PDA

View Full Version : Huawei MobileConnect / 3G Dongle / Mobile Broadband

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 09:06 AM
My only way ATM to connect to the Internet, anyone in the same spot and got it working after the upgrade ?

The_Hawk
28th August 2009, 09:43 AM
I was having issues with mds and mdworker under leopard with my Three Mobile 3G dongle so was just using the network connection shown in iStat Pro to hit connect (rather than the Three Software).

Now that's not working... and the Three software is crashing...

Will investigate more since I sort of need that...

Exocet
28th August 2009, 10:10 AM
I was having issues with mds and mdworker under leopard with my Three Mobile 3G dongle so was just using the network connection shown in iStat Pro to hit connect (rather than the Three Software).

Now that's not working... and the Three software is crashing...

Will investigate more since I sort of need that...

We use several of these at work and Snow Leopard hasn't arrived for us yet. Was it working OK for you on Leopard?

The_Hawk
28th August 2009, 10:42 AM
Worked fine under Leopard, but like I said the Three software made mds and/or mdworker run harder (which killed the battery quicker). Connecting through the netwok preferences (or adding the icon to the taskbar or using iStat) connected and solved the mds issues...

Now, the modem still shows up, you can press connect, but then it just disconnects straight away (never actually connected). If you try and run the 3 MobileBroadband application it "quits unexpectedly".

Throwing the 3 SIM into my iPhone and it's tethered nicely and working, but since I sort of need my phone too, this is only a stop gap solution and I need to get the USB modem working.

The modem in question is a Huawei E160G USB model which I bought from 3. Firmware has been updated to what I believe is the latest version, not that I can look that up since I can't run their software...

Will be hunting around for more info.

edit: from the 3 Mobile website:
Three - Mobile Broadband - Technical Support - Software Updates (http://3shopdirect.com.au/mobilephonedeals/e160g/Default.aspx)

Firmware: 11.604.21.00.156
Connection Manager Windows: 11.002.03.14.100
Connection Manager MAC: 11.110.02.10.100

NORMANDY
28th August 2009, 10:49 AM
if your dongle is mission critical to your daily ops.. THEN DONT UPGRADE.... there are a fair few things that dont work under snow leopard, see the below link Snow Leopard Compatibility: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Compatibility List (http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/)

if you are unsure, then dont upgrade! Of course you should backup everything to a bootable backup drive (NOT TIME MACHINE) with super duper or something else first, then upgrade, see if all you stuff works.. if you find something doesn't that you cant live without.. then clone your drive back from your backup.. and wait till there are updates to will make it work with snow leopard.

I know my install wont be simple, as I must have all the export features of flip for mac working, so I will have to install Quicktime 7 pro after the install... as quicktime x makes all the export features crap.... and I will also have to remove menu meters.. as they dont work.. and neither does growl... and I have to make sure I install Rosetta as well, as a few apps I use are ONLY PPC.... and Rosetta is not part of the install.. and connect 360 may or may not work after asking the developers, who do not know either... that I cant live without... so if it doesnt work.. back to Leopard till they fix it..... HOW DO I know this when I have not even got Snow Leopard yet? Researching... I suggested EVERYONE else do the same.

So make sure you know what will or wont work, do your research before you install... and if you are still unsure.. wait.. and ask on forums... before committing to an install that could waste you hours of time.. and possibly lead to Frustrating posts on the internet, as you were too eager to install and do no research before hand....be informed not alarmed :D

babypoppop
28th August 2009, 11:04 AM
For 3, i'm not relying on the connection manager.

plug in your usb modem, first (essential step).

just hit system preference>network

hit +

from the dropdown, select HUAWEI mobile.

enter *99# in the telephone number field.

leave others blank.

hit advanced...

Vendor: Generic
Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)
APN: 3 services (for prepaid) or 3netaccess (for postpaid)

Hit OK

Check Show Modem on Menu Bar (optional) if you wish to have a mini icon on the menu bar to connect and disconnect.

The_Hawk
28th August 2009, 11:14 AM
Setting up the dial up connection manually is required since the 3 software just crashes instantly... BUT, setting up manually still didn't work, you need to remove the 'three software' along with a couple of files then you need to manually get into the package contents of the included Three software to dig out the driver.

After doing this you can manually enter all the settings to get the modem back up and running. YAY!

Full instructions on how to go through the process will be put up shortly :)

Exocet
28th August 2009, 11:48 AM
Snow Leopard arrived has arrived! We managed to get it working in our office using similar steps to what The_Hawk just described. The 3 mobile modem acts as a kind of virtual CD, when you plug it in it mounts a volume on the desktop with a 3 logo. When you double click the icon it seems to either run the program or install it if you haven't already done that.

Now in SL whenever I double-click on that (installed or not) the damn thing crashes. The dialup connection I was using before was also broken. I've fixed it by doing the following steps.

Delete these files:
/Applications/3 Mobile Broadband (entire folder)
/System/Library/Extensions/HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext
/Library/Modem Scripts/HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem
Reboot your Mac.

Depending on your modem, the location of the driver package may be slightly different. On our modems it was here:
Plug your modem in, open the virtual CD. Right-click on the 3 logo and click "Show Package Contents". Navigate to:
/Contents/Resources/MobilePartner.mpkg
Right-click and click "show package contents" on this .mpkg. Then, navigate to:
/Contents/Packages/MobileConnectDriver.pkg
Run this package.

On others,

Plug your modem in, open the virtual CD. Right-click on the 3 logo and click "Show Package Contents". Navigate to:
/Contents/Resources/Mobile_Connect_Drv_App.pkg
Run this package.

Your mileage may vary.

This will install the drivers only, not the connection manager. You'll have to configure the modem properties yourself. Reboot your Mac, and plug the modem in. Snow Leopard SHOULD detect a new network port (usually "Huawei Mobile X"). Click the configure button if this appears.

If not go into System Preferences -> Network. Remove any existing huawei network ports by clicking minus down the bottom. Then, click plus to add a new one. Select the second huawei mobile item from the "interface" drop-down list. You can name the port whatever you want.

Configure the device as follows, the password I've used is "null":
http://www.grabup.com/uploads/f7eab934455f1f290ef5019b5b312fbd.png

Then, click advanced and configure the advanced part here:
http://www.grabup.com/uploads/83330d68f8a4e4d0be0c57dc5435ccfa.png
If you're postpaid, use 3netaccess, if you're prepaid use 3services.

Click ok, click apply. Click connect - you should be good to go!

The_Hawk
28th August 2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the write up! Nice and detailed so I can send it so all 3 Mobile people I know :)

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 02:50 PM
Ya, but I've got an Optus one. Holds breath, see how we go..

Geoff3DMN
28th August 2009, 02:53 PM

I'm leaving updating my unibody until I can verify that the Optus 3G modem works (and updating the desktops in the meantime).

*waits for report with interest*

The_Hawk
28th August 2009, 02:56 PM
I'd suggest that Optus users head into the network preference and write down those settings for reference, then after the install of Snow Leopard they can follow the same steps as us Three users.

nando
28th August 2009, 02:58 PM

hit +

leave others blank.

hit advanced...

Hit OK

Check Show Modem on Menu Bar (optional) if you wish to have a mini icon on the menu bar to connect and disconnect.
yeap,....mine didnt work... :(
and yeap did the above mention method and it works!
hopefully 3 sends something or apple fixes this issue...!

The_Hawk
28th August 2009, 03:18 PM
yeap,....mine didnt work... :(
and yeap did the above mention method and it works!
hopefully 3 sends something or apple fixes this issue...!

I prefer to not use the Three software anyway, why clutter up the system with extra software when it really doens't add any value.

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 03:28 PM
Cool cool. Should be online and trying this for Optus around 7pm, all my other apps have been confirmed to run. It's go-time.

Exocet
28th August 2009, 03:33 PM

I'd say Optus would be pretty similar - its still a Huawei modem. The only difference would be that your APN would be an Optus one rather than a 3 one.

nando
28th August 2009, 03:41 PM
I prefer to not use the Three software anyway, why clutter up the system with extra software when it really doens't add any value.

pretty sure lots of folks who dont know bout this forum and purchased Snow Leopard will be pretty upset with their dongles or Apple..?!?!
am guessing the dongles are using some sort of legacy non coco code. maybe PPC libraries?!
hopefully an upgrade by the dongles will work..or a replacement.

Cybix
28th August 2009, 03:56 PM
+1 for not using any connection manager/watcher software, I use my 3G dongle raw-style right out of network prefs / menu bar.

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 04:09 PM
This has happened with previous updates too, SL isn't the first one to wipe/screw with USB 3g style dongles I've had.

Fingers crossed I can get the bugger to click over.

Jordan_barrington
28th August 2009, 07:20 PM
AHHH someone people help i'm on Virgin Mobile Broadband everytime i go to connect the program just stops responding it was working before snow leopard! :(

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 07:26 PM
do you use a virgin program to connect, or do it through the settings panel ?

The_Hawk
28th August 2009, 07:41 PM
AHHH someone people help i'm on Virgin Mobile Broadband everytime i go to connect the program just stops responding it was working before snow leopard! :(

As suggested above, head into the network preferences and write down the settings (basically just look at the ones the walk through tells you to enter and make a note of where your's differ), then delete the interface, the connection software and the referenced files.

Then re-install the driver manually, cross fingers and hope for the best :D

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 07:54 PM
havent tryed it yet, but the setting are still in the network panel.

installing the printer drivers and ipod support ( dunno, sounded good ) restart and see where were at with the 3g dongle

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 08:26 PM
yep, OPTUS WORKS.

just remove all the little phone icons from network prefs.

then add a new, and interface HUAWEi

then in network, put the dropdown to whatever you named the connection and just put *99# and click the advanced tab.

change vendor to other,
model to HUAWEI
dns leave
wns leave
proxies leave
and in ppp i unticked, disconnect after 10 mins idoland left everything else the way it was.

saved, went back to network and clicked connect. away it went, pretty quick and now im online.

skyther
29th August 2009, 11:00 AM
Upgraded to SL last night and surprise surprise, my E272 doesn't work. I'm with Virgin as well, the Apple dialer won't work as Virgin uses PAP authentication with an actual username/password (which is the same as the APN and hence serves absolutely no purpose) just so they can make our lives that teeny little bit harder.

So, we're pretty much SOL until a new version of mobile connect gets released.

Exocet
29th August 2009, 11:26 AM
skyhter, read the thread. 10.5 (and .6) have generic drivers for 3G connections. Follow my instructions and you should be able to connect.

skyther
29th August 2009, 11:40 AM
I have, and I did. The modem dials but gets stuck at "Authenticating...", and that's due to the PAP issue I brought up.

skyther
29th August 2009, 12:22 PM
Found a newer version of mobile connect (v11.311.04.01.00) that works!

The mobile connect app is only a front end to the OS X network preferences tool. Once you set up your profile and connect the first time using mobile connect, you can subsequently connect using the OS X dialer via the menubar icon or iStat as it utilizes the same scripts.

Just delete your existing mobile connect/vmc/mobile partner and run the new app.

Link: MobileConnect (http://rapidshare.com/files/272826314/MobileConnect.app.zip.html)

MichaelH
29th August 2009, 01:33 PM
I'm currently using a Huawei E169 (resold Optus) USB modem on an original G4 mini. The plan is/was to get a new current model mini with SL already installed. But now I'm not so sure! Wireless is the only way I can connect to the net apart from dial up.

I seem to have the latest Mobile Connect - Dashboard 11.201.01.00.03 / Software version 11.314.17.00.00

Until I hear of somebody with that exact configuration connecting easily to SL, I shall keep putting off getting SL.

And then - what happens if the issue is fixed by Apple in a future release eg 10.6.1? How will those affected be able to update if they only have 10.6.0 and can't connect to the net to upgrade it??

Exocet
29th August 2009, 02:43 PM
You can manually configure the settings using the dialup connection method previously mentioned in this thread.

Perana
29th August 2009, 04:11 PM
Got mine working using Exocet's instructions though for my E169 on Internode it was slightly different, in only in this section:

/Contents/Resources/Mobile_Connect_Drv_App.pkg
Run this package.

I also left username and password blank.

Exocet
29th August 2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks, perana - I've edited my original post with that information.

skyther
29th August 2009, 08:24 PM
Maybe I missed it; I can't seem to find the option in Network Preferences to select CHAP or PAP authentication?

Also, running /Contents/Resources/Mobile_Connect_Drv_App.pkg will install the Mobile Connect app as well as the drivers. Of course, you can always opt not to use the app. Where the drivers are found will depend on the version of dashboard preinstalled on your dongle.

Perana
29th August 2009, 08:54 PM
Strange, with mine it didn't install the Mobile Connect app, seems like things really depend on the model, even the carrier purchased through

skyther
30th August 2009, 03:11 AM
Hmm.. doesn't seem to be much consistency across Huawei firmwares. I tried it on an E272 /w generic firmware and a E169 with Optus firmware and both times after installing the package I found Mobile connect in the apps directory again.

Devil rolla
30th August 2009, 07:32 AM
I've found with not installing the mobile connect, when the connection drops I get a constant "disconnecting" scrolling, the modem drops out but it just keeps scrolling. I have to turn off menu bar preview and then it connects again. Other than that it's been working pretty well.

brundlemere
30th August 2009, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

I've tried configuring manually as described but am having a problem. Running the installer directly from within the package contents seems to drop the Mobile Connect software back into my applications folder and the appropriate driver under system/library/extensions. But I don't have any Huawei devices listed under network services. Have tried uninstalling/reinstalling twice with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Exocet
30th August 2009, 11:53 AM
You may need to add the port manually, click the plus symbol and choose "Huawei" from the interface drop-down list.

xerodude
30th August 2009, 12:17 PM
Hi all,

I've tried configuring manually as described but am having a problem. Running the installer directly from within the package contents seems to drop the Mobile Connect software back into my applications folder and the appropriate driver under system/library/extensions. But I don't have any Huawei devices listed under network services. Have tried uninstalling/reinstalling twice with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Try looking under "Other" in Vendor.

Devil rolla
30th August 2009, 01:37 PM
anyone had any experience with telstra bigpond usb sticks ?
father-in-laws MBP runs ones, and i want to update his machine to SL, but dont want to loose the connection for him. It uses the telstra wireless broadband 2.0 software. Anyone ?

scar68
30th August 2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you Exo for the screen shots and to everyone else for the tips.

I have the Huawei USB dongle on vodafone. Has anyone worked out the settings for this type/network yet? Would be very grateful for them.

Will be needing to use it for work tomorrow.

Thank you.

:p

Edit - Vodafone connect app installs and works fine under Snow Leopard. Crisis over :)

ajt63
30th August 2009, 02:03 PM

I have a Telstra Pre-paid USB Dongle (ZTE M626 from memory) and it connects with no issues

lelkibeteg
30th August 2009, 03:46 PM
You may need to add the port manually, click the plus symbol and choose "Huawei" from the interface drop-down list.

I have the Huawei e169 with Virgin also.

I followed your instructions twice - deleted everything listed then ran the package contents... but after I re-booted, deleted the existing Huawei settings and tried to add it again, my interface drop down box does not list anything relevant. It only shows:

AirPort
FireWire
Ethernet Adaptor (en3)
Ethernet Adaptor (en2)
Ethernet
Bluetooth DUN

VPN
PPPoE
6 to 4

How do I get it back?

shorts
30th August 2009, 04:16 PM

I followed your instructions twice - deleted everything listed then ran the package contents... but after I re-booted, deleted the existing Huawei settings and tried to add it again, my interface drop down box does not list anything relevant. It only shows:

AirPort
FireWire
Ethernet Adaptor (en3)
Ethernet Adaptor (en2)
Ethernet
Bluetooth DUN

VPN
PPPoE
6 to 4

How do I get it back?

Maybe try creating a new Network Location?

Devil rolla
30th August 2009, 05:52 PM
I have a Telstra Pre-paid USB Dongle (ZTE M626 from memory) and it connects with no issues

hey ajt, is your bigpond software ( 2.11.9 ) it says it at the top of the screen ( software header ), are you running the 7.2mb stick ?

dotmike
30th August 2009, 06:09 PM
father-in-laws MBP runs ones, and i want to update his machine to SL, but dont want to loose the connection for him. It uses the telstra wireless broadband 2.0 software. Anyone ?

Telstra sold/sell quite a few different models of USB dongles.

The current ones may or may not work - there is a post above saying the ZTE M626 based one is okay.

However, the ones formerly made by Maxon, sold as the Next G Telstra Turbo Modem (orange USB dongle), BigPond BP3-USB (blue USB dongle), and BP3-EXT (large blue box with its own power supply), seem to be a no go for now.

The BigPond Connection Manager (aka BigPond Wireless Broadband) fails to detect the device, and no connection is possible.

I'm using version BigPond Connection Manager 2.13.15.

The first clue that something was going to go wrong was that the Snow Leopard installer itself detected that a kernel extension - OptionQC.kext - was not Snow Leopard compatible and moved it into an Incompatible Software folder. (This extension was formerly installed by BigPond Connection Manager.)

However, I don't actually think that kernel extension is required for the Maxon modems to work (I tried pulling it out under Leopard and the BigPond connection app still dialed up happily), so it may be a red herring, or a problem for a different model than the Maxon products.

It's possible something about USB detection has messed things up. I have a hazy memory that the Maxon / BigPond software is bad at finding USB devices (I think in the past it failed to find such a device if it was plugged into a USB hub).

Anyone who has a solution to getting the Maxon variety of Telstra / BigPond Next G dongles to work, please post!

Exocet
30th August 2009, 07:06 PM

AirPort
FireWire
Ethernet Adaptor (en3)
Ethernet Adaptor (en2)
Ethernet
Bluetooth DUN

VPN
PPPoE
6 to 4

How do I get it back?

If Huawei is not showing in the interface list, it implies that either the driver is missing or for some reason the Mac cannot detect the modem.

MarkGebbet
30th August 2009, 07:51 PM
Hi, I have been having similar problems.

I have managed to get further by using the drivers mentioned here

How-To: Connect HUAWEI E220/E270/E272/E169G/E160/E180 Modem with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - Tech Thought (http://blog.evandavey.com/2008/02/how-to-connect-huawei-e220-usb-modem.html)

However, everyone says the Virgin uses PAP for authentication (not CHAP) and none of their suggestions involving creating a ppp options files seems to work for me.

You are welcome to try them yourself...

Huawei E169 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Virgin - Wireless ISPs - Whirlpool Broadband Forums (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1270696&p=-1#bottom)

Mark

brundlemere
30th August 2009, 10:55 PM
If Huawei is not showing in the interface list, it implies that either the driver is missing or for some reason the Mac cannot detect the modem.

I'm still having this problem. The Huawei driver file has been dropped back into system/library/extensions and the storage part of the modem is being mounted and accessible within Finder. The modem also works on a Windows box so I know it's working.

I'm guessing its a problem with the driver, and have manually deleted/reinstalled several times. Is there anything else I need do for the driver to be correctly installed beyond the manual deletion and reinstall via selecting the right package from 'show package contents' on Mobile Connect on the USB drive?

Thanks!

Exocet
31st August 2009, 08:26 AM
Try also going into terminal when your modem is plugged in and typing this:
screen /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Modem

It will either say interface not found, or clear your screen of all text. If it clears your screen of all text, then your Mac can see the modem as a diagnostic port...just not as a networking port.

I've uploaded my huawei .kext - try unzipping this file, and dropping the .kext into extensions, restarting and tell me if you have any luck.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/696628/HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext.zip

blountation
31st August 2009, 09:46 PM
Hi there,
I'm having an issue with Virgin and the E169. I've deleted the software and entered the settings straight into the network preferences, but when i try to connect, it says that it has problems with the ppp settings?

bacco007
1st September 2009, 05:05 PM
i spoke to Virgin Mobile today and they have given me this link - http://download.virginbroadband.com.au/E169_Upgrade_B409.zip

You need Windows to upload the files though :( - Trying now

GAD
2nd September 2009, 05:21 AM
Snow Leopard arrived has arrived! We managed to get it working in our office using similar steps to what The_Hawk just described. The 3 mobile modem acts as a kind of virtual CD, when you plug it in it mounts a volume on the desktop with a 3 logo. When you double click the icon it seems to either run the program or install it if you haven't already done that.

Now in SL whenever I double-click on that (installed or not) the damn thing crashes. The dialup connection I was using before was also broken. I've fixed it by doing the following steps.

Delete these files:
/Applications/3 Mobile Broadband (entire folder)
/System/Library/Extensions/HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext
/Library/Modem Scripts/HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem
Reboot your Mac.

Depending on your modem, the location of the driver package may be slightly different. On our modems it was here:
/Contents/Resources/MobilePartner.mpkg
Right-click and click "show package contents" on this .mpkg. Then, navigate to:
/Contents/Packages/MobileConnectDriver.pkg
Run this package.

On others,

Your mileage may vary.

This will install the drivers only, not the connection manager. You'll have to configure the modem properties yourself. Reboot your Mac, and plug the modem in. Snow Leopard SHOULD detect a new network port (usually "Huawei Mobile X"). Click the configure button if this appears.

If not go into System Preferences -> Network. Remove any existing huawei network ports by clicking minus down the bottom. Then, click plus to add a new one. Select the second huawei mobile item from the "interface" drop-down list. You can name the port whatever you want.

Configure the device as follows, the password I've used is "null":
http://www.grabup.com/uploads/f7eab934455f1f290ef5019b5b312fbd.png

Then, click advanced and configure the advanced part here:
http://www.grabup.com/uploads/83330d68f8a4e4d0be0c57dc5435ccfa.png
If you're postpaid, use 3netaccess, if you're prepaid use 3services.

Click ok, click apply. Click connect - you should be good to go!

Hi,
I just tried the above method and get stuck when having to configure the connection manually as I cannot see a HUAWEI mobile interface in the interface drop down list. Any idea why that would be?
Thanks for your help.

GAD
2nd September 2009, 05:49 AM
I found the cause for why the HUAWEI mobile interface was not appearing in the interface drop down list or my modem not being recognised when I plugged it in after rebooting.
When I did the install initially, I did it while running in 64-bit mode. I re-did the install after rebooting into 32-bit mode and rebooted into 32-bit mode, plugged in the modem and it was recognised straight away.
Hope this helps.

sobie2000
2nd September 2009, 07:35 AM
Cheetahwatch works for me using the driver package from

How-To: Connect HUAWEI E220/E270/E272/E169G/E160/E180 Modem with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) - Tech Thought (http://blog.evandavey.com/2008/02/how-to-connect-huawei-e220-usb-modem.html)

on "3".

Edit: Im using the e220 usb dongle.

Edit: Cheetahwatch 1.3 doesnt work but 1.2.2 does. Go figure.

Exocet
2nd September 2009, 08:37 AM
I've done some more digging with members on this forum - it seems that if you have an older modem (E220, E169) the device was shipped with an older version of firmware (MobileConnect). These drivers don't seem to be compatible with Leopard _at all_.

However, if you install the newer firmware and drivers (MobilePartner) you can use it. I've uploaded the MobilePartner.mpkg from my 3 E180. Do as I said earlier to delete all the files, and then install this package instead. The modem should be detected as a network port:
http://tinyurl.com/mobilepartner

shades
2nd September 2009, 10:31 AM
I'm having an issue with Virgin and the E169.
snip
says that it has problems with the ppp settings?

I finally got E169 working on Virgin last night after stuffing around for about an hour. I have a pretty up-to-date firmware on my USB modem, so I downloaded the Huawei drivers, and installed it, then added the connection from Network Prefs.

The one thing I had to do was to create the /etc/ppp/options file with the following contents:

refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2

This obviously disables CHAP so that it uses PAP authentication, which is perfect for authenticating against the Virgin Broadband servers.

I'm not sure if it made any difference, but I also put VirginBB as the username and password in the Network Prefs.

Hope this helps for others trying to get on.

robc
3rd September 2009, 01:36 PM
Nice work with the article :D

Hadn't had a chance to sit down and go through the motions, so having it all in one place is really appreciated.

Will make sure I send this around to anyone who might be in a similar position…

burchill
3rd September 2009, 02:47 PM
I have a Huawei K3715 broadband modem with Vodafone, and it seems I am unaffected by the upgrade to Snow Leopard. Working the same. Guess I am just lucky?

Redman
3rd September 2009, 08:29 PM
If anyone is interested, the Telstra 3G "expresscard" otherwise known as the Sierra Wireless AirCard 880E requires version 2.0.6 of Sierra Watcher (http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/show_support_and_downloads.aspx?id=20,11,1,2) to work under SL.

tomo294
3rd September 2009, 10:15 PM
Hi I contacted 3 broadband mobile today and they now have a solution. They advised me to drag the the 3 folder from Applications to the Dock as Snow Leopard accesses from the Dock not Applications. Problem fixed, just like that!

aldebaran
3rd September 2009, 10:19 PM
Has anyone got this to work with the Huawei E1820 / E182e modem?

Fungus
4th September 2009, 12:36 AM
If anyone is interested, the Telstra 3G "expresscard" otherwise known as the Sierra Wireless AirCard 880E requires version 2.0.6 of Sierra Watcher (http://www.sierrawireless.com/support/show_support_and_downloads.aspx?id=20,11,1,2) to work under SL.

I am. Tks.

suffix
4th September 2009, 01:28 AM
I managed to get my Optus and 3 device working with or without the software. I managed to installed the software by opening the package contents. I can write something up if anyone would like to use the software.

Exocet
4th September 2009, 07:16 AM
I did a huge writeup on the front page, suffix - see here:
Thursday How-To: Huawei Mobile Broadband & Snow Leopard | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2009/09/03/thursday-how-to-huawei-mobile-broadband-snow-leopard/)

Taezar
4th September 2009, 03:45 PM
Wow Exocet (OK that just felt weird) let's try again
WOW K
That was a huge write up.
Thankyou so much for not only taking the time, but also breaking it down for non tech people such as myself.
I will buy you an iced water tonight!

T

brundlemere
5th September 2009, 09:03 AM
Hi,

Thanks to Exocet for posting the updated Mobile Partner package. On the Huawei 160E I was using I finally got it working in Snow Leopard after blowing away all previous traces, installing the new version posted here and then manually configuring.

Nice one!

Cybix
5th September 2009, 09:56 AM
Upgraded to SL last night and surprise surprise, my E272 doesn't work. I'm with Virgin as well, the Apple dialer won't work as Virgin uses PAP authentication with an actual username/password (which is the same as the APN and hence serves absolutely no purpose) just so they can make our lives that teeny little bit harder.

So, we're pretty much SOL until a new version of mobile connect gets released.

create a file /etc/ppp/options and put this in it:

refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2

(for VIRGIN). then you can just use the built in apple stuff to connect instead of any crappy connection software.

The_Atlantian
5th September 2009, 04:27 PM
I've got a Telstra USB 21 stick (Sierra Wireless USB 306) - has anyone had any luck getting this to work under SL. In Leopard it seems to use Ethernet rather than any other adapter?

The_Atlantian
5th September 2009, 09:33 PM
I did find this on AppleInsider | Apple Insider News and Analysis (http://www.AppleInsider.com) about SL support for Sierra Wireless 3G modems:

"According to information provided to The Boy Genius Report, Mac OS X 10.6.1 includes a number of minor compatibility, security and stability fixes. No timetable for release is available, though it's safe to assume it would likely be weeks rather than days. According to the tip, the current fixes, in documentation allegedly provided by Apple, include:

Compatibility with some Sierra Wireless 3G modems
An issue that might cause DVD playback to stop unexpectedly
Some printer compatibility drivers not appearing properly in the add printer browser
An issue that might make it difficult to remove an item from the Dock
Instances where automatic account setup in Mail might not work
an issue where pressing cmd-opt-t in Mail brings up the special characters menu instead of moving a message
Motion 4 becoming unresponsive

The build also updates Flash to version 10.0.32.18. build 10B503 and is a 71.5MB download."

amie17
7th September 2009, 11:46 AM
well i had trouble getting my voda stick to work out of the box. then voda gave me this solution. i suggest anyone on any other network can try it but you would obviously have to change the APN settings

Vendor: Nokia
Model: GPRS
APN: vfprepaymbb
CID: 1

Jumpmuz
7th September 2009, 12:23 PM
Where exactly is the ppp directory below

The one thing I had to do was to create the /etc/ppp/options file with the following contents:

refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2

Thanks Muz!

bushwhack
9th September 2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks MacTalk for the steps to follow to get Optus working again. My 78 year old dad is happy again with his new iMac!

eTeban
10th September 2009, 02:29 AM
Made it work with a e220.

Telcel-México settings:

number: *99#
username: webgprs
pass: webgprs
APN: internet.itelcel.com

Rake
10th September 2009, 10:31 PM
I finally got E169 working on Virgin last night after stuffing around for about an hour. I have a pretty up-to-date firmware on my USB modem, so I downloaded the Huawei drivers, and installed it, then added the connection from Network Prefs.

refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2This obviously disables CHAP so that it uses PAP authentication, which is perfect for authenticating against the Virgin Broadband servers.

I'm not sure if it made any difference, but I also put VirginBB as the username and password in the Network Prefs.

Thanks for the info, but this fix is not without flaw.

I was fixing up a computer for someone who had upgraded to Snow Leopard, and who is using a Virgin e169 modem/service. Did the drivers, regular setup, added the options file and was eventaully able to connect.

However, as you're forcing all but PAP Authentication on PPP interfaces, any VPN connections you may have set up will cease to work. If you connect the Virgin modem, then move/delete the options file, then re-attempt the VPN connection, it will go through OK. However this is a tedious process for anybody and far too much for someone who is not confident in Terminal / OS X in general.

One potential workaround that I suspect may work is using a more specific options file. /etc/ppp/options will affect all PPP connections. By adding to the filename, eg /etc/ppp/options.ttyxx you can theoretically enforce options only for a specific device/port. Ideally what I'm thinking is to find the specific reference for the Huawei modem so rules can be enforced on it without affecting any other connections (in this case, our VPNs). Is it possible what ifconfig shows is what we need (eg: eth0, eth1, ppp0, etc) or something else?

I guess the other way is if there is a way to encourage PAP authentication via the options file (to allow Virgin services to work) without refusing CHAP auth. Whether or not this can be done I have no idea.

What I don't know however is how to find the necessary name/reference for the modem to incorporate into the options filename.

Would there be anyone more versed in this able to shed some light?

Exocet
10th September 2009, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info, but this fix is not without flaw.

I was fixing up a computer for someone who had upgraded to Snow Leopard, and who is using a Virgin e169 modem/service. Did the drivers, regular setup, added the options file and was eventaully able to connect.

However, as you're forcing all but PAP Authentication on PPP interfaces, any VPN connections you may have set up will cease to work. If you connect the Virgin modem, then move/delete the options file, then re-attempt the VPN connection, it will go through OK. However this is a tedious process for anybody and far too much for someone who is not confident in Terminal / OS X in general.

One potential workaround that I suspect may work is using a more specific options file. /etc/ppp/options will affect all PPP connections. By adding to the filename, eg /etc/ppp/options.ttyxx you can theoretically enforce options only for a specific device/port. Ideally what I'm thinking is to find the specific reference for the Huawei modem so rules can be enforced on it without affecting any other connections (in this case, our VPNs). Is it possible what ifconfig shows is what we need (eg: eth0, eth1, ppp0, etc) or something else?

I guess the other way is if there is a way to encourage PAP authentication via the options file (to allow Virgin services to work) without refusing CHAP auth. Whether or not this can be done I have no idea.

What I don't know however is how to find the necessary name/reference for the modem to incorporate into the options filename.

Would there be anyone more versed in this able to shed some light?

I remember when we registered for My3 on an E220 the 3 tech support guys made me go into terminal to get the registration SMS. I had to type "screen /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Modem" to access the device and then put some AT-commands in.

Is this what you're after?

leviathan
11th September 2009, 01:46 PM
I am having no lucking trying to get the HUAWEI e220 to connect to Virgin running on 10.6.1.

Is anybody able to confirm all the settings like:
* is /etc/ppp/options confirmed
* What modem Vendor & Model To use
* Is the Account Name / Password required (is the phone number used for both?)
* Is the APN required?

Exocet
11th September 2009, 02:10 PM
Did you read the article?

Rake
11th September 2009, 09:08 PM
I remember when we registered for My3 on an E220 the 3 tech support guys made me go into terminal to get the registration SMS. I had to type "screen /dev/tty.HUAWEIMobile-Modem" to access the device and then put some AT-commands in.

Is this what you're after?

Hmm, it could be. I'll have to try it out when I've got a modem handy. Will report back, thanks :thumbup:

Rake
14th September 2009, 12:28 PM
Righto, found some info.

Mac OS X Manual Page For pppd(8) (http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/pppd.8.html)

OPTIONS FILES

Options can be taken from files as well as the command line. Pppd reads options from the files /etc/ppp/options, ~/.ppprc and /etc/ppp/options.ttyname (in that order) before processing the options on the command line. (In fact, the command-line options are scanned to find the terminal name before the options.ttyname file is read.) In forming the name of the options.ttyname file, the initial /dev/ is removed from the terminal name, and any remaining / characters are replaced with dots.
So it does appear that we need to look to /dev/ to get the right names.

The following items appear in /dev/ when the Huawei modem is plugged in. In this case I am using an e169

cu.HUAWEIMobile-Diag
cu.HUAWEIMobile-Modem
cu.HUAWEIMobile-Pcui
disk1
disk1s0
disk1s0s1
disk1s0s2
rdisk1
rdisk1s0
rdisk1s0s1
rdisk1s0s2
tty.HUAWEIMobile-Diag
tty.HUAWEIMobile-Modem
tty.HUAWEIMobile-PcuiObviously the disk stuff is just it's inbuilt memory .. But the tty.* stuff I've been looking for is there.

The e169 I have here is not a Virgin one (Or atleast I don't have a Virgin SIM) so I havn't yet tested this proper but it seems renaming options to options.tty.HUAWEIMobile-Modem may just do the trick.

Thanks for the bump in the right direction Exocet :thumbup::)

as an alternative to refuse-chap etc it may only be necessary to use 'require-pap'.

collojr11
14th September 2009, 01:52 PM

refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2

This obviously disables CHAP so that it uses PAP authentication, which is perfect for authenticating against the Virgin Broadband servers.

Hi im new on macs just got the new macbook pro 13" today, may be a stupid question but where do i write the code to stop the CHAP???

Rake
14th September 2009, 03:18 PM
Are you using a Virgin modem+sim?

You need to open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) to throw in some commands. Give this one a try, just paste it in:

echo "refuse-chap\nrefuse-mschap\nrefuse-mschap-v2" >> /etc/ppp/options

This will create a file "options" inside /etc/ppp. OS X will see this file and from it's contents determine to use PAP authentication.

Then just setup the connection via Network Prefs as normal. See the how-to for instructions...

collojr11
14th September 2009, 03:25 PM
thanks for that but it said 'permission denied' any reason for this??

Vaempyr
14th September 2009, 04:32 PM
Firstly, thanks to Exocet for the writeup.

Now ... the glitch. I've followed the steps, but whilst my E220 on 3 seems to connect fine, I get a "You are not connected to the Internet" error whenever I try to access a web page.

The icon in the menubar is blithely showing the connection time, but Safari refuses to accept it's connected.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Tinkered some more with settings, appears to be working now.

kontrabass
18th September 2009, 02:13 PM

refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2

I do not have /etc/ppp/options I know this 'structure' looks familiar under linux, however, my Imac doesn't have it - would you mind describing it a little further? Is the 'options-file' non-existent vefore you wrote it is it just a text file with 3 lines in it? Your help is much appreciated since Virgin has no solution. Jan

Sheldor
18th September 2009, 06:53 PM
hum is there a way to hide this ugly 3mobilebroadband on my desktop ?

DIESELBOY
18th September 2009, 08:35 PM
I am having no lucking trying to get the HUAWEI e220 to connect to Virgin running on 10.6.1.

Is anybody able to confirm all the settings like:
* is /etc/ppp/options confirmed
* What modem Vendor & Model To use
* Is the Account Name / Password required (is the phone number used for both?)
* Is the APN required?

Same here. I am trying to fix my HUAWEI e220 (Virgin Broadband) and still I got no luck. :-(

Can someone please help us to fix this? I already called Virgin Broadband and Apple Care Australia and they are hopeless. They cannot fix the issue.

Please help us...

DIESELBOY
18th September 2009, 08:38 PM

You need to open Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) to throw in some commands. Give this one a try, just paste it in:

This will create a file "options" inside /etc/ppp. OS X will see this file and from it's contents determine to use PAP authentication.

Then just setup the connection via Network Prefs as normal. See the how-to for instructions...

Thanks Rake for this. I appreciate yer help. :-)

But when I tried to do that on my mac, this is the error comes up:

'permission denied'

Any reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

Vaempyr
18th September 2009, 08:44 PM
hum is there a way to hide this ugly 3mobilebroadband on my desktop ?
Try connecting via the icon on the menubar (if it's not there, enable it via System Prefs --> Networks). If that works fine, then you should be able to move the stuff of your desktop without serious consequences.

Once you've moved the 3 stuff from the desktop and the connection still works, you can delete it if you want to.

Jazzimac
19th September 2009, 02:00 PM
I am unable to connect to the internet using my Virgin Huwaei E169 dongle. I have tried various processes and nothing has worked. My MacBook recognizes the dongle and the network is available in the system preferences>network pane, but I come unstuck as I’m unsure what actually gets keyed into the fields. Because I have tried so many things, and downloaded mobile connect, I’m probably at the point where I need to trash files again and start again.

I have done this

Delete the file HuaweiDataCardDriver.kext by dragging it to the Trash icon. Again, you may need
to enter your password.
Delete the file USBExpressCardCantWake.kext by dragging it to the Trash icon.
Restart your Mac using the Restart command in the Apple menu.

I downloaded mobile connect and installed the package. When I then go to System Preferences, I become unstuck.

I’m unsure what to type into the system preference panes. I am with Virgin, and think think this differs from other providers. Huwaei mobile is an option in the pane, so my MacBook sees the device.

Could a kind soul, please tell me what to type into the network preferences please. I’m unsure whether to go the *99# or use my actual phone number. I had also read that Virgin requirements ask for the phone number as my username, so again not sure about this. I’ve also read about

“The one thing I had to do was to create the /etc/ppp/options file with the following contents:

Code:
refuse-chap
refuse-mschap
refuse-mschap-v2
This obviously disables CHAP so that it uses PAP authentication, which is perfect for authenticating against the Virgin Broadband servers.”

I have no idea whether the above is meant to be typed into Terminal, or where it goes. And I have never used Terminal and am not sure how to actually activate the script. I would appreciate any help that you can offer. Step by step instructions are very much appreciated please.

kind regards
Jenny
MacBook 2.0 Ghz 4GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.6.1

Virgin Broadband
Huwaei E169

icudocrob
21st September 2009, 03:32 PM
I found the cause for why the HUAWEI mobile interface was not appearing in the interface drop down list or my modem not being recognised when I plugged it in after rebooting.
When I did the install initially, I did it while running in 64-bit mode. I re-did the install after rebooting into 32-bit mode and rebooted into 32-bit mode, plugged in the modem and it was recognised straight away.
Hope this helps.

(Huawei E220 on Optus)
Thank you for this tip. I tried installing, rebooting, installing, and then changed to 32-bit mode, and boom! Works perfectly.

Thank you to Exocet for the great how-to and video.

David73
22nd September 2009, 10:39 AM
Thanks for this post - I am using an Optus 'Soap on a Rope' dongle and downloading the '3' package resolved all my driver issues!!!

Cheers!!!

DIESELBOY
22nd September 2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks for this post - I am using an Optus 'Soap on a Rope' dongle and downloading the '3' package resolved all my driver issues!!!

Cheers!!!

Too bad mine is still not working... :o

I am using Virgin Broadband "Soap on a Rope" Huawei E220.

Please help!

hendryt
24th September 2009, 07:30 AM
Hi, I have aVodafone K3565 usb stick which is also a HUAWEI device.

My question is will this process work on mine?

Exocet
24th September 2009, 09:15 AM
This process will work on any Huawei modem.

DIESELBOY
24th September 2009, 07:43 PM
This process will work on any Huawei modem.

Hi Exocet. Thanks for the info. I just want to ask how come mine is still not working? I tried all of the suggestions made by our MacTalkers and still my modem doesn't work on my MacBook. I just don't know where is my error on the said walkthrough...

Exocet
24th September 2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Exocet. Thanks for the info. I just want to ask how come mine is still not working? I tried all of the suggestions made by our MacTalkers and still my modem doesn't work on my MacBook. I just don't know where is my error on the said walkthrough...

You're using Virgin Mobile - as I said in the news post, read the entire thread before asking questions, you'll probably find the answer:

DIESELBOY
24th September 2009, 08:19 PM
You're using Virgin Mobile - as I said in the news post, read the entire thread before asking questions, you'll probably find the answer:

Thanks Exocet for your help. Yup I did the same thing as what you've quoted. And this is the error I've got...

'permission denied'

Any reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

Exocet
24th September 2009, 08:24 PM
add "sudo " at the start of the command, and then enter your administrator password when prompted.

DIESELBOY
24th September 2009, 08:50 PM
OK Exocet. Let my try it again. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it :)

Jordan M
25th September 2009, 08:35 AM
The instructions from the frontpage article worked perfectly with my E220, using Virgin Broadband :)

DIESELBOY
25th September 2009, 03:02 PM
add "sudo " at the start of the command, and then enter your administrator password when prompted.

I tried again the steps (together with the guy from Apple Store Brisbane City) on how to solve the issue of Mobile Broadband using Huawei E220 (Virgin Broadband) and I believed I am on the right track. But I still got an error:

http://www.geocities.com/alohahunk/images/error.jpg

"Your connection failed because of an incorrect PPP setting. Verify your settings and try reconnecting."

Any reason for this?

Exocet
25th September 2009, 03:23 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20090925-guyyn4na987rsrypcficfcb7rx.png
You should define your APN in the advanced section to "VirginBroadBand" (I think?) And the model GPRS/GSM 3G...similar to this image:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3475/screenshot20090925at321.png
Try that and let me know how you go.

DIESELBOY
25th September 2009, 03:43 PM
http://img.skitch.com/20090925-guyyn4na987rsrypcficfcb7rx.png
You should define your APN in the advanced section to "VirginBroadBand" (I think?) And the model GPRS/GSM 3G...similar to this image:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3475/screenshot20090925at321.png
Try that and let me know how you go.

Thanks Exocet for that. Tried what you've suggested and I received the same error. :(

Sorry for being pain in the ass. :frustrating: Am really struggling here since I am really new on Mac.

Exocet
25th September 2009, 03:58 PM
Ok, I give up trying to configure Mac OS X - try running it through the 3 Mobile Broadband software but by creating a new profile. Open the application from Applications\3 Mobile Broadband and double-clicking the 3 icon in there. Wait for it to detect the modem, and then select Tools -> Options (from the top menu). Open up profile management and create the following profile and save:
http://img.skitch.com/20090925-pb7jj1ck977bh6ggfbip8ird6q.png

Then select the new Virgin profile from the drop-down list and try connecting.

DIESELBOY
26th September 2009, 03:53 AM
Hi Exocet

I opened the 3 Mobile Broadband application and tried the setup you've given...:

http://www.geocities.com/alohahunk/images/VBSetup.png

And I received the same error. :(

http://www.geocities.com/alohahunk/images/VBerror.png

I am just wonderin', why some of our MacTalkers here who's using Virgin Broadband already solved their issues about their Broadband and why I can't solve mine? I believed I followed every instructions given by our fellow MacTalkers and yet the issue is still there? :(

I apologise to you guys if I sounded so irritating or whatever, but it is because I am so irritated and frustrated with the issue when I upgrade my Mac OS X 10.5.6 to snow leopard 10.6.1. And at this moment, I am thinking of reasons why my mobile broadband is not working after the workaround. I think maybe because: (1) I need to upgrade the fimware of my Huawei E220 (2) Mac OS X SL is running 64bit so I need to downgrade it again to 32bit. I am not sure, these are just wild guess that I need to try if that's gonna work.

Exocet, thanks again for the help. I really really appreciate it. If I can't really solve this issue, maybe the best thing to do for me is to go back to Mac OS X 10.5.6.

Cheers.

tangent23
26th September 2009, 03:20 PM
a slightly tangential topic:

i just received and set up a huawei through adam internet.. imac and iphone connect no problems, but i'm trying to share internet to my powerbook.

now, from what i can tell this isn't possible from the huawei and i will need a dedicated broadband router that accepts mobile broadband sims.. is this correct or is there a way around this?

is it possible to use an airport extreme and plug the dongle into it to share internet for example?

edit>

ok i worked it out..
shared internet through ethernet to my airport express..

so now i access through my AX network rather than my imac airport..

:D

DIESELBOY
26th September 2009, 04:40 PM
I tried to remove my Mobile Broadband sim to the dongle and put it in my extra Wifi Modem here at home just to test and it works perfectly. :)

Now if i am gonna buy Aiport Express, do you think this is gonna work on mine as well?

yapper
28th September 2009, 09:04 PM
FIXED! FIXED! FIXED!

WORKING ON SNOW LEOPARD IN 64 BIT MODE.

SOLUTION FROM HUAWEI HERE.

Welcome to Huawei Download Center - Huawei Device Co., Ltd.. (http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=doListSoftware#)

The downloads do this :-

• Updated the firmware on my E169 USB Modem to 11.314.13.00.261

• Allows me to NOT USE their (java based, processor hungry) Mobile Partner.app after using it to set up and test.

NOTE : Some knowledge required to set it up for VirginBroadband.

Did I mention SLOW. When it says "Initializing, Please wait ... " thats exactly what you will have to do. Good luck.

P.S. I'll post a link to my "set up" procedure shortly for those who may need it.

Exocet
28th September 2009, 09:08 PM
Uh, with the setup on the front page (see here (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2009/09/03/thursday-how-to-huawei-mobile-broadband-snow-leopard/)) you don't need to use the MobilePartner software. The guide written allows you to use the built-in OS X dialup connection manager. All your solution does is link the file from Huawei rather than from my dropbox.

xerodude
28th September 2009, 09:36 PM
FIXED! FIXED! FIXED!

WORKING ON SNOW LEOPARD IN 64 BIT MODE.

SOLUTION FROM HUAWEI HERE.

Welcome to Huawei Download Center - Huawei Device Co., Ltd.. (http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/downloadCenter.do?method=doListSoftware#)

The downloads do this :-

• Updated the firmware on my E169 USB Modem to 11.314.13.00.261

• Allows me to NOT USE their (java based, processor hungry) Mobile Partner.app after using it to set up and test.

NOTE : Some knowledge required to set it up for VirginBroadband.

Did I mention SLOW. When it says "Initializing, Please wait ... " thats exactly what you will have to do. Good luck.

P.S. I'll post a link to my "set up" procedure shortly for those who may need it.

For whatever reason, I can't unzip these files.

MobileConnectDriver(4.15.00.00).zip
-- becomes...
MobileConnectDriver(4.15.00.00).zip.cpgz

And...
HUAWEI_UMTS_Dashboard_MACB301D 11SP00C03(ISO).zip
-- becomes...
HUAWEI_UMTS_Dashboard_MACB301D 11SP00C03(ISO).zip.cpgz

What gives here..????

Exocet
28th September 2009, 09:48 PM
Don't bother, just use the guide I've written for the front page:
Thursday How-To: Huawei Mobile Broadband & Snow Leopard | MacTalk Australia (http://www.mactalk.com.au/2009/09/03/thursday-how-to-huawei-mobile-broadband-snow-leopard/)

yapper
28th September 2009, 11:53 PM
Thanks Exocet for your forum and assistance to us all.

Your front page solution wasn't as successful for me as the solution I posted above. Two reasons ...
- the firmware on my VirginBroadband supplied E169 didn't update.
- I could only use it in 32 bit mode.

FYI - I used the following lines in my '/etc/ppp/options' file. More successful I found. Less disconnections ???

+pap
-chap

I have now written a 'set up' instructions file in PDF format that relates to my previous post - available here - http://macace.com.au/download/vb/HUAWEI%20USB%20Wireless%20Modem%20on%2064%20Bit%20 Snow%20Leopard%20Instructions.pdf

This file also addresses the unzippable problem mentioned by xerodude.
( or read Snow Leopard: Are your zip files not unzipping? (http://jasontomczak.com/2009/08/30/snow-leopard-are-your-zip-files-not-unzipping/) )

Exocet
29th September 2009, 09:40 AM

Your front page solution wasn't as successful for me as the solution I posted above. Two reasons ...
Glad I could be of assistance, as I said - our business lives and dies on these things so I know how frustrating it can be to have them not working.

Oh I know that the file I provided didn't update the firmware on the modems, it only installed the newer version of software on the machine. You would need to re-isntall the software on each machine you were using it on. As for 64-bit, why are you running a 64-bit kernel? There is no need for it unless your machine has more than 32GB of RAM (which due to hardware limitations, I know it doesn't). Seems like you're just causing yourself a headache where there doesn't need to be one. 64-bit apps can run fine within a 32-bit kernel.

yapper
29th September 2009, 09:48 AM
Booting 64 bit vs. 32 bit with < 32GB RAM

I find my machine feels ( is? ) faster when booted into the 64 bit kernel.

Real world tests only. i.e. everyday use. What's your experience been like?

Exocet
29th September 2009, 09:59 AM
Purely placebo effect.
What&#039;s &#034;64-bit&#034; on Snow Leopard? | Mac OS X | MacUser | Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/article/142379/2009/08/snow_leopard_64_bit.html)
:)

DIESELBOY
29th September 2009, 11:31 AM

FYI - I used the following lines in my '/etc/ppp/options' file. More successful I found. Less disconnections ???

+pap
-chap

I have now written a 'set up' instructions file in PDF format that relates to my previous post - available here - http://macace.com.au/download/vb/HUAWEI%20USB%20Wireless%20Modem%20on%2064%20Bit%20 Snow%20Leopard%20Instructions.pdf

This file also addresses the unzippable problem mentioned by xerodude.
( or read Snow Leopard: Are your zip files not unzipping? (http://jasontomczak.com/2009/08/30/snow-leopard-are-your-zip-files-not-unzipping/) )

Hi Yapper,

I would like to ask you if this is also working on Huawei E220 Dongle (Virgin Broadband)?

yapper
29th September 2009, 11:44 AM
I haven't tested it with the E220 but my educated guess is YES. The software comes from the E220 manufacturers web site after all. I'd say go for it.

DIESELBOY
29th September 2009, 11:48 AM
OK I will give it a try.

Thanks! :)

MichaelH
29th September 2009, 01:49 PM

Does this apply purely to SL? I'm using an E169 on an old G4 mini with Tiger, and would like to try this if it updates things generally - but not if it might break anything! My connection is resold Optus, with dashboard 11.201.01.00.03 and software 11.314.17.00.00. Thanks.

MichaelH
29th September 2009, 10:21 PM
To answer my own question and/or help put anyone else's mind at rest, the update worked fine on this particular non-SL system anyway!

lozpon
30th September 2009, 09:46 PM
Was wondering how DIESELBOY got along with his Virgin Broadband setup problem?

I have just purchased a MacBook and am trying to get my Virgin Broadband working... it feels as though I have tried all suggestions and exhaused all forum posts to date, still getting "Your connection failed because of an incorrect ppp setting etc"

Luckily my connection still works on trusty old Vista system (never thought i'd say that!) but i'm itching to get this mac up and running.

The only thing I haven't tried is downloading the HUAWEI mobile connect driver .zips... will need to tap into some free wifi somewhere.

Other than this, are there any new updates/thoughts?

WindowsVista
1st October 2009, 01:02 PM
May be an old thread but if you still need help check here:
Huawei Technical Forum: Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard support? ... (http://forum.huawei.com/jive4/thread.jspa?threadID=329246&tstart=0&orderStr=9)
appears to be a new "tool" to help get your modem working in 10.6. I am yet to get my modem (should arrive in a few hours) but this is how I plan to get it to work.

lozpon
1st October 2009, 10:32 PM
hey yeah, found that site... have installed the driver and now waiting for the dashboard to download at the moment - thought i'd check for updates on here whilst waiting.

i'll let you know if this method is successful

thank heavens for mcdonalds and their free wifi! I can fluff around with this and at the same time feed my brain caffine, sugar and grease so I don't feel the frustration like i have the past few nights! haha :crazy1:

DIESELBOY
2nd October 2009, 12:21 AM
Was wondering how DIESELBOY got along with his Virgin Broadband setup problem?

I have just purchased a MacBook and am trying to get my Virgin Broadband working... it feels as though I have tried all suggestions and exhaused all forum posts to date, still getting "Your connection failed because of an incorrect ppp setting etc"

Luckily my connection still works on trusty old Vista system (never thought i'd say that!) but i'm itching to get this mac up and running.

The only thing I haven't tried is downloading the HUAWEI mobile connect driver .zips... will need to tap into some free wifi somewhere.

Other than this, are there any new updates/thoughts?

Awww mate, unfortunately I am still struggling on how to solve my issue with Huawei E220 dongle (Virgin Broadband) to be honest. I really don't know what to do with this anymore. :(

Your right, I have my windows vista machine here and it works perfectly fine. I am kind of regretting why I upgrade my Mac OS X 10.5.6 to Snow Leopard. Please don't get me wrong, SL is good so far in terms of speed and all but with this issue about my mobile broadband, I am so tired of fixin' and finding out a solution to it. So whenever I am out of the office or not at home or whenever I travel, I use my iPhone as a modem (internet tethering). So I am paying my monthly bill on Virgin Broadband but I am not using it. :(

As of this moment, I am just looking for a plugin or another software to backup my Entourage (where my email stored) that is compatible with SL and I am going to backup my email and then I will definitely go back to Mac OS X 10.5.6.

lozpon
2nd October 2009, 07:53 AM
The hauwei method looks good (the dasboard recognises my dongle as virgin and i can see the bars etc) but there is still a problem with authentication.

Saw that a Virgin staff member posted on another forum (whirlpool) yesterday saying they're close to a solution. Geez! This should have been sorted out long ago!

lozpon
2nd October 2009, 08:37 AM
P.s. I bought my macbook with SL preinstalled so theres no turning back for me, just wait it out...Or change service providers.

DIESELBOY
2nd October 2009, 10:11 AM
The hauwei method looks good (the dasboard recognises my dongle as virgin and i can see the bars etc) but there is still a problem with authentication.

Saw that a Virgin staff member posted on another forum (whirlpool) yesterday saying they're close to a solution. Geez! This should have been sorted out long ago!

Yup I agree. That should be sorted out long time ago. :mad:

Oh welp... *sighs*

WindowsVista
2nd October 2009, 01:44 PM
I have an unlocked E160 (arrived this morning) and within half an hour it was setup and running Telstra just fine. Had to play around with the settings a bit and the dashboard client is a load of sh#t but it does work. Extremely slow to load and just piss poor. All working so can't complain!

Exocet
2nd October 2009, 02:12 PM
Don't bother with the dashboard client, you don't have to. You can simply use a menu bar item and OS X's built-in dialup support.

Jordan M
3rd October 2009, 03:57 PM
I find if I do not use the dashboard client, my connection drops within 5 mins.

(Vodaphone E220 unlocked using Virgin Mobile)

WindowsVista
3rd October 2009, 04:09 PM
Don't bother with the dashboard client, you don't have to. You can simply use a menu bar item and OS X's built-in dialup support.
Yes that is correct. I like using the SMS client - however now that I have an online account I can gather all my expiry dates there.

DIESELBOY
5th October 2009, 02:17 PM
I AM SO HAPPY! :)

I would like to thank Yapper for helping me out with regards to my issue with E220 Virgin Broadband dongle...

It is working now.. FINALLY!

Thanks Yappers for the help. I really appreciate it.

Cheers :)

yapper
5th October 2009, 02:24 PM
;) :)

ColinChaps
6th October 2009, 07:35 AM
AND IT WORKS

If you would like to attempt this fix (please be aware it is not an official public release…), please use the link below and proceed with caution.

Virgin Mobile (http://virginmobile.custhelp.com/euf/assets/files/VirginMobile.dmg)

If you require assistance in applying, please see the previous Whirlpool link, or reply back and I will run you through it.

Else; an official fix should be online soon, let me know if you are happy to wait and I will keep you updated.

I have to stress this is not an official release, please proceed with care!

Thanks for your continued patience!

Kevin D

Virgin Mobile.

tutorial
9th October 2009, 12:52 AM
Ready for snow 64bit

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8594/screenshot20091008at121.png

Driver only

http://rapidshare.com/files/289431784/MobileConnectDriver_4.15.00.00_.zip

Software & Driver

http://rapidshare.com/files/289432481/MOBILE_CONNECT.ISO

Vodafone Software

http://rapidshare.com/files/289432263/Vodafone_MC_Installer_3.2.zip

Exocet
9th October 2009, 09:20 AM
I'll ask again, why are you bothering with a 64-bit kernel? There is no advantage other than a perceived speed-increase as a result of the placebo effect.

QQQ
9th October 2009, 03:59 PM
I found a couple of things when upgrading my broadband drivers prior to making the jump to SL. I have an E160G modem acquired from Dodo but since switched to Virgin.

Under Leopard 10.5.8 my desktop Macs already had an /etc/ppp/options file that disabled chap so I was able to use Virgin from a desktop Mac. But my iBook didn't have such a file and it was only after I created it (after reading this forum) that I was able to connect to Virgin from a laptop (Dodo always worked). The content I found on the existing desktop Mac file and reused on my laptop was slightly different from that recorded elsewhere in this forum viz:

+pap
-chap

Then in preparation for my SL upgrade I installed Mobile Partner on my main desktop Mac as described on the first page of this forum. Either the install or the subsequent initial connection attempt wiped out the content of the /etc/ppp/options file (but not the file itself). So the connection failed. I put the file content back. But the next connection wiped out the content again before connecting. So Mobile Partner and Virgin broadband are incompatible.

The other oddity is that Mobile Partner can change the modem selected for the connection. So even after you have set the HUAWEI modem as the modem to use in System Preferences you can find that Mobile Partner changes it to something else - I get Apple V32 modem, you might get something different. There is a way to stop this while still using Mobile Partner (or at least Mobile Connnect) but after having discovered it I have since undiscovered it again.

The way around both of these is as described on the 1st page - install Mobile Partner (to get the .kext file mostly) and then set up the connection settings in System preferences as per the Video there. Then connect via the phone icon on the menu bar or via System Preferences. But if you ever forget and use Mobile Partner by accident, and you are on Virgin, not only will the connection fail but you will need to go and recreate the content of the /etc/ppp/options file and potentially reset the modem to use in System Preferences before trying again.

QQQ
9th October 2009, 04:09 PM
AND IT WORKS

If you would like to attempt this fix (please be aware it is not an official public release…), please use the link below and proceed with caution.

Virgin Mobile (http://virginmobile.custhelp.com/euf/assets/files/VirginMobile.dmg)

If you require assistance in applying, please see the previous Whirlpool link, or reply back and I will run you through it.

Else; an official fix should be online soon, let me know if you are happy to wait and I will keep you updated.

I have to stress this is not an official release, please proceed with care!

Thanks for your continued patience!

Kevin D

Virgin Mobile.
What does the Virgin unofficial fix fix ?

ausdan
12th October 2009, 09:50 PM
Hi, I have just managed to use these instructions to connect an E169 to the iPrimus network.

APN = PRIMUSLNS1

You need to type in your own username and password, not null as suggested in the video.

Exocet
12th October 2009, 09:59 PM
Hi, I have just managed to use these instructions to connect an E169 to the iPrimus network.

APN = PRIMUSLNS1

You need to type in your own username and password, not null as suggested in the video.

Great to hear it worked for you! I know that "null" for username and password wasn't going to work for everybody, the examples given in the video were for 3 Mobile as that's the only SIMs I have access to.

QQQ
12th October 2009, 10:02 PM
There are several thoughts about what the user name and password should be for connection to Virgin broadband. Some say they should be your service no (ie phone no), others say they should be the same as the service provider name (VirginBroadband). Virgin tech support may suggest one or the other but that is just for definiteness. I don't believe it actually matters - I made a user name and password up and they work fine. The only thing that matters is they can't be empty.

awalker
20th October 2009, 04:50 PM
I've managed to get it connecting, but after 10-20 mins will always disconnect. Very frustrating as I have been try to get a DL which is unresumeable.

I'm running a macbook pro and an E160 on 3.

Any suggestions?

QQQ
28th October 2009, 06:14 PM
On Dodo I got regular session disconnects which is why I left them.

On Virgin I get them still but much less frequently.

If you are regularly getting disconnected there is one thing you might look at and that is whether you have asked for session disconnection after a period of inactivity. In System Preferences -> Network select the HUWAI mobile connection type in the left pane. Unlock if necessary. Click Advanced. Select PPP. Select Session in the drop down. Uncheck Prompt ... and Disconnect ... . I haven't been able to prove to myself that these are actually relevant but leaving them checked seems to be, literally, asking for trouble.

Snow Leopard
3rd December 2009, 06:50 PM
will it still recognise me as OPTUS if i just change the APN to "Connect" as exocet mentioned? :confused:

nathanj
10th December 2009, 10:49 PM
I just received my mbp13" today. Was giggling like a little girl until my 3 mobile internet modem didn't work.

Followed both Exocet and babypoppop and it worked perfectly.

I have the E160.

This is a great forum and hope to contribute!

Glad I made the move to the dark side :)

raj
23rd December 2009, 04:17 AM
I wrote a little connection manager for an E169 & Snow Leopard in the style of Cheetah Watch that people may be interested in. The source code for Xcode is here:
Huawei E169/E220 Apple Mac OS X Snow Leopard monitoring application | i don't quite know (http://www.idontquiteknow.com/2009/12/20/my-first-cocoa-adventure-the-huawei-e169-monitor/)

mackaycs
25th December 2009, 03:49 AM
I searched high and low for the setup for Orange, I had my new "internet everywhere" dongle working in minutes, but getting it to work on even Mac Leopard (let alone Snow Leopard) took hours!

Having looked at every E160E; Huawei; Orange; Spain; USB dongle settings all over the web, by trying a few versions of the drivers (search google for "mobile partner huawei mac"). Now both the custom network settings AND the standard install work fine!

The solution above is perfect, but the settings for Orange appear to be hard to find, and you just have to fiddle till it works - see below for some hints that helped me:

Ideally do not install the standard software that comes on the stick... if you have, follow removal instructions first.

For Spain Orange, do not rely on the connection manager either...!

> plug in your usb modem, first (essential step)

> goto system preference>network

> click + button to add a new driver

> from the dropdown, select HUAWEI mobile.

> enter *99# in the telephone number field.

> leave others blank.

> hit advanced...

APN: internet

> OK

> Apply

> Connect

///////////
Problem solving:
If connects but says "Orange APN could not negotiate with PPP server" or something like that. I added username "web" and password "web". Worked for me.

Strangely I rebooted and re-ran the default Spanish installation, and it actually connected now. Looks like it needed one of those 5 drivers i installed !

/////////// NOW ONCE THE ABOVE WORKED, I STARTED THE STANDARD ORANGE SOFTWARE AND THESE ARE THE SETTINGS IT IS USING
I've left on the Mac network settings so I can see what's going on when i run the standard orange software - these are the settings:

IP: 62.32.202.48 (though i would probably leave it to work these out itself)
Telephone Number: Orange ES
Account Name: Orange
Password: can't tell but looks suspicously like orange
Under advanced...
Vendor is Other, and Model is WebToGo Virtual Modem, rather than any of the Huawei ones

Some DNS settings you can try:

I sincerely hope this helps some other of you out there, as that took my 4 hours to finally get it working!

Regards

MACKAYCS

Mup
4th March 2010, 12:02 AM
With many thanks to Yapper!

I have been struggling all morning until I decided to send a message to Yapper and he helped me out. I have a Huawei E220 and my ISP is MTN in Rwanda. For people who are still having problems: just send him a message!!

Again, thank you Yapper.

Kuzzo
7th April 2010, 02:24 PM
Exocet, I've tried your guide "Thursday How-To: Huawei Mobile Broadband & Snow Leopard", but have been unsuccessful in getting the 3 MobileBroadband.app to launch. Basically, it gives me the same symptoms as the Optus MobileBroadband app, i.e. Just hangs, does nothing except stay at the start up spalsh screen. No settings options, no nothing, except for "About 3 MobileBroadband" and "Quit 3 MobileBroadband", under the File menu.
How does one get to open up and use the SMS features of mobile broadband? And as for Optus tech support on their product.......hahahaha. There is no such thing.
I've even tried using Virgin Mobile.app, which will launch, but there is no option to access the SMS features. Yes, my setting etc., are all correct.

What a time waster this mobile broadband has been for me

basseyy
8th April 2010, 07:39 PM

hit +

leave others blank.

hit advanced...

Hit OK

THAT worked perfectly for me, MASSIVE thank you

mariapio
15th April 2010, 01:44 PM
I have a PHS100 prolink dongle, working with Dialog in Sri Lanka. My computer slows down, runs hot, and I don't get much internet connection speed. The computer also freezes when I take out the dongle. I'm running Snow Leopard, any suggestions???

ryhawk
17th July 2010, 12:29 AM
Read over thread and worked through everything

but after cleaning the machine 3xs as well as downloading exocets ktext file
I can't get it working

tried the terminal /dev/tty thing and the HUAWEI file isnt there.

But no matter what i can do i can't get the Huawei interfaces to come up.

Any ideas? the modem used to work fine, but now i put it in, it flashes green for a bit, slowly then goes blue but never appears as a drive on the desktop

thoughts?

Exocet
17th July 2010, 10:13 AM
Does it work in another machine? Could be a faulty device or cable (if you're using an E220).

ryhawk
17th July 2010, 10:33 AM
its an e160g and works on my vista machine but just stopped working in last month on my mac

Wally
17th July 2010, 11:52 AM
Maybe you've turned off the CD's/DVD's and iPod option mounted on your desktop and sidebar..

Go to your Network preference pane then plug in the huawei device.. does anything move around or go green?

ryhawk
18th July 2010, 09:03 AM
When i plug it in, it flashes a slow green for about 10s, then goes blue and flashes really slowly

in the network preferences nothing changes, and there is no huawei device, and no interface to choose for it.

its OS10.5.8 btw

i've installed and uninstalled the drivers a few times as well. (the ones from this thread)

Driven
24th August 2010, 03:43 PM
Just got the easiest fix from "3"

Rerun the MobilePartner.mpkg directly from the modem

Then drag 3 icon to the Dock and then run from there

Easy

midnight_e
4th November 2010, 11:28 PM
Installed MobilePartner.mpkg on Powerbook 17in 1GHz, ie usb1.
Have set up Huawei E1762 unlocked from Virgin, using with Internode's NodeMobile.
Suprise suprise works flawlessly, for the eight minutes I was connected for in any case.

Nice to know I can use either my Macbook 13in or Powerbook 17in when out and about.

Puppeteer
3rd January 2011, 06:49 PM
Thank you soooo much babypopop. No idea how much this helped with new mac. :-)