PDA

View Full Version : Sell me on Leopard (for G4) (then sell me Leopard)

cosmichobo
28th August 2009, 09:31 PM
G'day,

I've been running OS 10.4.9 on my eMac 1.25GHz USB2.0 1GB 160GB for a good many years now... I've not moved up to Leopard because I've assumed it would slow my system down.

With Snow basically here... I've again been wondering about this upgrade. Some googling has suggested that I am right... though maybe not as "bad" as I had thought. One reviewer said as long as your G4 has a good graphics card, then it should run Leopard fine, with only maybe a 5% degredation in benchmark testing.

So - should I upgrade? And... with Snow here... how much should I be able to get Leopard for?

cheers

cosmic

cjuiz
28th August 2009, 09:34 PM
G'day,

I've been running OS 10.4.9 on my eMac 1.25GHz USB2.0 1GB 160GB for a good many years now... I've not moved up to Leopard because I've assumed it would slow my system down.

With Snow basically here... I've again been wondering about this upgrade. Some googling has suggested that I am right... though maybe not as "bad" as I had thought. One reviewer said as long as your G4 has a good graphics card, then it should run Leopard fine, with only maybe a 5% degredation in benchmark testing.

So - should I upgrade? And... with Snow here... how much should I be able to get Leopard for?

cheers

cosmic

PPC isn't supported with Snow Leopard. It won't run on your machine. Leopard 10.5 will run fine. I've installed Leopard on worse systems, no problems at all.

glitch
28th August 2009, 09:37 PM
PPC isn't supported with Snow Leopard. It won't run on your machine.

He doesnt want to run Snow Leopard, if you read what he posted, and what you quoted, the question is about Leopard on his machine.

Cosmichobo, it runs just fine on my old Powerbook, its a bit better spec than your machine for sure but I reckon its worth a try.

Oh, and Leo is still a lot more expensive than SnowLeo! PM me your address & I will send you a Leo disc.

avolve
28th August 2009, 10:29 PM
I had Leopard running on my 1.42Ghz mini (1GB RAM) start-up was quite slow, though it ran OK. That said, I have just gone back to 10.4.

I run Leopard on all my other machines, and having Remote Desktop negates the need for Leopard for Screen Sharing (that and Front Row were my main reasons for 10.5 I am now using XBMC). It has not been my main machine for a couple years and is now a HTPC/TM host.

My mini does have the stock 2.5" drive still in it (impact on speed?)

tintinaujapon
28th August 2009, 11:19 PM
I just never saw a reason to upgrade to Leopard on my PowerBook 15". There seemed to be few functional benefits over Tiger and too much eye candy at the expense of the strict user interface guidelines that have made Apple OS so great.

Just one example, the dock. In Tiger it's easy to see which of the apps in your dock is open by the solid black triangle. In Leopard, unless you fix it with Candy or whatever the app is called, it's an almost translucent blue ball beneath the icon. I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me here on the forums.

I reckon you can do without Leopard, Cosmic. Wait until you get your next machine with Snow Leopard preloaded. They've done the right thing with it - toned down the eye candy and suped up the engine.

~Coxy
31st August 2009, 10:52 AM
Another vote for staying with Tiger unless you really really want/need Time Machine. Leopard on a G4 was terrible in my experience.

kaisersozay
31st August 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm with tintinaujapon. I am very happy with 10.4.9 on my iMac 2.1 ghz and run 10.5.8 Leopard on my Mac Mini and see no reason to tinker with changing up on the iMac which is my main machine.

avolve
31st August 2009, 05:32 PM
I use Leopard on my 1.5Ghz Powerbook (now with 2G of RAM). Now that i have ARD I may consider going back to Tiger *just need to work out the main reasons I went to Leopard (aside form screen sharing built in) to see if there is anything I will miss/need...