PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme prices reduced

Atomic
30th June 2004, 03:00 AM
Apple have just updated their Australian prices on both AE Base Stations and AE Airport Card.

Pricing structure is as follows:

- AEBS without modem was $399 now $329

- AEBS with modem and external antenna was $499 now $429

- AE Airport Card was $199 now $129

[/EDIT] - Added text below

Apple US pricing has also dropped but the difference in price is too out of whack for me to understand.

E.G

- AEBS without modem - Has disappeared from the US Store

- AE Airport Card is US$79 - Converted to AU$ = $114.22. Add duties and taxes of approx. $15 and it works out on par with US pricing.

- AEBS with modem and external antenna is now US$199 - Converted to AU$ = $289 (approx). Factor in duties and taxes (i'll be generous and add AU$40) = AU$329. How does Apple justify the $100 extra I am paying for the same product than our American friends?

I understand US pricing does not include sales tax as it is individual to each state but even if we add a healthy 15% it brings the total to US$227.50 or AU$329 (approx) which is similar to my conversion above that includes AU taxes etc.

No matter which way you look at it, $100 just went south... :unsure:

OziMac
30th June 2004, 09:46 AM
Haha, that is insane. Cheaper than old Airport Cards used to be yesterday - stupidly I'd been contemplating buying one at the Myer 10% off sale - thank god I didn't!

Interestingly, only the Airport Extreme Card and Base Station with Modem are available. No Base Station without Modem and the old Airport Card have vanished.

Maybe something good did come out of June 28 :).
Awesome price drop.

Phillip
30th June 2004, 01:42 PM
all the airport base stations except the express are still compared to other products rip offs. i think i am gonna get a express... :P

sillydog701
30th June 2004, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Atomic@Jun 30 2004, 03:00 AM
- AE Airport Card was $199 now $129
I paid $199 for AirPort Extreme card. I am NOT happy.

OziMac
30th June 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by sillydog701+Jun 30 2004, 03:49 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sillydog701 @ Jun 30 2004, 03:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Atomic@Jun 30 2004, 03:00 AM
- AE Airport Card was &#036;199 now &#036;129
I paid &#036;199 for AirPort Extreme card. I am NOT happy. [/b][/quote]

Where did you buy it? Can you return it / get a refund?

sillydog701
30th June 2004, 07:07 PM
Bought from David Jones, and been more than 2 weeks. Too late for the refund.

DJY
30th June 2004, 07:08 PM
eight days and counting since I switched...
and my 17" Powerbook is just ITCHING to go wireless....
but I think I&#39;ll wait out for the Airport Express due at the end of July...

pipsqeek
30th June 2004, 07:56 PM
I just got my Airport card for the iBook G3, and paid more then that.

I always get stiffed by Apple. Why do I stick around? Why oh Why?

Steve

Squozen
1st July 2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by DJY@Jun 30 2004, 07:08 PM
but I think I&#39;ll wait out for the Airport Express due at the end of July...
End of July? Nope. My Airport Express order says it&#39;s going to ship on or before the 15th of July.

Let&#39;s hope it&#39;s accurate.

Gothikon
1st July 2004, 01:15 PM
You can&#39;t please some people&#33;

Apples products are too expensive.

Damn you Apple how dare you drop the price on product X after I bought it&#33;

If you think this is bad try the PC world, but an 800 AUD graphics cards, a couple of months later and you can pick it up for 350, wait any longer and it&#39;s been discontinued.

You just have to buy when you need to. You can&#39;t put things off for ever as price drops are inevitable, you have to buy it when you need it.

OziMac
1st July 2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Jul 1 2004, 01:15 PM
You can&#39;t please some people&#33;

Apples products are too expensive.

Damn you Apple how dare you drop the price on product X after I bought it&#33;

Come on Gothikon, give them a break B).

It happens to us all at some point, and I&#39;m sure were we in their position we&#39;d be equally cheesed off. If you can&#39;t get your money back for such a huge price drop, at least you can let the world know how angry you are :)

DJY
1st July 2004, 08:26 PM
Is there any benefit ordering a Airport Express on line vs grabbing on from my local Mac1 shop?

I&#39;m hoping they let me use EDUC discount - even though i think you are only allowed one hardware purchase a yr? or is hat one Mac a year - so I&#39;m safe?&#33;

Bring on the 15th by the sound of it&#33;&#33;&#33;

OziMac
1st July 2004, 08:41 PM
No, I believe the relevant term is:

"You can purchase one (1) desktop and/or one (1) notebook per academic year."

You can buy anything else ad nauseum I&#39;d assume. Some people need 50 iPods ;)

Funny though, because until this year even that limitation wasn&#39;t there I think. They changed the terms on 14 April, I&#39;m guessing in preparation for the switch to the 1 year warranty. Funny, now the EDU regime is identical to the US - they got rid of our two huge advantages, unlimited purchases and 3 year warranties.

I think the only benefit between getting the Express online or at your local store is that you go home with one on the spot (depending, of course, on when they come into stock at that store) and with the other you have to wait, but you&#39;ll probably get it sooner than it arrives in the stores.

DJY
1st July 2004, 08:56 PM
ah thanks for that&#33;
One of the reasons I walked out of the shop with my new 17" Powerbook last week was the ending of the 3 Yr warranty on 28 June&#33;

WOOHOO
Means I&#39;ll keep my eye out on the forums - and aim to head into the shop as soon as I hear they are available&#33;

Am typing this from my couch - but have the dreaded cable - stretching back to my modem / router...

can&#39;t wait to be wireless - with iTunes in my home theatre system&#33;
Two weeks then and counting...

Zaq
21st July 2004, 12:52 AM
Why we are on the topic of Airport stations...how much better are these over non Apple ones.

Am about to order my first Mac..a powerbook. I have an existing network 2 PC&#39;s + linux. Unfortunantly my connect to the net is via a satellite as was the only broadband option in my area. Which means I have to rely on a WinXP box to connect to the net as a gateway.

3 questions I guess.

Apple products are quite expensive compared to other wireless hubs, are they worth it. I&#39;d hate to have to reset a hub each time to my powerbook establishes a new connection...which I heard some bads hubs need to do often.

If I only need to have a wireless access point...I&#39;m guessing the Airport Express is all i&#39;d need unless there are advantages the extreme have that i haven&#39;t considered.

Will I have many probs getting the powerbook to access the net via my WinXP machine?

cheers Zaq

Ozi
21st July 2004, 01:06 AM
our home network is settup with a NON apple basestation, and Airport or Airport extremes in 3 different apple laptops" an old clamshell iBook, a TiBook, and my pBook. This non-apple basestation works fine, giving us all great reception no matter where in the house we are. So no, you dont need an Apple wireless hub for your pBook to work on WiFi, and in fact i recommend that in your case you choose a NON apple wireless hub, as your WinXP box will have no problems talking to it. :)