PDA

View Full Version : CS4 and Postscript type 1 fonts

andoneo
31st August 2009, 12:58 PM
hey all.

Ando here. I work at the Trading Post in the commercial print division. (Yeah I know, I feel like Leonardo Dicaprio sometimes... If only Kate Winslet was on this sinking ship with me)

But we here at TP down in sunny Seaford. (Shout out to Seaford Safeway) are actually delving into the online realm with some online work in flash and are using CS4.

We have found a little issue though with one of our most fundamental fonts - Helvetica, which doesn't want to show up in the font list in Flash.

We have a standard default setup on all machines with the fonts in the main library folder. (Not user library). They are Postscript type 1 fonts and it seems that most of them are working but some of them (including Helvetica) are not wheras they work fine in CS3.

Was just wondering if anyone else has come across this issue or knows a possible work around.

Cheers

ZacDavies
1st September 2009, 02:39 AM
I can't see why your having any trouble using a font that's both system and web compliant...
How are you managing your fonts.. Linotype Font Explorer? Fontcase? Font book?

andoneo
1st September 2009, 01:05 PM
I can't see why your having any trouble using a font that's both system and web compliant...
How are you managing your fonts.. Linotype Font Explorer? Fontcase? Font book?

We don't really have a management system. A few months back the IT guys threw a folder in the library standardizing the fonts available to TP prodcution departments nationwide. It seems that's the extent of font management currently in play. We may have to look at going with an open type font.

RustySpanner
1st September 2009, 05:58 PM
Try putting the font in ~Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts (that's the library at the root directory of your boot drive).
It will be available to CS apps only, avoiding conflicts with system fonts.
Also run FontNuke if you don't already (google it), it cleans out font caches and has sorted pretty much every font hiccup I've ever had.

ZacDavies
1st September 2009, 08:48 PM
^ what he said

..then slap your IT department for being douches. Perhaps get Font Explorer X Pro for future, which utilises server managment systems.