PDA

View Full Version : [Mega-Merge] Snow Leopard - Installation Experiences & Problems

Back2Bedlam
27th August 2009, 11:20 PM
Apple's Snow Leopard disc will allow a clean install (http://lifehacker.com/5345690/prep-your-mac-for-snow-leopardl)

Though users of older Intel-based Macs were led to believe they would have to spend $169 to migrate from Tiger to Snow Leopard, new reports state the $29 upgrade disc will work just fine.

In his review of Snow Leopard, Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal, Mossberg reveals that those who have been hesitant to upgrade their Mac will be able to take advantage of Snow Leopard's bargain price, without the need to install the intermediate Leopard operating system first.

"For owners of Intel-based Macs who are still using the older Tiger version of the Mac OS, Apple is officially making Snow Leopard available only in a "boxed set" that includes other software and costs $169," Mossberg said. "The reasoning is that these folks never paid the $129 back in 2007 to upgrade to Leopard. But here’s a tip: Apple concedes that the $29 Snow Leopard upgrade will work properly on these Tiger-equipped Macs, so you can save the extra $140."

Wired also confirmed that they were able to upgrade a system directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. In addition, it is possible to completely erase a hard drive and install Snow Leopard without a pre-existing operating system in place, enabling users to bypass the possible headaches of an upgrade and go with a clean install instead. Wired said many users upgrading from Tiger should probably consider backing up their files from Tiger and doing a clean install instead.

"Of course, the transition isn’t guaranteed to be as smooth as it would be from Leopard to Snow Leopard," the report said of the Tiger to Snow Leopard upgrade, "and that’s because some older, Tiger-only third-party applications need to be upgraded to newer versions that work with Leopard or Snow Leopard."

NeoRicen
27th August 2009, 11:23 PM
Who's even still using Tiger that cares enough to want to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Back2Bedlam
27th August 2009, 11:26 PM
Who's even still using Tiger that cares enough to want to upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Have you read the article properly, it has more to do with being able to install SL from a clean drive, one that doesn't need to have Leopard Installed to do a clean install.

There are heaps of people out there that are still on Tiger.

Devil rolla
28th August 2009, 09:18 AM
Very cool, and also adobe Photoshop cs, cs2, cs3 and 4 run on SL as reported by macnews. Booyah.

Keljian
28th August 2009, 01:40 PM
Just so as you know, I found rosetta on the SL dvd under optional installs.

It seems to work fine with the ppc software I have..

paulmcdowall
28th August 2009, 02:52 PM
I have a 9 month old MacBook - 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM, 300Gb HDD with 92Gb free. Currently on 10.5.8.

I have 2 x Snow Leopard Installer DVDs here fresh off the TNT truck. As soon as I try to install it (before the thing even restarts), I get an error which states:

"Mac OS X cannot be installed on "HD" because this disk cannot be used to start up your computer."

WTF? This is my boot drive that the machine IS started up from. Happens with both install DVDs.

Anyone?

rmac
28th August 2009, 02:54 PM
i think you now install it while booted into your OS.

Geoff3DMN
28th August 2009, 02:55 PM
Have you tried running disk utility and repairing (or at least verifying) permissions on your hard drive?

*edit*

Just read the above post... didn't realize the OP wasn't booted into Leopard already.

spuds_imac
28th August 2009, 02:57 PM
i think you now install it while booted into your OS.

This is correct start your Laptop then put the Snow Leopard disk in.

paulmcdowall
28th August 2009, 02:58 PM
I've booted directly off the Snow Leopard DVD, run Disk Utility, repaired the disk - which needed no repairs.

Whether I insert the disk while booted under 10.5.8 and run the installer, or, simply reboot with the "C" key held down, the installer will not install because it reckons my hard drive cannot be used to start up my MacBook. Even though, of course, it's been happily booting my Macbook for the last 9 months.

I can't customise the installer, so I can't even tell it to erase and install a shiny fresh OS.

This is just weird.

DrCarlo
28th August 2009, 03:00 PM
I have the same system you do and it worked a charm.

Do you have the original HDD?

rmac
28th August 2009, 03:02 PM
try restarting holding command-option-P-R until the second louder boot chime to reset your PRAM.

W9cae
28th August 2009, 03:13 PM
Is you hard drive formatted with GUID or ?

paulmcdowall
28th August 2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. OK, I've tried, repairing the disk by booting off the Snow Leopard DVD, using Disk Utility to repair the disk (no problems). Same error.

Reset PRAM, multiple times. Same error.

Renamed my hard disk - it was named "hd". Thought, maybe it has an issue with a short HDD name. Renamed to "Macintosh HD". Same error.

I have the original HDD that shipped with the MacBook. It's formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and partitioned into 1 partition (no Boot Camp) using GUID Partition Table.

Bizarre thing is the installer insists the HDD cannot be used to boot this Mac, but then if I go to the Utilities Menu and choose Startup Disk (this is after booting off the Snow Leopard installer DVD) the Startup Disk utility happily lets me select the HDD to boot from. So 10.6 Startup Disk is happy, but the installer isn't?!

Getting to the point where I think I'll have to erase everything, reinstall Leopard so it's pristine, and then try the upgrade. Unless anyone has any other great ideas?

mallo
28th August 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure This has been covered, but just to double check.

Have you tried not booting of the Snow Leopard DVD?

Just let Leopard load up as usual, then once you've booted up, stick in your Snow Leopard install and see what happens....?

W9cae
28th August 2009, 03:42 PM
I would try to erase & format the drive then install Snow Leopard.

W9cae
28th August 2009, 03:45 PM
As a point of interest, I had difficulty with SL not installing on one of my Macs because I had used the HD as a Time Machine backup at some time in the past.

This required that I remove the Backups folder before I could install. Apple support confirmed this for me.

Cheers :)

Taken from here:
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/46/72232-installing-snow-leopard.html

paulmcdowall
28th August 2009, 03:50 PM
Yep, tried booting directly off the DVD, and booting 10.5.8 on the internal HDD, inserting DVD and running the Install Mac OS application.

No matter what I do, I keep getting the error about the drive not being able to boot Mac OS X.

The drive has never been used as a time machine backup. It's only ever been used as a boot drive for the Macbook. It shipped with 10.5.3 (I think) and has only ever been upgraded using Combo updaters.

I see a total erase and reinstall in my future.

Huy
28th August 2009, 03:51 PM
Sounds like you need GUID.

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/TS1600/TS1600_1.png

The Mac OS X installer prevents you from installing on to a disk that uses a non-native partition scheme (or to any volumes on that disk). PowerPC-based Macs and Intel-based Macs have different native partition schemes (see additional information below).

"You cannot install Mac OS X on this volume..." alert in Installer (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1600)

paulmcdowall
28th August 2009, 03:56 PM
The internal HDD is partitioned as GUID.

Nickop
28th August 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm still on Tiger, never really got around to upgrading to Leopard. So should I back up all my files or it is safe to just upgrade? Really don't want to have to backup everything i've got.

Apologies for the noob-ish post.

W9cae
28th August 2009, 04:05 PM
I have snow Leopard running from a USB drive, I had the same problem at first saw the same screen. I reformatted the drive with the Snow Leopard disk after booting from the DVD. And I made sure GUID was re-selcted then my install would work.

Mac Ram
28th August 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm still on Tiger, never really got around to upgrading to Leopard. So should I back up all my files or it is safe to just upgrade? Really don't want to have to backup everything i've got.

Apologies for the noob-ish post.

Always safer to backup (preferably using SD or CCC) prior to an upgrade.

Nickop
28th August 2009, 04:41 PM
Always safer to backup (preferably using SD or CCC) prior to an upgrade.

SD or CCC? :blushed:

So basically just backup all my files and then a straight upgrade from the latest version of Tiger to SL should be easy?

Huy
28th August 2009, 04:47 PM
SuperDuper (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html)
CarbonCopyCloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html)

:)

Nickop
28th August 2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate it :)

EDIT: Guess i'll use CCC as it's free!

LevMac
28th August 2009, 05:05 PM
This is great news...

So does that mean that if I buy Snow Leopard at $39, and when I go to install it on my mac currently running Leopard, I will have an option to choose "Format and install" ?

dickg
28th August 2009, 05:16 PM
Anyone having probs with Mail on SL?

Huy
28th August 2009, 05:27 PM
does that mean that if I buy Snow Leopard at $39, and when I go to install it on my mac currently running Leopard, I will have an option to choose "Format and install" ?

Yes. Look in Disk Utility on the DVD.

"Erase and Install" remains available through Disk Utility, which is also included on the installation DVD.

AppleInsider | Sources detail changes to Snow Leopard installation process (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/08/12/sources_detail_changes_to_snow_leopard_installatio n_process.html)

LevMac
28th August 2009, 05:36 PM
Cheers Huy :) I haven't got my copy yet, just wanting to know what to do first before I get my copy :) I think I will do a format and install, knowing that it will be "fresh"

euphospug
28th August 2009, 06:14 PM
sorry about this - can you clarify:

are you installing straight from the DVD (like you would install any OTHER software)?
ie: do not BOOT from the DVD. just your usual HD.

chrisclivia
28th August 2009, 07:22 PM
error message

operation could not be completed

(OSProductManagerDomain error 100.)

can any one help or have i got a faulty disk

Chris

LevMac
28th August 2009, 07:27 PM
Welcome to the forums....

First of all, can you give us some background information, such as what operating system your running etc etc at the moment ?

Are you just upgrading over the top of what you have ? or ?

ClockWork
28th August 2009, 07:30 PM
Or at least provide full details on the Apple Mac you're trying to install it on.

(No such thing here as too much information.)

zigzagler
28th August 2009, 07:34 PM
my MBP is currently having 20GB BootCamp partition & running VMWare with Win XP on it:

1) Is it feasible to have a clean install & then restore from Time Machine?

2) DOes that mean I'll have to re-partition all my boot camp & reinstall win xp into it?

Else,

I know if I just upgrade, it won't affect all my current Boot Camp partition, correct?

Cheers!

chrisclivia
28th August 2009, 07:34 PM
2008 3.06GHz imac running leopard 10.5.8, 2GB RAM.
I just put in the disk install disk, then double clicked on the installer and it opens and when i go continue you i get given the error.

ClockWork
28th August 2009, 07:39 PM
Try:

Insert the disc.

Then shutdown or restart your iMac, and the very second it restarts, hold down only the C key on your keyboard until you see the grey Apple logo. Then release the C key.

Lutze
28th August 2009, 07:39 PM
Try putting the disk in and restarting your computer.

Hold down the option key as the computer starts back up (your keyboard might have the option key as ALT) you'll then be presented with an option to start up - pick the Snow Leopard disk.

Try installing from there.

LevMac
28th August 2009, 07:45 PM
Guys, is it best to do a FORMAT and INSTALL ? or just install straight on top of Leopard ? I don't know what to do...

Lutze
28th August 2009, 07:46 PM
Guys, is it best to do a FORMAT and INSTALL ? or just install straight on top of Leopard ? I don't know what to do...

Apple tried to make it as simple as possible - over the top - you've got a new computer it won't harm it.

Just be aware of applications you may have that might not work in Snow Leopard - however our list is certainly NOT accurate from the start anymore as more and more apps have been updated.

Huy
28th August 2009, 07:47 PM

How much time do you have?

Short on time? Upgrade.

Time to kill? Clean install and install things manually/do everything again from scratch.

chrisclivia
28th August 2009, 07:53 PM
tried both ways and disk is rejected disk and pushed out then system starts up

ClockWork
28th August 2009, 07:59 PM
Can't find any such error message.

It may be possible that the Snow Leopard Installer is faulty.

chrisclivia
28th August 2009, 08:13 PM
will contact apple thanks for replies
chris

W9cae
28th August 2009, 08:16 PM
This off Whirlpool

The problem with not being able to select my main HD was because there was a "backup.backupdb" folder on my HD (I have no idea why). After Trashing it (required password) all was fine.

I bet this is the reason

ninja
28th August 2009, 09:17 PM
Snow Leopard is still installing after 2 hrs. It was counting down brilliantly and now its in negative territory :confused:

oohh riiight

EDIT:

Again, anyone know how to run an app on a usb key in terminal, OS X Installer or how to start OS X installer without a CD or how to eject an OS X cd whilst you are in the installer...

Ive been playing around with unix in terminal and can mount the file on the usb but not run it

Hmm macs are designed to go to MacMedics.. This is where you would want a PC where you can get deeper into the problems.. I just keep hitting brick walls

ninja
28th August 2009, 09:33 PM
iMac is fried

The installation is screwed.. It got to -1hr-30min so i went to exit installation... Went into disk utility on boot to verify disk permissions, then repair but both failed.. I then got an error message saying "back up as much info as possible"..

Ejected cd and restarted, now just after the apple logo the mac switches oFF!!!!

SOOO incredibly not happy!!

2gen intel imac

paulmcdowall
28th August 2009, 09:39 PM
I've searched for that backup folder and it doesn't exist - and this is using Terminal looking for hidden files, not just browsing in the Finder.

And it just gets weirder. I've come home from work, and I am seeing exactly the same thing on a 20" white iMac 2.33Ghz with 3Gb RAM. Same error.

Booted off a clone of my boot drive (firewire clone using CCC) and it still says the internal drive of the iMac cannot be used to boot.

Have a similar Carbon Copy Clone USB drive for my MacBook - same deal, it will install on the cloned USB drive, but not the boot drive.

Since my MacBook and iMac are pretty identical in terms of what's installed on them, my bet is there is something I've installed over the past year or so that is causing the installer to think the drives aren't boot drives.

They are both GUID partitioned, neither have a Boot Camp Partition. They should just work!

So I figure something on both the systems is causing this error. Then again, the installer will happily install on my Firewire clone drive on my iMac or the USB clone of my MacBook, but not the internal boot drive. So maybe it's not what I've installed.

I've been administering Mac systems for years and I've never come across something that just doesn't seem to make any sense like this.

This is all just too weird.

iTy
28th August 2009, 09:40 PM
Mine took about 1hr 25mins even though it said 1hr 3mins.

It finished kind of ok (the last "2 mins" took almost 30mins), but everytime it boots, it starts with a finder window and looks for System.app in the Applications folder. Don't really know what that is. The MBA seems to function ok after I close it.

Haven't tested it for battery life yet.

Rjat
28th August 2009, 09:48 PM
Patience, patience people. Done it on 3 machines today. Took 1 1/2 to 2 hours on each (even on a new MacBook Pro purchased from Apple Syd today).

Rjat
28th August 2009, 09:51 PM
Mine took about 1hr 25mins even though it said 1hr 3mins.

It finished kind of ok (the last "2 mins" took almost 30mins), but everytime it boots, it starts with a finder window and looks for System.app in the Applications folder. Don't really know what that is. The MBA seems to function ok after I close it.

Haven't tested it for battery life yet.

Do a Google search for System.app and how to locate it. One of my Macs did this, had it solved via Google in just a few mins.

T cell
28th August 2009, 09:59 PM
Help!

I ahve the exact same problem on my 09 Macbook air.

The error message is "Mac OS cannot be installed on "Macintosh HD" becausee the disc cannot be used to start up your computer.

It is the HD in my computer, I have tried repairing disc permission and restarting etc.. but it does not work,

The apple genius in the app store in doncaster was not able to help

LevMac
28th August 2009, 10:02 PM
After the erase and install, I currently have a time machine backup to my time capsule, when setting up snow leopard it will ask to transfer information via time machine, will this mess up any user account's/names ?

Providing I do the time machine restore during the setup utility it should all flow through fine hopefully ?

If I do the time machine restore AFTER ive gone through the initial setup, my username/account might get a bit messed up ?

ninja
28th August 2009, 10:12 PM
Guys i appreciate the replies but its totally F'ed.. Does anyone know how to RUN a program on a USB key in the "system installer".
That or how to RUN a program from the "terminal". Anyone know Unix :P

The ONLY thing that can save me now is a program called "diskwarrior".

Snow Leopard has completely corrupted my hdd

Rjat
28th August 2009, 10:23 PM
Um, can I ask why you stopped the installation when it was running? I would say this is a no no, unless you were getting errors or somesuch.

Mutters
28th August 2009, 10:23 PM
This is all just too weird.

Just a stab, but you haven't formatted using "Case Sensitive" by any chance?

As I say, just clutching at straws!

mutters

HumanMedia
28th August 2009, 10:24 PM
Baffled, but must be related to partitioning scheme somehow.

gameon
28th August 2009, 10:27 PM
boot machine in target disk mode (power off, power on and hold 't' till a firewire icon pops up on screen) plug a second mac into it via a firewire cable and you should be able to get all your info off it easily

ninja
28th August 2009, 10:27 PM
Um, can I ask why you stopped the installation when it was running? I would say this is a no no, unless you were getting errors or somesuch.

It was frozen

nmreid
28th August 2009, 10:30 PM
Clean install this morning. 30 mins exactly...

Was stoked!!!!!

ninja
28th August 2009, 10:31 PM
anyone know how to run an app in terminal??

im in the USB directory and i can see the diskwarrior.app but cant execute it!!

So close!!

ninja
28th August 2009, 10:56 PM
Clean install this morning. 30 mins exactly...

Was stoked!!!!!

Well done.. How exactly does this help me though:confused:

Lockley
28th August 2009, 10:56 PM
my 2008 imac only took 30 mins

tcimac
28th August 2009, 10:59 PM
I installed mine and whilst it said 1hr 3 mins, it only took about 30 mins. I did a custom install by not choosing to install all printer drivers and languages.

ninja
28th August 2009, 11:10 PM
Im happy for those that have posted here saying its installed but seriously, that doesnt help me!! I know it will install on about 99% of macs around the world today.. I get that.. Im just one of hte unlucky ones

Again, anyone know how to run an app on a usb key in terminal, OS X Installer or how to start OS X installer without a CD or how to eject an OS X cd whilst you are in the installer...

Hmm macs are designed to go to MacMedics.. This is where you would want a PC where you can get deeper into the problems.. I just keep hitting brick walls

dotnet
28th August 2009, 11:24 PM
I then got an error message saying "back up as much info as possible"..

Which means your HDD is on the fritz and is throwing up IO errors. An OS upgrade isn't the most convenient time for something like that to happen, but a common one nevertheless (due to the large amounts of disk IO).

Do as it says, get all your valuable data off, get the HDD replaced and restore.

Cheers
Steffen.

ninja
28th August 2009, 11:28 PM
Which means your HDD is on the fritz and is throwing up IO errors. An OS upgrade isn't the most convenient time for something like that to happen, but a common one nevertheless (due to the large amounts of disk IO).

Do as it says, get all your valuable data off, get the HDD replaced and restore.

Cheers
Steffen.

I know i should do that but i found this -- DiskWarrior 4 (http://www.alsoft.com/DiskWarrior/index.html)

Only problem is i cant burn the .dmg file to a cd on my laptop(pc) to then boot from in osx and repair the hdd

Other option is to run the file in terminal but i can only get as far as locating the directory its in but cant "open" the file.

Another option was to copy the file from the usb key in disk utility to a blank cd which os x installer prompts me for but then realises that it cant eject the cd OS X whilst in installer mode.

One thing is for sure.. Its forced me to brush up on my unix skills

sebastianprobsteide
29th August 2009, 12:19 AM
I have the same problem!
I also get "Mac OS X cannot be installed on 'Macintosh HD', because this disk cannot be used to start up your computer."

I have spoken with a Senior Apple Care representative for more than an hour. He couldn't figure it out and escalated the case to one of their engineers. He said they would get back to me on the 4th at the very latest.

My disc is in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.
Partition Map Scheme: GUID Partition Table

I ran a "verify disk" in disc utilities, but there was nothing to fix.
There are some permissions that are wrong, that don't get fixed when I am clicking "Repair Disk Permissions", but I don't think they are causing it!?

I am on a MacBook Air, late 2008 model.
SSD 128 HDD.

If you guys haven't found a solution before then, I'll let you know what the apple engineers say. I really hope I don't have to erase everything and then do a clean install!

All the best,
Sebastian

ctawn
29th August 2009, 12:26 AM
Have a similar Carbon Copy Clone USB drive for my MacBook - same deal, it will install on the cloned USB drive, but not the boot drive.

I wonder whether the very PRESENCE of a cloned drive has anything to do with this problem? In my case it's made with Super Duper, but makes me go hmmm.... The clone volume is in one of the internal drive bays --- if it comes to it I suppose I could pop it out and see what happens. Maybe you can test easier by detaching it?

ctawn
29th August 2009, 12:30 AM
mistakenly posted this in wrong thread:

I have precisely the same problem. SL won't install on my main boot volume formatted by apple and shipped with 10.5.x! It's GUID formatted, Mac OS extended Journalled. The hilarious thing is it WILL install on a mirror volume of the same drive (made by SuperDuper). I'd post screen shots but it's moot -- same situation as posted above.

Same issue whether I run installer from DVD while booted off main Leopard 10.5.8 volume or booted off DVD. Error message is similar but not exactly worded the same in each case.

There is another thread here:

Unable to install Snow Leopard on Alu. Macbook - InsanelyMac Forum (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181955)

Hope for some resolution soon.

I do not have a backup.backupd file or whatever on the root of that volume, invisible or otherwise (used ls -a / in terminal to check that). There are other non-standard files at root however, including a folder called "boot" that I've never seen anywhere else. That contains an invisible folder called ".lsysmdat" which in turn contains other invisible files. There is also a folder called "opt" which contains something called "gtk"... I think the latter may have been installed by fink (so there's also a folder called "sw" -- installed by fink.) I also have a "Windows" folder at root (for emulation stuff) and a "Clam Quarantine" folder at root (for virus quarantine). However all of these are also on the mirror volume, which as I said will allow an install.

Seb_or_Sam
29th August 2009, 01:53 AM
I have the exact same problem! This is driving me crazy! Any help would be much appreciated.

lucky_pierre
29th August 2009, 04:51 AM
Weird indeed. Has anyone tried recovering the clone back onto the HDD, then installing SL? Or, more dangerously, installing SL on the clone, then 'recovering' onto the HDD?

There's an invisible file called '.com.apple.timemachinesupported' in the root directory (although I can't find the backupsdb file). I know this doesn't tie up with the findings on clones, but could this file be indicating to the installer that this is a backup volume and therefore (for some reason) it can't be used?

I have the same problem btw - made a special trip into London to get my copy of SL, running a slightly unusual configuration (15" MBP, 250Gb, 4Gb, 2.8GHz), but bought from an established Apple reseller and only six months old.

'The world's most advanced operating system. Finely tuned', it says here.....

ctawn
29th August 2009, 06:29 AM
Has anyone tried recovering the clone back onto the HDD, then installing SL?

There's an invisible file called '.com.apple.timemachinesupported' in the root directory (although I can't find the backupsdb file).

i haven't and probably wouldn't try first idea but its a thought...

as for that invisible file, i have it too. but yeah, i think it's just drives that are being backed up by TM...

lucky_pierre
29th August 2009, 08:39 AM
Tried deleting the .com.apple.timemachine.supported file, and no difference. Hey ho. Not sure what to do next - wait for Apple? Any idea how many of us are suffering with this?

lucky_pierre
29th August 2009, 09:01 AM
At a number of points in my life, I have become convinced that things weren't working out, only to discover that actually someone, somewhere was looking after me...

PGP Corporation does not recommend using PGP® Desktop with Mac OS X 10.6 at this time, neither the 32 bit nor 64 bit versions of Snow Leopard are currently supported by PGP Corporation. This includes PGP® Whole Disk Encryption, PGP® Desktop Professional, PGP® Desktop Home and PGP® Desktop Email.

This email is to advise you that if you are running PGP® Whole Disk Encryption, PGP® Desktop Professional, PGP® Desktop Home or PGP® Desktop Email, you should NOT upgrade to Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

If you intend to upgrade to Snow Leopard, you must decrypt all PGP® encrypted drives and uninstall PGP® Desktop before upgrading the system to Mac OS X 10.6.

After upgrading your system you should not attempt to re-encrypt any disks with PGP® Whole Disk Encryption as it is likely to lead to potential data loss or other system and data issues.

That could have been... inconvenient? What price an early release of SL?

droidmaker
29th August 2009, 10:10 AM
Hello all,
I just joined the forum after reading this thread. I was having the same problem as all of you - MacBook won't install Snow Leopard. The system is a relatively clean install with no hacks or extensions. I popped in the SL upgrade disc, and I was greeted with the "cannot be installed error."
After much agony, here's what finally worked in my situation:

Create a Time Machine backup of the machine to an external HDD.
Find the Leopard installation discs that shipped with the machine.
Repartition the HDD using the GUID format (even if it is already so).
Perform an "Erase and Install" installation of Leopard from the discs in step two.
After installation is complete, restore from your Time Machine backup, and apply all available software updates.
Pop in the SL upgrade disc, and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps.

-Droidmaker

Never mind all of the hassle... just follow the instructions found here:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Cannot install Snow Leopard over 10.5.8 ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2130966&tstart=45)

paulmcdowall
29th August 2009, 10:28 AM
So the culprit is PGP Desktop. Thanks lucky_pierre. Both my MacBook and iMac had PGP Desktop installed - not using any disk encryption, just for mail.

Uninstall PGP Desktop, restart. All good. I can now install on my Boot Drive without problems.

Big thread on Apple's Discussion Boards on same issue here:
Apple - Support - Discussions - Cannot install Snow Leopard over 10.5.8 ... (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2130966&tstart=45)

PaulBrainerd
29th August 2009, 12:21 PM
Mac OS X 10.5.6: Disk Utility functioning incorrectly? - MacFixIt (http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20090111225651243)

This link explains problems Apple's disk utility had in 10.5 reformating and partitioning drives. I think it is best to clone to an external, install SL, reformat internal with the disk utility from SL CD, and then clone back to internal.

iTy
29th August 2009, 12:33 PM
I'm upgrading my iMac now. It seems to be stuck where the screen goes dim and the spinner thing goes on. Its been like that for just over an hour now. Is that normal? Should I wait or do a hard restart?

ctawn
29th August 2009, 01:08 PM
A tip by William Maxwell solved the problem for me (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2130966&start=32&tstart=0). Involved tweaking the size but not actually repartitioning, the boot volume with Disk Utility.

Note: PGP Desktop also appears to be a culprit, and I have it installed too, but the above tip worked without uninstalling PGP Desktop.

Now to just muster the guts to make the leap with the other known incompatibilities...

Timpinen
29th August 2009, 01:34 PM
Hi all

just installed SL on my Macbook - all good.

Tired on the IMAC - unfortunately there were 'software updates' ready to go but the install had started. When it got to the first restart it was stuck in 'updates'. I did the wrong thing and got more updates and restarted.

The SL icon showed the install had resumed after the restart. Then at the CONGRATS prompt for the last restart, my IMAC never completed the restart and has been stuck there for over an hour. I rebooted - still stuck. Can't access the imac and dont know how to 'undo' or 'redo' whatever needs to be done.

ninja
29th August 2009, 02:36 PM
Thanks for merging my thread in here too

Well i just tried to back up my hdd in disk utility and disk utility appears to have erased everything on both drives.

Yep.. I have just lost 27yrs of pics, videos, movies, information, emails... everything

Im totally gutted

disk utility said that it failed and both drives showed their "free" space as the "full" capacity... That was the post before.. So i restarted it and was planning on going back into the osx iinstaller menu and before i know it im LOOKING AT MY DESKTOP!!! LEOPARD NOT SNOW LEOPARD BUT EVERYTHING IS THERE.. I COULD CRY RIGHT NOW...

For those that havent followed my story it has been epic.. My iMac has been flicking off after the apple logo constantly since yesterday so its so bizarre that it went to it now??? There is no logical reason why it did.. I hadnt/couldnt repair permissions or anything like that

Anyone want a copy of snow leopard.. Im not touching it till i get a new imac when they FINALLY change the design

PeteinSA
29th August 2009, 05:06 PM
Damn ninja, thats bad. I couldn't stand the thought of losing all those memories! Surely one of the boffins on here could help you out...

ninja
29th August 2009, 08:12 PM
Damn ninja, thats bad. I couldn't stand the thought of losing all those memories! Surely one of the boffins on here could help you out...

lol we'll see... Im going to try and run diskwarrior again tonight.. Time machine and disk utility arent working so now im systematically dragging and dropping files to my external hdd.. Then ill restart and go for it again!!

chaosboi
29th August 2009, 10:23 PM
I'm yet to install, but have had the disk since yesterday.
I want a clean install, but what the best way to back up mail?
I guess iTunes is easy, just drag and drop the iTunes files, and point to my external iTunes library.

Currawong
29th August 2009, 10:50 PM
Ninja, I feel sorry for you. How did you try and "back up" your drives with Disk Utility exactly?

Before upgrading, I would recommend the following:

Verify your disk using Disk Utility. Repairing permissions isn't necessary as the upgrade/install will do everything from scratch anyway.

Create a second user on your machine and turn off automatic login. In case your regular login causes issues, you wont be stuck as you'll have a vanilla user to fall back on.

If you do have issues, they will very likely be caused by 3rd party stuff that you installed, not so much applications as anything that adds to or changes system functionality, like video plug-ins, Preference Panes and hardware drivers. I usually try and install those in my user Library if the option is available, not not the global Library, so it's easier to work out where the issue is by switching users.

Usually with 3rd party stuff, most grief can be avoided by keeping everything up-to-date. Though much 3rd party stuff checks for updates, quite a bit does not. Ever thought to update Flash? 10.5 installs were broken by a haxie from Unsanity which people hadn't updated.

Importantly, this stuff isn't voodoo, it's very straight-forward, and problems have logical explanations. If you know your way around the system reasonably well and use your brain, you will be able to solve any issues that come up. :)

The_Hawk
29th August 2009, 11:27 PM
For some screwed up reason when upgrading the Wifes MBP the screen went black and the system seemed to stop. On reboot it refused to acknowledge the HDD was there, booting from the SL DVD made the screen go black again and no amount of waiting would help. Repairing the Disk didn't help, something was REALLY screwy...

Restoring from the last TM backup to 10.5.8 went fine so being a sucker for punishment I just threw the upgrade DVD in again...

This time it went through fine, fired up... then I checked a couple of the commonly used programs (really should have done this first)... so now it'e restoring the Leopard install again :P

nomyt
29th August 2009, 11:47 PM
As my Snow Leopard instal wiped out my Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer driver and queue I tried the installed Apple ones, but they are 3rd party and don't have any the features/options of the genuine Epson drivers. The Epson US site has Leopard compatible drivers available for some Epson printers, but not the R800 it seems. So I downloaded the latest one I could find from the AU Epson site and during instal it hung on 12 files yet to instal. Had to force quit out of it. Finally got it to instal under Safe Boot mode.
So... if you are having difficulty installing print drivers, try installing under SAFE BOOT (Restart with Shift key down). Worked for me anyway.:)

ise
30th August 2009, 01:57 AM
2008 3.06GHz imac running leopard 10.5.8, 2GB RAM.
I just put in the disk install disk, then double clicked on the installer and it opens and when i go continue you i get given the error.

I have the exact same problem, according to disk utility there's no problem with the DVD but it's thrashing around when trying to run the installer.

I've a macbook pro, just going to investigate a bit more.

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 3 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.14f5
Serial Number (system): W87160SEW0J
Hardware UUID: 00000000-0000-1000-8000-0017F2DDFF87
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.8 (9L31a)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

ise
30th August 2009, 02:25 AM
I have the exact same problem, according to disk utility there's no problem with the DVD but it's thrashing around when trying to run the installer.

I've a macbook pro, just going to investigate a bit more.

odd, it's working now. After checking the DVD I rebooted, stopped the junk running really just skype, growl and a facebook taskbar app then tried again and it was fine. I'd not expected that, it was just my level playing field to investigate further.

n20nine
30th August 2009, 05:29 PM
hey guys, i erased my os x partition and reinstalled SL on it. Was amazingly fast, but I had too much stuff and decided that transferring files manually and reinstalling apps would take donkey years, so i opened up migration assistant and only imported my files and applications.

well, office is kinda messed up. everytime i open either office apps, it keeps saying that the database needs repair. reinstalling didnt fix it, so i had to go to documents -> microsoft user data and discovered that all the files/folders i transferred over were locked - i did not have permission to access it. setting the permission right fixed it.

anyway, just out of curiosity, when i click on get info on the Apple apps, it says created : July 2009, thats when I reinstalled OS 10.5. I am wondering if migration assist replaced it with older files and so i installed SL again on top of my current installation and after rebooting, its the same.

should i erase and reinstall all over again?

yinyang
30th August 2009, 05:40 PM
should i erase and reinstall all over again?

depends if you have the time & patience...! :)

but that's what I've decided to do since I wasn't entirely convinced that my initial upgrade was all that good, but I think that was more down to how things were working on 10.5.8 - after the initial upgrade to SL, the fans were spinning up quite often, and I couldn't figure out why since Activity Monitor or Console had nothing going on at the time.

I did a restore and upgraded again, but it still didn't feel that right, so I decided to just do a complete erase and install, and then install apps from scratch. It's just time consuming, trying to make sure everything is set up as it was, but it's a pretty good housecleaning exercise - getting rid of apps that aren't used anymore or useful.

toholio
30th August 2009, 08:27 PM
Gah! My laptop and desktop upgraded just fine by my fiance's desktop wont boot!

It's stuck at the apple logo with the spinning wheel like a lot of other people. It just sits there spinning that wheel forever...

igroucho
30th August 2009, 09:01 PM
Thanks for merging my thread in here too

Well i just tried to back up my hdd in disk utility and disk utility appears to have erased everything on both drives.

Yep.. I have just lost 27yrs of pics, videos, movies, information, emails... everything

Im totally gutted

disk utility said that it failed and both drives showed their "free" space as the "full" capacity... That was the post before.. So i restarted it and was planning on going back into the osx iinstaller menu and before i know it im LOOKING AT MY DESKTOP!!! LEOPARD NOT SNOW LEOPARD BUT EVERYTHING IS THERE.. I COULD CRY RIGHT NOW...

For those that havent followed my story it has been epic.. My iMac has been flicking off after the apple logo constantly since yesterday so its so bizarre that it went to it now??? There is no logical reason why it did.. I hadnt/couldnt repair permissions or anything like that

Anyone want a copy of snow leopard.. Im not touching it till i get a new imac when they FINALLY change the design
Dunno, but if I were in ur position i'd yank that drive out of the mac and replace with a fresh, drives R pretty cheap today and more often than not U need to upgrade space. I'd access that drive w rescue-SW from an usb adapter (also dirt cheap) or something more elaborate like a Wiebetech FW dock. BTW my jaw dropped when installing SL when it wouldn't accept my known good internal macbook drive (which btw I swapped like 6 months ago) saying it should be "GUID partition scheme". Luckily nuff I just had a full Time Machine backup so I could reformat the drive on the spot, installed SL and upon restart SL prompted me to connect the external TM drive for my old files. Everything went very smoothly & I'm up & runnin dandy here.
For all U who R stuck: I'd install a fresh drive and if that wont do it, install 10.5 and upon that SL. Or just pull the drive out and access it via an usb-adapter, format and put it in again. Anybody tried to install SL from an image file on an external device???

dagaz
30th August 2009, 09:44 PM
Well, as well as Mail not opening (as outlined here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/46/72240-snow-leopard-mail-v4.html#post858874)), I've just discovered there's no iCal in my Applications folder. Looks like it's time to try an Archive and Install this time - I believe I can to do that from within the Utilities menu when booted off the Install DVD?

MrJesseRoss
31st August 2009, 05:27 PM
Blargh.

I've tried to do an upgrade install 3 times so far, every time it's failed and told me to clean the disc. How many times do I need to clean it before it's clean?!

dagaz
31st August 2009, 05:52 PM
I keep getting that too. What I've found interesting is that once you have Snow Leopard installed you can just install OSX from the desktop without having to reboot from the Install DVD (screenshot below). However, it hasn't actually let me do that yet as every time I get the message described by hghg above.

Whenever I try to install while booted from the DVD I get an error message that the install failed as it couldn't copy the necessary support files.

MrJesseRoss
31st August 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm talking with Apple tech support at the moment, organising a replacement disc. Their system wants a hub number but neither I nor the tech guy know what that is!

Update - We worked it out! :D

Aco
31st August 2009, 06:26 PM
Umm.. iTunes wont open up and says "iTunes file is locked or on a locked disk" and then just shuts back down. Physically wont let me get into it at all and just gives me the error message..

What the hell?

nortonjg
31st August 2009, 06:58 PM
Cant install snow leopard it said something about GUID partition. so instead of an upgrade i decided to erase and install. but the problem is it won't allow me to format the partition it says MediaKit reports checksum operation failure.

I have a second partition for windows bootcamp. do i need to format the whole drive to get this to work? i would like to keep the bootcamp partition rather than reinstall everything

Surfheart
31st August 2009, 07:10 PM
I had the dirty disk problem as well. Took the disk back to the Robina Apple store where I purchased it and exchanged. New disk worked like a charm.

black painter
1st September 2009, 05:20 AM
just installed snow leopard using a clean install. All went well and everything that I can find works well.

igroucho
1st September 2009, 05:35 AM
Cant install snow leopard it said something about GUID partition. so instead of an upgrade i decided to erase and install. but the problem is it won't allow me to format the partition it says MediaKit reports checksum operation failure.

I have a second partition for windows bootcamp. do i need to format the whole drive to get this to work? i would like to keep the bootcamp partition rather than reinstall everything
You should be able to clone the win-partition for ex using this:
http://http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/25932
Your mac-data you'd better backup using Time Machine thats what I did prior to upgrading and that was smooth sailing!
OR U can follow this tutorial:
YouTube - How to clone / backup your Windows Bootcamp partition - Winclone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4x9NB11loU)

Dubhousing
1st September 2009, 01:57 PM
As my Snow Leopard instal wiped out my Epson Stylus Photo R800 printer driver and queue I tried the installed Apple ones, but they are 3rd party and don't have any the features/options of the genuine Epson drivers. The Epson US site has Leopard compatible drivers available for some Epson printers, but not the R800 it seems. So I downloaded the latest one I could find from the AU Epson site and during instal it hung on 12 files yet to instal. Had to force quit out of it. Finally got it to instal under Safe Boot mode.
So... if you are having difficulty installing print drivers, try installing under SAFE BOOT (Restart with Shift key down). Worked for me anyway.:)

bah, I can install the drivers but the printer doesn't work. It just hangs and then gives me a communication error message. And what it is about Epson - every national site seems to have different drivers and instructions.

Saving for a different brand of printer

catwhit
1st September 2009, 02:13 PM
I tried to install SL tonight at 5:30 and its not 11:15
grey screen with beach ball going in circles
can't reject the disc
What on earth do I do?? I wish I had never fooled with this....
I have 10.5 system

igroucho
1st September 2009, 04:55 PM
I tried to install SL tonight at 5:30 and its not 11:15
grey screen with beach ball going in circles
can't reject the disc
What on earth do I do?? I wish I had never fooled with this....
I have 10.5 system
If U made a fresh backup before U started it its pretty much a no-brainer, do a hard shutdown (pressing the on-button til the machine shuts down). If U have not U will be forced to do the same manoevre just hoping nothing has gone sour on U (and in which case don't do anything if that data is invaluable to U before accessing the disk somehow using another machine and some sort of rescuing software - Data Rescue/TechTools come to mind).
Before U use that same SL-disk again VERIFY it using Disk Util!!!

dagaz
1st September 2009, 05:09 PM
My Snow Leopard dramas continue.

It's been confirmed by Apple Tech Support that I have a faulty DVD and they're sending me out a new one. I thought I'd try going back to Leopard so that I have a working Mail and iCal between now and when the install disk gets here. However, when booted off my Leopard DVD (the restore disk that came with my MacBook) under Archive & Install the preserve Users and Network settings is greyed out and unable to be selected. I can't be bothered going through all that BS when I know I'm going to upgrade again in a few days time anyway.

dappleone
4th September 2009, 07:56 AM
Not sure if this has surfaced in the discussions about Snow Leopard to date here on Mactalk. I followed the instructions and updated Flash Player anyway.

Apple ships a known vulnerable version of Flash with Snow Leopard | Graham Cluley's blog (http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2009/09/02/apple-ships-vulnerable-version-flash-snow-leopard/)

razza85
4th September 2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I read about it last night. I then proceeded to update Aobe Flash Player to the latest version. I find that it was a bit dodgy that Apple secretly downgraded Flash Player in 10.6. The real question though is why?

dagaz
4th September 2009, 12:07 PM
I find that it was a bit dodgy that Apple secretly downgraded Flash Player in 10.6. The real question though is why?

I believe it's because that was the latest version of Flash when SL went Gold Master.

On a sidenote, reading about this on another site helped me to discover 'Click to Flash (http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/)' which is just awesome, can't believe I hadn't heard about it before.

asylum119
5th September 2009, 10:23 AM
I was very disappointed to find out that Little Snitch was not compatible with SL.
Had to install 2.2b and do all that hard work again.

And also disappointed at the Finder crashes, I thought only Microsoft had to restart to fix a problem.

Oh well

MissionMan
5th September 2009, 11:08 AM
Why did you have to do all the hard work again? When I upgraded my littlesnitch it carried my rules across.

Also haven't had one finder crash on mine either.

jeremymacbook
7th September 2009, 11:37 AM
For those people having the 'could not copy necessary support files': my post at sensestudios...

"I have spent over $100 on dual-layer discs, an 8GB usb drive and an original copy of Leopard (after originally downloading it)…
I have tried installing with two kinds of ram, have blown compressed air into my drive, have tried with different Leopard disks.
I have spent the last two whole days trying to get Snow Leopard to work.
“Installer could not copy the necessary support files”.
I don’t want Snow Leopard anymore. I have lost all motivation.
Apple… disappointing."

Other forums have discovered - this error is not caused by a faulty disc or disc drive, don't waste time returning/replacing it. It is a hardware issue with your mac.

Most often a HDD issue. Replace your HDD (first) and it should be fine.
Reports of RAM being the issue too. Try different RAM stick combinations (second) or replace RAM (third).

More posts on this issue here (Snow Leopard - Install Failed Again and Again! [Archive] - Mac Forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-776451.html))

jeremymacbook
7th September 2009, 02:56 PM
I'll confirm the above post by myself.

After 3 terrible days of struggling with 100 different ways of installing, to solve the 'could not copy necessary support files' problem, i replaced the HDD.

Why it didn't like the HDD? I don't know. Keen to hear if anyone has a clue?

6andy6
9th September 2009, 08:25 PM
Stuck the disc in (its a family pack and hasn't been used 5 times). The correct registration pages came up including accepting the terms and conditions. Entered, pressed all the right buttons and it started loading up (the download screen came up). Left house and came back around 50 minutes later and the disc has ejected from my Macbook pro.

I assumed it had updated and logged out. When restarted I noticed that nothing seemed up dated and when I clicked the 'apple' it says I have Version 10.5.8.

Can't work out what has (or in this case hasn't) happened. I have tried putting in the disc again but it just whirls around then ejects with nothing coming up. Not sure what to do. Just a newbie so limited in my tech knowledge as to what to do next 9other than maybe buy another disc and try again).

dagaz
9th September 2009, 09:11 PM
I still haven't received my replacement disk. I've rung Apple and they've said that according to their system it was sent out to me last Tuesday (1st). This just seems ridiculous, where are they shipping it from?

Also, I've confirmed that it is in fact a dodgy DVD in my case. I've tried making a copy through both Disk Utility and Toast and they both throw up disk errors. I then tried using Pacifist to just install iCal and Mail but it said it can't find the necessary packages.

I feel so frustrated using a half-borked system and the Leopard install Disk won't let me downgrade without wiping my whole install (neither Chronosync or TimeMachine are working properly with my borked install either). This is the first time I've been hit with something like this when upgrading (I've been using Macs since System 7).

Apple_Lover
9th September 2009, 09:12 PM
I'm still holding off going to Snow Leopard, after hearing some of these problems people are encountering.

What to do? Is it a good idea to wait.

I can't remember but when Leopard came out, were there this many major and minor installation dramas?

Currawong
11th September 2009, 11:20 PM
Every new Apple OS and every single update ever released by Apple resulted in someone, somewhere having issues. First, 95%+ of those issues will be related to third party software. You could update now, you could update a year down the track, but it doesn't mean things will or wont go smoothly for you. Chances are it will though, as people tend to post when things break, not when things go fine.