PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install SL

Antares
29th August 2009, 05:29 PM
So, went off an bought a copy of SL this arvo... everything worked fine, until I got to the installation part. The bloody thing just won't install... and it told me to clean my disc (which came straight from the retail box.. yeah right).

So I'm guessing its my superdrive then? Tried the remote disc option with brother's PC running 7, but still a no go. Is there a chance that the CD is faulty? I mean, running all the other stuff is fine (like the instructions pdf).

So... any suggestions?

Thanks!!

PS. my macbook pro ejected the SL disc on its first try.. fine on the second try. it was on denial.

maghemi
29th August 2009, 06:10 PM
yeah I've been running into similar problems with mine. I put it down to a dodgy dvd in my macbook. I'm not currently at home to try the disc in my mini or pro. But I've had no end of problems so far.

At the moment I'm creating a USB copy of the disc to try and install from that.

Antares
30th August 2009, 11:33 AM
Well my thumb drive is only 4gb... So thats a no go for me. Does anyone know if its possible to install from an external HDD?

Cheers

Geoff3DMN
30th August 2009, 11:38 AM
If you can install from a USB thumb drive then you can install from a USB external hard drive...

Huy
30th August 2009, 11:38 AM
Yes it is possible. Restore to a volume and boot from it.

maghemi
30th August 2009, 03:17 PM
The only thing you can't do from that method is upgrade an existing leopard install from within leopard.

Antares
30th August 2009, 03:26 PM
So that means if I install from my HDD, its a clean install? Then can I use my Time Machine to restore things back the way it was? Oh, and is it alright to use my Time Machine HDD?

If so, a guide on how to install SL through HDD would be great.

Thanks!

azenis
1st September 2009, 12:12 PM
Yeah there are some dodgy discs. I had one that worked fine in my near new MBP but my MacPro had the problems you described.

I made a backup copy of it with Toast on the MBP and that worked fine in the Mac Pro.

mufc_au
1st September 2009, 02:29 PM
Mine was dodgey also..

alepro
1st September 2009, 02:46 PM
Similar issue here. I overcame it by using DVD sharing, since my macbook pro had no issues with the disc, but my mac mini did.

Worked fine from there.

azenis
1st September 2009, 02:59 PM
I tried this too but for some reason, even though I could open the disc and look at the instructions etc, I could not run the installer.
But then I may have been doing something wrong, as I have never done dvd sharing before...

resonance
1st September 2009, 02:59 PM
If it is the old non-unibody MBP's (probably even with the new ones) I used to have a problem with the DVD drive. Noticed it when I tried to burn a disc, constantly said Unable to Calibrate media.

Quick fix is, a can of compressed Air jetted in for a couple of seconds to clean the blasted thing out. Works like a charm after.

I can't say for certain if this is the problem, but who knows, you may have some luck

dagaz
1st September 2009, 04:18 PM
So, went off an bought a copy of SL this arvo... everything worked fine, until I got to the installation part. The bloody thing just won't install... and it told me to clean my disc (which came straight from the retail box.. yeah right).

I had the same thing happen to me, where it kept wanting me to clean the DVD. I've just gotten off the phone to Apple Support (I had to give them just about every piece of information they could ask for both on the box and on the DVD itself) and it sounds like itís a known issue - they're going to ship me out a replacement DVD.

Antares
1st September 2009, 05:07 PM
So its not my dvd drive then, its the CD itself?

Well, gonna have to get a replacement then.. Does it matter if I go to the apple store if I bought mine at nextbyte?

Cheers!

MrJesseRoss
1st September 2009, 05:19 PM
If you bought it at Next Byte, return it to them for a replacement.

I also got the 'clean your disc' error message. So I rang AppleCare straight away and after a bit of fiddling about with the disc, arranged a new copy to be sent out (I bought from Apple online).