PDA

View Full Version : Newton on its way

cmetom
30th June 2004, 03:01 AM
i managed to grab an ok-looking upgraded 2000 from ebay, from a seller who would only ship within the US.. so it'll be having a little homestay at my friend's place before it comes to me.. heh.

i'll keep u updated if u like.. i dunno if it's being part of the community or bragging (or maybe you all don't care!! hehe i'm rambling. damn this 3AM).

*falls asleep*

Night all,
cmetom

cmetom
13th November 2004, 12:50 PM
two things: some ebay people suck. i'm still waiting on a refund from my original winning newton bid.

second: some ebay people rock.
US$50 plus shipping, and i have an upgraded 2000 with an AA battery tray, intact screen cover and clips, original stylus, 2x 4Mb memory cards and some other crap.

iSlayer
13th November 2004, 12:57 PM
mmmm newton

i want one :)

cmetom
13th November 2004, 02:11 PM
my newton would like to say hello.

iSlayer
13th November 2004, 02:19 PM
your making me jealous :)

adamjc
13th November 2004, 02:51 PM
Whats so good about a Newton? Everyone goes on about them!

At the risk of sounding ignorant...Arent they just a regular PDA.

iSlayer
13th November 2004, 03:07 PM
yep just a pda

it's a shame apple scraped the pda project last year.
a new newtown would have been so cool.
now if only i could get my hand on one of the protoypes they made last year

adamjc
13th November 2004, 03:10 PM
now if only i could get my hand on one of the protoypes they made last year

Any pics floating around the web of these prototypes? Would be interesting how different they are to the old ones!

-Adam.

ajs
13th November 2004, 03:13 PM
You've got to put them in context - they were ahead of their time. Like most Apple releases, they were the fruits of some good old fashioned R&D into new vistas of personal computing.

It is just a shame that Apple was a shambles in terms of management and organisational structure at that time. Really lacked discipline. New proposals would be floated, conceived and worked upon, only to have the engineering team either lose interest, or be assimilated into some other project on a whim. I'm not saying that this was how the Newton team was, but it is indicative of the culture at the place at the time. Consequently, I think the Newton suffered for this. The OS was not properly completed (handwriting recognition was shakey at best) and this gave the Newton a well deserved bad reputation on initial release.

For me though, it is a significant piece of Apple's history. :)

iSlayer
13th November 2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@Nov 13 2004, 03:10 PM

Any pics floating around the web of these prototypes? Would be interesting how different they are to the old ones!

-Adam.
i doubt it.
no one even really knew they were making one
we didnt find out until steve said they had scraped it.

Danamania
13th November 2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by adamjc@Nov 13 2004, 03:10 PM

-Adam.
nope, no pics

no REAL ones anyway

adamjc
13th November 2004, 03:40 PM
Looks good dana...what colour is the stylus?

Ozi
13th November 2004, 03:40 PM
I am SO tempted to start a poll asking if "dana needs to get out more." :lol:

mjankor
13th November 2004, 05:05 PM
I reckon the Newtons handwriting recognition was way ahead of it's time. Does anyone know if Pocket PC's and Palms can read words yet or do they still do just letters.

Currawong
13th November 2004, 06:41 PM
Apple were losing incredible amounts of money on the Newton that it had to go, which is a huge shame.

cmetom
13th November 2004, 07:49 PM
the handwriting recognition on this model (2100) is best described as kick-ass. i've wowed myself (almost to tears!! haha.. but i'm a bit emo at the moment so we won't go there), my mother and my godbrother.

i hear that the bad recognition was in the earlier series' and was partially due to the smaller memory capacity giving a smaller dictionary.

mine struggles with non-dictionary words. i have an app which lets me teach it but i'm yet to play with it.

my other complaint is the complication of setting up email, which i'm still struggling with, and the internet is rather slow and pictureless with the "NewtScape" browser. there is a faster text-only one, tho newtscape doesn't seem to load pics either. perhaps i need a jpg package for it or something.

am currently working on getting japanese input up and running.. i'm going on a uni class trip soon and it will be me, my iPod and my Newton... let's hope old newt can get me thru it! ^_^

Phillip
13th November 2004, 08:01 PM
Just like the Cube and the QuickTake, and QuickCam, the Newton was ahead of its time and thats one of the reasons why they failed. iPod wasn't ahead of its time so I guess its a big success.

Thats how I see it anyway.

I have been doing some searches on ebay lately for the Newtons. Does anyone recommend getting an earlier model or are they just crap?

josh64
13th November 2004, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by cmetom@Nov 13 2004, 07:49 PM
the handwriting recognition on this model (2100) is best described as kick-ass. i've wowed myself (almost to tears!! haha.. but i'm a bit emo at the moment so we won't go there), my mother and my godbrother.

i hear that the bad recognition was in the earlier series' and was partially due to the smaller memory capacity giving a smaller dictionary.

mine struggles with non-dictionary words. i have an app which lets me teach it but i'm yet to play with it.

my other complaint is the complication of setting up email, which i'm still struggling with, and the internet is rather slow and pictureless with the "NewtScape" browser. there is a faster text-only one, tho newtscape doesn't seem to load pics either. perhaps i need a jpg package for it or something.

am currently working on getting japanese input up and running.. i'm going on a uni class trip soon and it will be me, my iPod and my Newton... let's hope old newt can get me thru it! ^_^
I found email rather easy to get set up on mine (IMAP on an MP2000). I installed NIE 2.0 and the Lucent WaveLAN packages, and I use Mail V. Mail V is great, it just extends the built in mail functionality that the NOS comes with.

The only problem I have with it is some messages won't display, it says something about it doesn't have the correct stationary which I'm guessing has something to do with rich text emails and their fonts, but I don't use the email enough to be worried about it.

I haven't tried newtscape myself, but for the quick text-only experience :D you could try the Courier web browser.

I was almost TOO lazy to do this but I've pulled together some links for you:
Mail V (http://www.newtonmail.dsl.pipex.com/mailVds.html)
Courier browser (http://www.40hz.org/Courier/)
Escale Desktop connection library (http://www.kallisys.com/newton/dcl/en) allows use of Mac OS X to install packages over a TCP/IP connection.

:D

cmetom
13th November 2004, 10:32 PM
thanks muchly!

yes, courier is the other browser i have and yeah - lightning fast with text.
escale i found kept crashing on me, but i got "delivery" working nicely over appletalk to it.

it's a riot - compaq pcmcia wl110 wireless from the newton to the basestation to my ibook's airport hehe.

i use pop mail not imap so yeah, i can't use mail v even tho i hear good things.

Exocet
13th November 2004, 11:38 PM
Eat up Martha...

zefi
14th November 2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Exocet@Nov 13 2004, 11:38 PM
Eat up Martha...
Hehe.

Well, you know something is a cultural icon when it gets parodied on the Simpsons!

Ah, the newton makes me melancholy. I love it because it represented the essence of Apple, simple technology, pushing boundaries. But then I am a little nonchalant about it being so ahead of its time that it was misunderstood.

Apple doesn't get the credit it deserves. I sometimes want to remind those mac-bashing windows users just where there mouse came from.

josh64
14th November 2004, 02:39 AM
I was under the impression that Mail V did both IMAP and POP3 email. Well at least it asked me what time my email server was.

Escale kept crashing on me too, so in a way I'm glad i'm not the only one experiencing the problems :)

titan44
14th November 2004, 08:33 AM
Keep the report comming cmetom, I've often thought about getting one of these to have a play with, how does it connect wirelessly?, what do you intend to use it for?, Does it have enough grunt to play a mp3?

decryption
14th November 2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by zefi@Nov 14 2004, 12:29 AM
Apple doesn't get the credit it deserves. I sometimes want to remind those mac-bashing windows users just where there mouse came from.
Xerox ;)

Danamania
14th November 2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by decryption@Nov 14 2004, 09:08 AM
Xerox ;)
And Doug Engelbart before that.

Everything good has been reinvented a few times :D.

zefi
14th November 2004, 10:10 AM
Ah yes, I forgot about that! :)

josh64
14th November 2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by titan44@Nov 14 2004, 08:33 AM
Keep the report comming cmetom, I've often thought about getting one of these to have a play with, how does it connect wirelessly?, what do you intend to use it for?, Does it have enough grunt to play a mp3?
The Newton MP2x00 has 2 PCMCIA slots, which take standard laptop 802.11b wireless cards. It works rather strange however, as it only connects when it is transmitting or receiving data, then it disconnects straight away, unlike a laptop.

It has a 162MHz ARM CPU which is plenty to play MP3's. You can get a compact flash card and use the (50 EURO !!!!) driver and load MP3's on it. I'm not sure of any other MP3 players, but the one at http://www.40hz.org has support for 128Kb/s MP3's.