PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard - Emptying Trash takes forever

ausdan
30th August 2009, 09:29 AM
Since upgrading to SL 2 days ago, I have found that emptying the Trash is a long and sloooow process. Is there anyway to speed things up?

grfxninja
30th August 2009, 10:39 AM
I haven't had any dramas. How many items do you normally have in there?

I just did a clean out after a SL install, and had about 3500 items in the trash. I reckon it deleted in record time!

Lutze
30th August 2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Ausdan,

Are you by any chance securely emptying your trash?

I found a similar issue if so - I've just unchecked *securely empty* for now until it's resolved.

BeePee
30th August 2009, 10:57 AM
Had the same problem, every time I emptied the trash it would freeze and had to force quit.
All I did was uncheck the box re warning used it a couple of times ...rechecked the box and it's been a goer ever since

ausdan
30th August 2009, 11:25 AM
Hey Ausdan,

Are you by any chance securely emptying your trash?

I found a similar issue if so - I've just unchecked *securely empty* for now until it's resolved.

Thanks mate. Seems to have done the trick

PeteinSA
30th August 2009, 12:40 PM
HELP! Where do I find the checkbox? Mine seems to have deleted the simple Empty Trash option and does everything securely since the update? There doesn't seem to be a checkbox, certainly not in the Finder menu...

Lutze
30th August 2009, 12:56 PM
HELP! Where do I find the checkbox? Mine seems to have deleted the simple Empty Trash option and does everything securely since the update? There doesn't seem to be a checkbox, certainly not in the Finder menu...

Finder preferences:
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/265/findersecure.jpg

canonafficionado
30th August 2009, 12:58 PM
Nice one Lutze! Was having the same issue here too.

PeteinSA
30th August 2009, 01:00 PM
Ok, I now officially feel like I don't deserve to have this awsome bit of gear called a MBP :sick: I was looking so hard for it I missed that one! Thanks. Hopefully I can repay the favour if you are having a blonde / seniors moment one day..

Lutze
30th August 2009, 01:04 PM
Ok, I now officially feel like I don't deserve to have this awsome bit of gear called a MBP :sick: I was looking so hard for it I missed that one! Thanks. Hopefully I can repay the favour if you are having a blonde / seniors moment one day..

More than happy to come and take it off your hands if you want ;)

It's no problem - when I enabled it for the first time it was in Tiger - It's been running fine all the way through Leopard until now. So finding it again was a bit of a chore.

PeteinSA
30th August 2009, 01:14 PM
More than happy to come and take it off your hands if you want ;)

;) Thanks but no, you b@$tards are getting an Apple store before us so your offer is respectfully rejected. Maybe if we had one here I could waste a Genuius' time instead :D

bigmouth
31st August 2009, 07:41 PM
I had 30,000 items to trash (after a clean install, decided to bump the stuff I didn't need) - and it took ALL DAY !