PDA

View Full Version : USB to Serial Connections

InfiniteAnthony
30th June 2004, 11:25 AM
Hi Guys,

I was interested to know if anyone knows of a reliable and good quality USB to serial connection/cable for my Powerbook. I am after one to connect to our Routers, Switches and Dell servers. This would eliminate the use of a second computer onsite which is always nice.

Also does anyone know of a GUI application that can create the connection? Is Terminal app capable of this?

kenz0r
2nd July 2004, 01:43 PM
Xedos,
I picked up a "U232 USB to serial adapter" from Jaycar for $39 bucks.
It comes with a 8cm CD, so you can't use it on the slot loading drives, but if you do a google search for U232, there are OS X 10.3 10.2 etc drivers on their site.

For terminal work i use ZTerm, its really good, and has no troubles finding the USB serial port. I use it to administer a Minitar Gigabit Switch, and it has no problems at all.

Thanks
Ken

larfinboy
6th July 2004, 02:43 PM
I had a similar USB-serial adapter. I found it problematic under Mac OS X.
The only driver that worked was a beta copy and the chip manufacture, Prolific, didn't seem very interested in supporting the Mac.

I work personally recommend a Keyspan adapter. I have a USA-19HS and it's been working absolutely faultless.
And Keyspan provide excellent support for other OSes should you need to use it on an Intel laptop running Windows or Linux.

InfiniteAnthony
6th July 2004, 04:44 PM
Thanks for your comments guys!

Concretes my already strong support for this site!