PDA

View Full Version : Iphoto

Georgina EG
13th July 2005, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know why my straight lines in photographs are printed wavy, and how it can be stopped?

I recently asked a local woman who is a fanatical photographer, but she didn't know. She had considered buying an iMac, but after checking it out considered that the photography software available for Macs was not as comprehensive as for PCs.

Squozen
13th July 2005, 06:42 PM
I thought Photoshop ran pretty much the same on both OSs...

Dunno what you mean about wavy lines though... screenshot?

spargo
13th July 2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Georgina EG@Jul 13 2005, 03:16 AM
I recently asked a local woman who is a fanatical photographer, but she didn't know. She had considered buying an iMac, but after checking it out considered that the photography software available for Macs was not as comprehensive as for PCs.
I'm a bit dubious about this assumption Georgina... most semi-pro photographers i know either use macs, or plan to be buying one next.

What kind of software would you want that isn't available on Mac, that would make you stick with Windows PC's for photo editing/managing etc..? I'm intrigued that i'm missing out on something..

There's probably a few people in here who can comment on what they use for high-end photo work.. For me it is Photoshop CS for all facets of editing, with just good ol' iPhoto 05 for managing my massive personal library (approaching 7000 images)

[spargo Edit: I also cannot spell 'intrigued']

Georgina EG
13th July 2005, 08:03 PM
I don't know how to give you a screen shot, when I tried by dragging the small photograph onto this page, it ended up massive with only a part visible, and at that size the wavy lines disappeared! I then couldn't get rid of it, and had to click off from AppleTalk and Safari.

I wanted to show you a couple of photographs of my iMac and desk area indicating how the straight lines of the screen and a whiteboard become wavy or serrated; and that's how they print 6 X 4.

I'm not able to comment any more on what I was told by the lady up the road, she seemed to know what she was talking about, but I do remember that she mentioned photographs on 3-D cubes, overlapping collages and such things.

snax
13th July 2005, 08:06 PM
Does this image you are priting have a DPI of at least 150?

300 dpi is preferable.

Also make sure that you've set your printer to its highest output resolution (probably settings in the print dialog somewhere).

snax
13th July 2005, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Georgina EG@Jul 13 2005, 12:16 PM
She had considered buying an iMac, but after checking it out considered that the photography software available for Macs was not as comprehensive as for PCs.
Totally untrue, that poor lady just gave herself a gaol sentence with a Windows PC for no good reason.

...Unless you count her stupidity as a reason.

964RSCS
13th July 2005, 08:15 PM
What size are the photos? Pixel size I mean - as taken by the camera.

If they are "squashed down" to fit the screen in iPhoto they won't look too hot, but as for them printing like this on a printer, I'm not sure why that would be. Are they being highly compressed somewhere along the line? File size compression that is. Does the camera do this?

Could it be the camera? Is the lense clean? Is it a good quality glass lense? Not some plastic one which has distorted in the heat! New camera? Or just started doing this?

EDIT, re-read Georginas second post and picked up extra detail as below...

964RSCS
13th July 2005, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Georgina EG@Jul 13 2005, 08:03 PM
it ended up massive with only a part visible, and at that size the wavy lines disappeared!
Yep, the camera is taking very large pics, and you are trying to display them at a comparatively small size. The distortion is caused by the software trying to do this IMO.

I guess iPhoto then trys to print this smaller image on the 6 x 4 aswell...

How many Megapixel camera is it?

964RSCS
13th July 2005, 08:26 PM
Turn down the image size/quality setting on the camera, unless you know you particularly want to do a very large print of the photo you are about to take.

4 Megapixels for example, will be well more than enough for a quality 6 x4 print. And your friends won't curse you when you try to email them your pics! :)

EDIT - Yep, just trying to get my post count up!

Squozen
13th July 2005, 08:36 PM
To take a screenshot you could press shift-cmd-4, then press space. Click the camera icon over the window you want to capture. Grats you on a PNG file saved to the desktop.

Georgina EG
14th July 2005, 10:40 AM
I've tried the shift/command/4 and space bar routine to get icons on the screen as suggested, but they refuse to be dragged onto this so that I can show you. I've just experimented using iPhoto's email to see how the shots appear, but surprise surprise, the distortion isn't as obvious.

My camera is an Olympus C-450 Zoom with 4.0 megapixels, so is not exactly a cheapie. Photographs displayed large size on the screen and when they are printed large, look extremely good, but A4 isn't a practical size for printing.

Compressing the shots to 6 X 4 and smaller is probably the reason they become distorted, and unless there's a software glitch like so many other ones this iMac has thrown at me, and which updates and Disko have been necessary to assist, I don't understand why iPhoto isn't able to compensate.

I began using the digital camera just a few months ago (a year after buying it!), previously using a tried and trusted German Voiglander Vito BL. Although it is reasonably compact for a quality 35mm camera, it's a touch heavy, and of course doesn't have digital capabilities with my computer. During one of Disko's visits he showed me how to download my first half a dozen shots from the Olympus, but the camera's intricacies are generally unknown to me. At the time we checked out the Graphic Converter stuff I'd downloaded, but agreed that it looked too complex, and my photograph printing woes continue. It's very disappointing.

964RSCS
14th July 2005, 07:27 PM
Georgina, I would recommend Photoshop Elements as a good starting software package. Priced around $160 from memory. If you then get keen enough, you can upgrade to Photoshop CS...

This will give more functionality than iPhoto, and will certinly handle the size adjustment and printing correctly. I'd suggest that iPhoto is a fairly basic program, both in features and ability.

As for the higher pixel count, well you can use the full 4 megapixels for every photo, the downside being you won't be able to store as many on the cameras data card, and you will have to do more work (although not too much) to reduce the image size and image file size when emailing for example, or for when resizing to print. If you used a camera store to do your prints, they would sort this out, as most people would give them large images to print on say 6 x 4 - it's not a big deal to do.

It's a shame you haven't found the digital photography experience to be worthwhile so far. I've only recently switched to digital from print and slide film. I had mainly been waiting for higher megapixel SLR's to become more freely available (read cheaper!). I used to scan my prints or negatives onto the computer and play around with them in photoshop, but now it's just straight from camera to computer!! So much quicker and easier with digital. The flexability digital offers is great, but you will always get larger, high quality prints from film. Not an issue for 99.9% of users though.

Unless you are happy to just take your data card to your local camera store to have your prints developed, you will have to take the plunge with some imaging software. The basics are fairly straight foward though.

Good luck with it. Feel free to PM if you have any q's etc.

Georgina EG
14th July 2005, 11:05 PM
The Photoshop Elements software looks a likely answer to my woes, I've Googled to a couple of the sites, and if the process is simple enough, it might be a good investment. There was no price mentioned though. Certainly my iPhoto isn't doing its job properly, although I suppose comparing the results with my German Voiglander Vito BL which has a superb lens, perhaps I've expected too much.

I was non-plussed seven years ago on the turret of a castle in England, my sister-in-law was taking my photograph, and a man came dashing across full of excitement having recognised the camera. He seemed over the top with his enthusiasm, but having just Googled the camera's name for interest, I've found it mentioned as a classic and a collector's piece.