocked to 933. The description on eBay was misleading. It said something about "indirectly from Apple in Asia." I saw them advertised months ago on eBay (USA I think) as upclocked 733s, shipping worldwide from Asia. I suspected these were the same ones, but couldn't be sure until now.

The wording of the ad is deceptive. It should state that they are upclocked, even though it doesn't claim that 933 is the rated speed. Plus the bullshit about coming from Apple in Asia is not only misleading, but nonsense as far as I can tell.

Having said all that, the processor might work well for years, but it's life will be much shorter at 933MHz.

blackandblue
9th June 2005, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the fast reply. Im going to send an email to the seller asking for an explanation, as i was deliberately misled. If he fails to impress me with a decent solution im going to report it to ebay and sort it out with their clout behind me.

As for "indirectly from apple in asia" i just assumed he meant that a box of them fell off the back of a truck so to speak...

Oh well. If anyone else has one, check to see what youve got!

A warning to all if they pop up again! Its not quite what it seems!

Ill keep people posted!

blackandblue
9th June 2005, 11:36 PM
Ive sent the seller an email, its polite, formal, and to the point. Hope i get a reply. Ill just wait and see what happens.

He has sold 12 of them on eBay in the last few weeks, so there are others in the same boat. If his reply isnt up to scratch ill be emailing the other winning bidders letting them know.

jobe
9th June 2005, 11:40 PM
yep. Just checked my 733 (I have it sitting out read for some soldering) and it has the exact line "RX733QE". I would deffinately be asking WTF. Espeially considering the 733s can be picked up cheap and it's just a matter of soldering a small resistor to overclock it.

mivory
9th June 2005, 11:42 PM
Good luck getting any help from ebay. They were totally useless when I got ripped off by a deliberately misleading (lie) ad. :angry:

blackandblue
9th June 2005, 11:50 PM
well i suppose it saves me some soldering, i would of overclocked a 733 if id got one, but im angry about it caus i payed $130 for a 933 caus it was a 933 (and hence had more potential!). there was a 733 for $51 only a couple of weeks ago. So ive essentially payed two and a half times as much, for the same thing in the end.

Plus its been a crappy week anyhow, what a way to top it off.

Byrd
10th June 2005, 08:33 AM
Check the jumper pads around the CPU, does it look like they've been tampered with or something like that (poorly lined up resistors)? If not, it might be a 733 CPU rebadged as 933, it's a fairly hefty difference in clock speed, but if it works well @ 933 it's still a reasonable deal, just falsely advertised.

Give some feedback to the eBay seller of course!

JB

blackandblue
12th June 2005, 06:42 PM
yeah i had a crappy email back,
claims "Apple clocked them from 667Mhz up to 933Mhz. So the CPU is not "over clocked" by Apple's standards"
I beg to differ on that one, im dead certain when you buy a mac from apple that says it has a 933 cpu it has a 933 cpu, not an upclocked 733.
He then tells me of another add on ebay US to show that i still got a good deal, and then says i could get an original 933mhz for $480.
Then says he'll change the add's so its more obvious, but there is one on ebay now, that isnt that different, and in my opinion is still misleading. Nowhere on the add does it state that the cpu is rated for 733mhz.

He also says that he has dual 933's coming up soon, no price yet though.
So as annoyed as i am, it was a good price, i got it quickly and he is polite and has replied to my complaint. Just be wary.

coastalcomputing
12th June 2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by mivory@Jun 9 2005, 11:42 PM
Good luck getting any help from ebay. They were totally useless when I got ripped off by a deliberately misleading (lie) ad. :angry:
I've been ripped off by going through eBay too. I tell people these days if they deal with eBay they will get ripped off sooner or later. I lost out $2,600 so i was pretty peeved.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

jdagis
3rd July 2005, 01:06 PM
I bought one of those last week for my Quicksilver 733. I figured for the low price they'd be an overclocked 733 without the L3 backside cache. So I sent a 'request to seller' aking him this. He replied promptly that this was the case and stated that a genuine one from Apple was $350.

I ended up buying it and fitted it yeterday and it worked fine until I opened Photoshop with it. It got halfway through applying a Tile filter on a 14MB photo when the whole computer froze and a 'You need to Restart' screen came up. Halfway through booting up it froze again and the same screen came up again and again. I ended up shutting down and hitting the CUDA button and it booted up again and ran successfully—until I used Photoshop, In Design or Acrobat—all the adobe programs that use the ALTIVEC part of the processor. I repeated the process, including removing the heatsink and reapplying thermal paste, for a great part of the day, trying to get it running, till in the end it froze without the help of the Adobe programs.

Has anybody else out there had my problem? I feel that the overclocking may have stuffed the ALTIVEC part of the processor, or I've bought a dud. In either
case I'd expect a refund.

Byrd
3rd July 2005, 03:38 PM
A common symptom of overclocked G4 CPUs is the failure of the Altivec unit on the processor. In other words, the unit you have is overclocked too high. When downclocked it'll most likely work - such as at 866 or 800Mhz.

The eBay seller is just clocking them all up at this speed when not all CPUs can guarantee to be stable at higher overclocked speeds. I'd get in contact with the original poster of this thread (blackandblue) to see if he/she had the same problem as yourself. In any event, I hope you can get a refund - overclocked or not, it should work as advertised.

JB

blackandblue
3rd July 2005, 04:11 PM
hey again, mine is still working ok in my quicktooth. i havent noticed any problems. it hasnt had any kernal panics or anything. im not using photoshop or anything altivec based though, ill get a copy and try it out and see what happens. My cpu is only running at 700mhz though, so its underclocked not over clocked (caus of the 100mhz bus speed). I am still going to try clocking it up sooner or later, but ive moved out, on dial up and a bit strapped for cash and time at the moment. Sorry to hear that yours is no good! i recommend complaining to the seller and getting him to cough up for another, or a replacement!

applecollector
3rd July 2005, 04:40 PM
When you got ripped of for $2600 what happened?
My ebay account was stolen 2 days ago and the guy AKA bluecomputer999@yahoo.com.au (LETS ALL GIVE HIM SPAM!!!!)
HACKER!!!!!!! He changed my password and ebay name and decided to go on a shopping spree spending over $8000 dollars! He was stupid enough to leave his address in as well!!!!
Oh yea on top of that he sent me an email saying "Your ebay account is no more, i have taken it, and the only way your going to get it back is if you beg like a B*T*H!!!
Yesterday i managed to get my account back tho!
Thought i have my say!

Sorry for going off topic!

LCGuy
3rd July 2005, 09:49 PM
Oh my..good to hear you sorted it out, applecollector! :o

darknight84
4th July 2005, 12:56 AM
2600 is enough to get anyone peeved. Were you able to catch the guy that scammed you?

applecollector
4th July 2005, 11:02 AM
well i know where he lives and his yahoo account but thats it!
He kept sending me all these e-mails, But the good news is that i got rid of him!
I out smarted him! :-)
lol lol

jdagis
4th July 2005, 06:27 PM
I emailed the seller re the problems with the upclocked 733 processor and was pleased to get a reply acknowledging that it must be a faulty processor. He said it was the first one of that batch to have a fault and he would mail me out another one which he would test with the Adobe CS programs before sending it to me tomorrow. He seems to be a OK.

jdagis
12th July 2005, 06:53 AM
The replacement CPU arrived yesterday and works fine—no issues with Adobe & no more crashes.

LCGuy
12th July 2005, 10:20 AM
Great to hear. :)

queraxus
12th July 2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by applecollector@Jul 4 2005, 11:02 AM
well i know where he lives and his yahoo account but thats it!
He kept sending me all these e-mails, But the good news is that i got rid of him!
I out smarted him! :-)
lol lol
If the guy is in Australia, let the police know. That's the only way these animals learn.

Eurosnob
14th July 2005, 01:55 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...5219111020&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4607&item=5219111020&rd=1)

Does anyone have any comments on this? It seems a little dodgy at first glance.

Thanks.

mac_man_luke
14th July 2005, 02:13 PM
its an overclocked 733

mvjs
14th July 2005, 02:15 PM
It looks a tad fake to me.

My philosipy is if I can't see a proper* photo I won't buy it.

*I consider a proper photo to be on like it kitchen table back drop, or wood. Professional photos like that, look like they've been Googled.

Eurosnob
14th July 2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by mac_man_luke@Jul 14 2005, 03:13 PM

its an overclocked 733

Pooh! That's what I thought it may be.

Oh well, at least I didn't get my hopes up.

Thanks all.

Byrd
14th July 2005, 02:47 PM
There is a similar thread on this here:

http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?s...been+ripped+off (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=8962&hl=have+I+been+ripped+off)?

I've merged these two topics together.

JB

blackandblue
16th July 2005, 05:33 PM
yeah thats what i bought, for $30 more. Same seller, hes changed his ebay id though. Be very aware its not an original 933 cpu. That said he is quick with his emails, and sendings and what not, just edging on fraudulent on what he says hes selling.

darknight84
18th July 2005, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by queraxus@Jul 12 2005, 10:37 AM
If the guy is in Australia, let the police know. That's the only way these animals learn.
Police wont do anything in that case. They have better things to do like eating donuts and watching tv all day...lazy bums...