PDA

View Full Version : Problems with SL and Kyocera Printer

Muzzer
1st September 2009, 09:05 AM
I've got a weird problem printing to a Kyocera KM-2550 Network printer since I've upgraded to SL.
The printer is found on the network and I can see it's built in web config page but I can't print to it. SL has a driver for it and I've tried that plus a generic PCL and Generic PS driver, but none of them work. I've tried deleting all printers from my MBP and adding new ones again. Running out of options. Any other suggestions please? The IT guys just shrug their shoulders and say "it's a Mac, we have no clue"

Kiminao
3rd September 2009, 02:42 AM
Similar problem with a Kyocera KM 5050... I suspect the driver software simply isn't compatible with 10.6. I've written to Kyocera but no reply yet.

Frustrating to say the least, especially since 10.6 drops AppleTalk support, so my (perfectly functioning) LaserWriter 12/640PS is now useless.

halledise
3rd September 2009, 10:57 AM
to both prior posts, suggest go back to 10.5.8 until such time as support drivers are released … …

for what it's worth, both my mono and color laser Kyoceras work fine under SL

Evad
4th September 2009, 11:36 AM
I too had the same error after upgrading to Snow Leopard. We use a KM-2550 here in our office.

Tried all the same options as the OP.

1. Reinstall Kyocera 10.5 Drivers (version 1.0)
2. Removing Installed printers & reinstalling etc.
3. Emailed Kyocera (so far no reply)

TODAY I FOUND A SOLUTION (thanks to codedifferent (http://www.codedifferent.com/2009/09/02/howto-reactivate-your-kyocera-printer-under-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/))

Open the program “Terminal” – you’ll find it under “Programs/Utilities”.
Input the following command into the appearing command-line window and finish it with pressing the return-key:
sudo chown root:wheel /usr/libexec/cups/filter/kyofilter
Now, you’ll be prompted for your password … so put in your password of the admin account and finish the input by pressing the return key again

Seems it is just a permissions error after the Snow Leopard install. Check out the full diagnosis and solution on the codedifferent (http://www.codedifferent.com/2009/09/02/howto-reactivate-your-kyocera-printer-under-mac-os-x-snow-leopard/) website.