PDA

View Full Version : Optusnet Cable: Connecting Mac To Existing Account

ImacDaniel
12th July 2005, 07:30 PM
Hello, I would appreciate any advice. Next week I am moving into a self-contained flat at the back of a house. The owner-landlord is including internet usage in the rent. He says there are cable points throughout the premises, including in my flat. He is on Optusnet unlimited cable. Unfortunately I won't know any more details until next week, so this an initial or preliminary inquiry.

I operate a G3 500MHz Imac, running both OS9.2 and Panther (10.3.9). This has worked very well so far on Telstra dialup, Telstra DSL, and inside the LAN of a University grounds (which required only an ethernet cable, no modem). But I have not encountered this new situation before.

Optus says that only one computer is allowed on a cable network, meaning that I will have to come up with some kind of networking solution. I immediately see 2 possible scenarios:

1) there is no networking to the rear flat, so I will need to arrange that myself. So, do I pay some firm to set this up for me?

2)networking has already been fitted to the rear flat, but I have no idea where to go from there. How would I enter the right settings into my Imac, and what hardware would I need to buy, if any?

I would be most grateful for advice, as Optus will not advise me, and as a student I can't afford to pay out big bucks for expensive 'networking solutions'. I will find out more details of this flat on Monday 18th July but I am trying to find out any important info in advance. Thanks to all for any help.

Daniel

Mac Aid
12th July 2005, 07:38 PM
If it's set-up with a router (as it should be if he's providing internet access), then all you will need to do is plug your iBook in to ethernet.

If not, then you should ask him to have it set-up for you (as he is saying it comes with internet). Total cost should only be a couple of hundred dollars.

ImacDaniel
12th July 2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks .. but won't I need to type in some TCP settings, and other internet settings (into the OSX internet connect panel)? Wouldn't I need specific settings to allow access - or OTOH will those be already taken care of by the router?

Also, are you saying that, providing the router is already set up, I will only need an ethernet cable and no other hardware?

Thanks for clarifying .. Daniel

Mac Aid
12th July 2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by ImacDaniel@Jul 12 2005, 07:47 PM
Thanks .. but won't I need to type in some TCP settings, and other internet settings (into the OSX internet connect panel)? Wouldn't I need specific settings to allow access - or OTOH will those be already taken care of by the router?

Also, are you saying that, providing the router is already set up, I will only need an ethernet cable and no other hardware?

Thanks for clarifying .. Daniel
you only need to have DHCP active on the ethernet interface. The router takes care of the rest. The only hardware you would need is a straight through ethernet cable

ImacDaniel
12th July 2005, 09:14 PM
that's great, thanks again and best wishes

Daniel