PDA

View Full Version : TM Backup after SL Upgrade...

cejay
29th August 2009, 09:45 PM
My TM is dutifully backing up the 21gb of data it thinks has changed since the SL upgrade last night.

Obviously this is just an incremental backup and used with all the other incrementals and the base, it should be sufficient to perform a total system restore. However, if I wanted to do a new base backup and then run my incrementals from there, how would I do that? Where does TM keep the catalogue and how do I make sure that if I simply delete the existing backups that TM fully understands that I want it to perform a full backup for me next run?

I remember having this issue with Vista when it came out and that it was more or less impossible for a non technical user to perform a subsequent backup without using unsupported commands from the CL. It seems that Vista kept the catalog on the PC and it didn't matter what you did with the backup drive, if you used the same drive it thought that all later backups were incrementals, there was no way for a user to perform a simple reset. That was back pre SP1, so it might have changed, but before I start deleting my TM backups I thought I'd check how it's handled.

grfxninja
29th August 2009, 09:49 PM
If there is no file available for TM to do an incremental backup on, then it will automatically start a new base backup

Huy
29th August 2009, 09:53 PM
Use another drive or volume/partition and start that as a new TM. You still have your old backups from pre-SL.

cejay
29th August 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks Ninja...knew (hoped) that it would be better than Vista.

Huy, don't need the old backups. In reality it's just a point in time recovery situation I am looking to cover. There's nothing that I deleted some time ago that I need to recover.

The other thing is, I am assuming that complete system recovery using my TM backups would still work without having to do another base backup? Sounds dumb, but when you think that it probably wouldn't for a Vista-7 upgrade perhaps not so crazy a question?

Huy
29th August 2009, 10:04 PM
If you don't need old backups, just wipe the TM drive clean (format) and select the disk again in TM System Preferences to use that 'new' drive as the TM backup drive. It'll do a fresh (complete) backup. May take a while though but SL claims 80% faster TM backups.

The new (first) backup will be a complete SL one. That is my opinion/thinking. Therefore from this new backup, you don't need to stuff around with Leopard again etc. Use the TM and restore your system back to how it is right now.

cejay
29th August 2009, 10:11 PM
Thanks Huy! A job for tomorrow me thinks.

The_Hawk
29th August 2009, 10:47 PM
My first TM backup was only 7GB which I thought was pretty good. Funny thing is that my Leopard install could access the TM backup but hadn't been able to do an incremental in the last 48 hours... just kept "preparing" yet post SL it just works again. Nice.

cejay
31st August 2009, 12:09 PM
I did a format and partition and it did a new base backup for me. Worked just as it should. If you've ever used the backup feature in Vista you'll know why this was such a concern for me.

Thanks for all the help.

TOM.WILLISON
11th September 2009, 02:15 PM
Have a new Imac and time machine did the first back up on leapord then installed SL. Now I can not get the Imac to back up :angry: Any suggestions