PDA

View Full Version : How to change "shortname" in Accounts OS10.4.8?

countryslicker
1st September 2009, 10:29 AM
I have sold my old Powerbook, and erased everything on the hard drive that I don’t need. I’ve managed to change the Admin account to the new buyer’s name in Preferences>Accounts, but my own “shortname” still appears right underneath.

When I open the HD (Tiger 10.4.8), in the list on the left, next to the “home” icon, my shortname also appears.

Is there anyway I can remove or change my name?

Any advice appreciated.

ClockWork
1st September 2009, 10:44 AM
Insert the original Mac OS 10.4 Tiger Installer, and restart the PowerBook with just the C key on the keyboard held down.

This forces the PowerBook to restart off the Tiger Installer Disc.

It will Restart into the Installer, giving you a list of Languages, of which English is the default, so just press your return key to move on.

The Installer window appears.

Ignore it and click on the top menu item: Utilities - and scroll down to: Disk Utility.

In the Disk Utility window, click once on the very top-left Hard Drive icon to highlight it - (it begins with the number of Gigabytes the Hard Drive holds) - ie: 80 GB WDC etc etc.

Then on the right side of the Disk Utility window, click once on the Erase tab.

Make sure that the Volume Format is: Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

and then click once on the Erase... button and again on the drop-down window's Erase button.

This will erase everything on your PowerBook.

Then simply Quit out of Disk Utility, and Install Mac OS X.

This provides the new owner with a completely clean fresh Operating System, with absolutely no remnants left behind.

countryslicker
1st September 2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks ClockWork

The situation is a bit more complicated (partitioned hard drive, long story, blah blah) and I'm not really in a situation to do any clean reinstall(s). Immediate pickup was involved (the PB has now left the building). I just wanted some sort of quick fix :confused:

At least I now know the name can't be changed without doing this. Advice much appreciated!