PDA

View Full Version : iStat for iPhone 1.1 released!

marc
27th August 2009, 12:17 PM
Here's what's new:
- Removed Free Memory function (here’s why (http://bjango.com/help/istat/freememory/)).
- Added battery stats for iPhone/iPod touch.
- Added processes list for iPhone/iPod touch.
- Added the ability to sort the server list by name or auto.
- Added the ability to disable Screen lock.
- The email ID/Mac/both buttons now copy to the clipboard instead.
- Updated icon.
- Bug fixes.

Battery stats are the biggest new feature. We're now as good as any of the battery apps on the store.

iStat, an iPhone app by Bjango (http://bjango.com/apps/istat/)

http://bjango.com/images/apps/istat/iphone.png

The_Hawk
27th August 2009, 12:28 PM
*click* downloading... :)

Looks pretty :D

incanspyder
27th August 2009, 12:28 PM
The newer version with battery stats suits me fine (in fact, is excellent) - I can now do without the free memory option!

Dux
27th August 2009, 12:32 PM
Fantastic! Thanks very much. Updated as soon as I could.

Love the battery info, I've always wanted this!

marc
27th August 2009, 12:37 PM
If you're not seeing the iStat 1.1 update yet, you can delete the app then redownload. You'll lose your settings though. This works for any app that's been approved, but the update isn't showing yet.

There's a small bug in 1.1: the ticks in the settings pages don't display properly. They still function though. We'll fix this in version 1.2, due soon.

Is iStat the best util of its kind? If not, what's it missing?

BiRDBRAiN
27th August 2009, 01:27 PM
w00t!

I like it. Haven't used the 'free memory' button, so I'm not missing it!

Plus I get the *warm fuzzies* from supporting an aussie software developer :D

marc
27th August 2009, 01:41 PM
We're getting some bad reviews on the US iTunes store due to Free Memory being removed. GRRR. Wish we didn't have to take features away from users.

angusg
27th August 2009, 01:50 PM
We're getting some bad reviews on the US iTunes store due to Free Memory being removed. GRRR. Wish we didn't have to take features away from users.
That grates my gears a bit.. Apple requested you remove it, and Apple moderate the reviews, they should have a system to inform the reviewers as well..

I really like the battery info, question though, the battery info in iStat is usually 2% less than the system battery info.. Is that normal??

marc
27th August 2009, 01:55 PM
Question though, the battery info in iStat is usually 2% less than the system battery info.. Is that normal??
We're using a published API call and simply reporting what it tells us.

BiRDBRAiN
27th August 2009, 05:13 PM

Blow them, its still a great app man!

<shakes fist at Apple>

Seon
27th August 2009, 05:34 PM
Yeah it really suxors.... I use Free Memory all the time while I am testing builds on my devices! Am not wanting to update to 1.1 cause of this.

I feel for you Bjango boys!

dotnet
27th August 2009, 05:35 PM

Just wait until the blogosphere latches on to it...

Cheers
Steffen.

wolfie
27th August 2009, 05:42 PM
Why don't you inform your users it's because of apple request?
So your buyers understand it was not a feature you wanted removed?

wolfie
27th August 2009, 05:44 PM
As for me, I can't decide whether to upgrade, the battery status is awesome ( even if I got 3gs battery indicator )

incanspyder
27th August 2009, 06:57 PM
I just noticed this, although I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with iStat 1.1:

On my istat server, it shows my iPhone's name as "Buffy's iPhone". Now this is fucking awkward, but my iPhone isn't even named Buffy, it's called "Neil's iPhone". Any idea what's going on? SMG gives me the shits.

Also, the ticks in the settings thing don't disappear when you deselect them (although it works in terms of functionalities.)

grfxninja
27th August 2009, 07:19 PM
Also, the ticks in the settings thing don't disappear when you deselect them (although it works in terms of functionalities.)

There's a small bug in 1.1: the ticks in the settings pages don't display properly. They still function though. We'll fix this in version 1.2, due soon.

They already know mate ;)

marc
27th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Why don't you inform your users it's because of apple request?
So your buyers understand it was not a feature you wanted removed?
We've posted on Twitter, added comments on iTunes, placed a note on all relevant web pages and have created a specific help page for it. Not sure there's much else we can do.

incanspyder: Sorry about those. Both will be fixed in 1.2, due soonish.

marc
28th August 2009, 03:23 PM
Want iStat 1.0 back?

Here's how (Time Machine required). (http://bjango.com/help/istat/freememory/)

Lucidelusion
30th August 2009, 04:46 PM
understanding that it was not the developers fault and wanting what you paid for as a consumer are two different things. Sucks for Bjango but its no more the consumers fault then it is Bjangos fault and unfortunately bottom line it was Bjangos decision to remove the feature in an update vs republishing the application with the possibility of a limited time discount price.

Don't be mad at the consumer for wanting what they paid for... at least that my opinion as a consumer who purchased istat for the Free Memory function.

marc
30th August 2009, 05:28 PM
unfortunately bottom line it was Bjango's decision to remove the feature in an update vs republishing the application with the possibility of a limited time discount price.
This is true.

We actually asked our users via Twitter for what they'd prefer and most said to update iStat, rather than submit a new app. In the end, this was the option that would make us less money, but keep more users happy.

We were going to get some negative feedback no matter which path we took, but I still stand by the decision we made. iStat still has a great future without the feature.

Currawong
31st August 2009, 10:32 PM
I've left you guys a 5-star review on the store. I couldn't be happier personally with the features included.

I'd guess that Apple wants the iPhone to be as reliable as possible, and may be responding to reliability complaints caused by apps using the free memory feature. However, that will hopefully also mean that Apple is working to improve the memory handling regardless, so the phone can run for many days (or weeks) without issues.

marc
1st September 2009, 07:48 PM
I've left you guys a 5-star review on the store. I couldn't be happier personally with the features included.
Thanks. We really need it right now :)

angusg
1st September 2009, 08:16 PM
^^ Just did the same :)

CeeDubH
3rd September 2009, 05:18 PM
I just noticed this, although I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with iStat 1.1:

On my istat server, it shows my iPhone's name as "Buffy's iPhone". Now this is fucking awkward, but my iPhone isn't even named Buffy, it's called "Neil's iPhone".

I just purchased iStat for my iPhone because I upgraded to 10.6 and I missed iStat menus on my MacBook so much I had to get my stats somewhere else. But I have the same issue. Connected my iPhone via Bonjour to my MacBook on my home network and my iPhone's hostname shows up as Buffy's iPhone. Not sure what the hell that is.

Still, an amazing little app, and I can't wait to have iStat menus back on my MacBook. You guys all do great work.

angusg
3rd September 2009, 05:19 PM
I just purchased iStat for my iPhone because I upgraded to 10.6 and I missed iStat menus on my MacBook so much I had to get my stats somewhere else. But I have the same issue. Connected my iPhone via Bonjour to my MacBook on my home network and my iPhone's hostname shows up as Buffy's iPhone. Not sure what the hell that is.

Still, an amazing little app, and I can't wait to have iStat menus back on my MacBook. You guys all do great work.
You know there's a widget as well??

CeeDubH
3rd September 2009, 05:50 PM
You know there's a widget as well??

Yeah, I have that. I have just never been a huge fan of the Dashboard. Having all of your stats up in the menu bar is just to convenient, and I think that iStats is leaps and bounds ahead of MenuMeters, both in aesthetics and with customizable options.

Huh. . . that read kind of like an advertisement, didn't it?

P.S. Gave you guys a 5-Star rating. This is a great app, and the idiotic end-users that are so upset about one missing feature are missing the point of the application and the iTunes rating process.

angusg
3rd September 2009, 06:02 PM
Ahh.. I prefer the iStat widget, all the info I need with a single click and it doesn't clutter up my menu bar :)

mac_man_luke
3rd September 2009, 06:20 PM
Gave you guys a good review, stupid people giving 1 star ratings for something out of your hands that was never a main feature.

They should be complaining to apple instead.

chaosboi
3rd September 2009, 07:14 PM
Is iStat Menu close to being released for Snow Leopard?

I'm feeling lost without it.

ZacDavies
3rd September 2009, 11:51 PM
Ironically, Memory Status (http://appshopper.com/utilities/memory-status) is still allowed to sell on the app store.

http://images.appshopper.com/screenshots/292/011358_3.jpg

What gives, Apple?

CeeDubH
4th September 2009, 04:10 AM
Is iStat Menu close to being released for Snow Leopard?

I'm feeling lost without it.

It was released today! iStats 2.0! Here is the link if anybody needed it:

iStat Menus, a Mac app by iSlayer (http://islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/)

dotnet
4th September 2009, 03:51 PM
Ironically, Memory Status (http://appshopper.com/utilities/memory-status) is still allowed to sell on the app store.

Oh, cool, now I can update to iStat 1.1 without forgoing that functionality!

Cheers
Steffen.

peterjcat
5th September 2009, 10:53 AM

Same thing! Who's this Buffy?

marc
5th September 2009, 11:01 AM
Buffy is one of our test devices. Version 1.2 will fix this :)

marc
7th September 2009, 11:06 AM
iStat is now on sale for AUD$1.19. Get it while it's hot ;)

303-Acid
7th September 2009, 07:35 PM
The audio and video times switched around on mine. 1st gen 8GB iPod Touch.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/850/img0001dy.png

marc
7th September 2009, 08:31 PM
The audio and video times switched around on mine. 1st gen 8GB iPod Touch.
Thanks. It's a bug with iStat that only affects iPods. We'll have it fixed in version 1.2.

mattDC5R
8th September 2009, 10:58 PM
Buffy is one of our test devices. Version 1.2 will fix this :)

Ah i was going a little nuts trying to work out what was going there.

Also while trying sort that out, i noticed that resetting authorisation didnt appear to work. even after reinstalling both the app and server my phone would connect everytime and never asked for the passcode? is there something else that needs to be done?

not something id need to do regularly if ever, but would be good to know.

marc
8th September 2009, 11:18 PM
i noticed that resetting authorisation didnt appear to work.
Sorry, another bug. We have an iStat Server update coming very soon too.