PDA

View Full Version : Remote access question

iPath
31st August 2009, 04:47 PM
I have been looking between my two machines (Powerbook G4 running tiger and 09 Mini running Leopard) to access the mini which is being used as a HTPC from the powerbook to change settings etc instead of dragging out the mouse and keyboard to the living room to change things.

I have gone into the sharing preferences on both machines and activated everything i want activated including 'Remote management' on the mini and 'APPLE REMOTE DESKTOP' on the powerbook.

I get given addresses that can be used for another user to access either machine but im at a loss as to what to do from here. If i type these addresses into firefox or safari it just comes up saying the page cannot be displayed. is there somewhere else im supposed to be typing these addresses into?

I have absolutely no idea what im doing when it comes to this but i am assuming if this will work between these two machines it will allos me to access my mini via the powerbook and view exactly what the mini is displaying on my TV and vice versa.

Thanks in advance for your help and i hope this all makes sense to someone..

iPath
31st August 2009, 05:40 PM
Anyone?

elliotto
31st August 2009, 06:24 PM
Well this is a description of the exact set up i have here at my place. Powerbook G4 which i use to remotely control my Mac Mini which is a HTPC.

1. Go to your system preferences and turn on screen sharing on the Mini.

2. Once thats done get your powerbook out and locate the icon for the mac mini in the left pane of the finder window (this is assuming they are both connected to the same network).

3. Once you have clicked on the mini icon, the contents will be displayed in the main part of the finder window.

4. If you are viewing your window as icon, list, or coverflow... there will be two buttons in the top right corner of the finder window. One will be labelling 'Share Screen'

5. If you are viewing the window in columns, the Share Screen button will be in the first column under the name and picture of your mini.

6. Once you click the Share Screen button, it will open up the Screen Sharing app and automatically connect to your mini display. Now everything you do with your mouse and keyboard is relayed onto you mini. You can either look at your powerbook screen (so you can have your tv turned off) or you can look at the Mini's screen (so you would be using the powerbook as a wireless keyboard and mouse).

Does that make sense?

iPath
31st August 2009, 06:55 PM
Elliotto, makes alot of sense BUT it doesn't work like that for me.

1. All done and activated

2. This is problematic, (My mini and powerbook are connected over wireless if this makes any difference) For me to access my mini from the powerbook i need to go to Network where it then gives me 4 options, Library, Mac Mini, Mac Mini and Servers. If i click on the first MAC MINI option it asks me to type in my username and password and then it lets me select what i want to load up (Minis HDD or the external HDD's connected to it) and if i click on the second one it is some workgroup which i cant do anything with.

I understand what your saying about the icon appearing on the left as thats what it does on the mini for the powerbook but its not working like that from the powerbook to the mini.

Any idea what to do from here?

elliotto
31st August 2009, 09:05 PM
Ok i have found out your problem... Tiger. I didn't see that the first time i read your post. Screen sharing is a leopard feature. This does not mean it cannot be done in Tiger, it just means there is not an app built into the OS to perform this.

Because your mini is running Leopard, the screen sharing on that side of the equation is working fine (we can assume), so you have one of two options...

1. Upgrade your Powerbook to Leopard (Snow Leopard is not an option as PPC support has been dropped).

2. Install 3rd party VNC software.

The first option is the most costly and probably the most unlikely one you would chose, especially if it is just to share a screen.

The second option is easier and should work fine. VNC (Virtual Network Computing) is what the Screen Sharing app in Leopard is. But because Tiger does not have it built in, you can download and use a 3rd party app and use it to connect to the leopard screen sharing app on the mini.

A quick search for free VNC clients found one called Chicken Of The VNC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/). I downloaded and installed it and it ran perfectly first time. It should show you a list of available servers, and hopefully your Mac Mini will be one of them. Then just put in the password to connect to that server (this is the password you set for screen sharing access in the Mac Mini preferences, if you set one at all). Once connected it should show your Mac mini display.

I found it actually ran surprisingly quick and showed the display in full quality. The Leopard screen sharing app can reduce the quality of display to speed up bandwidth but when its on full quality i find it rather laggy. So as long as Chicken Of The VNC works for you, it looks like a pretty good investment.

If you're going to give the Chicken a go, let me know how it goes.

iPath
31st August 2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks heaps mate... I will have a look at it now

iPath
1st September 2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks Elliotto... Chicken of the VNC works, Albeit a bit jumpy but it does what i want it to do which is alter eye tv recordings and do updates to the mini etc..

I have been wanting to put leopard on the powerbook for a while so may look into it more now but this will be great for now..

Thankyou