PDA

View Full Version : If Apple released a USB flash drive

battye
26th August 2009, 01:21 PM
What could they include in it to set them apart from the rest?

Portable apps, very large storage, sleek design, etc?

MrJesseRoss
26th August 2009, 01:26 PM
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/6494/ipodshuffle.jpg

They already did. :)

gehenna
26th August 2009, 01:29 PM
I don't understand the point of this thread or what you're trying to achieve with it? USB drives exist, in a range of sizes, and they exist for one purpose - storage. The data you put on there is meaningless

dekco
26th August 2009, 01:30 PM
not sure this is a market where apple will make flash drives, afterall, lacie has some very nice looking drives, and sandisk has high capacity too (as do other manufacturers)

Exocet
26th August 2009, 01:33 PM
I don't believe they would ever release a USB flash drive, unless it was as a replacement distribution medium for CDs.

icant
26th August 2009, 01:49 PM
It would be useful if a flash drive could be my entire Home directory. So I could plug it into any Mac, type in a password, and then have my settings, pref panes, ~/Applications etc.

MrJesseRoss
26th August 2009, 01:54 PM
It would be useful if a flash drive could be my entire Home directory. So I could plug it into any Mac, type in a password, and then have my settings, pref panes, ~/Applications etc.

Wasn't that a rumour once, your iPod storing all your user data? I forget what it was called, it was so many years ago.

Edit: AppleInsider | Apple tweaking "Home on iPod" feature for release (http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=253) This!

Lutze
26th August 2009, 03:04 PM
I don't believe they would ever release a USB flash drive, unless it was as a replacement distribution medium for CDs.

I half expected Snow Leopard to be sold on flash drive as an option.

mattydee
26th August 2009, 03:08 PM
I half expected Snow Leopard to be sold on flash drive as an option.

with the macbook air's lack of DVD drive, that would have been a very good option, and one which i would expect for 10.7

Lutze
26th August 2009, 03:11 PM
with the macbook air's lack of DVD drive, that would have been a very good option, and one which i would expect for 10.7

That's partly why I was expecting it now. The other part is that it clears the way for iMac's and Macbooks across the board to be sold without an optical drive.

Wally
26th August 2009, 03:59 PM
It'd be the iDrive, will work on Mac and iPod.

iPod will have input for iPods to add more capacity.

Mac will be just a USB storage device..

Remy
26th August 2009, 04:16 PM
I imagine that if they actually did make a USB drive, it would look an awful lot like the newest iPod shuffles (you know, the ones that people can swallow).

dekco
26th August 2009, 11:04 PM
That's partly why I was expecting it now. The other part is that it clears the way for iMac's and Macbooks across the board to be sold without an optical drive.
i think that would be a poor choice. with the market flooded with ext HDD and flash drives, we should not ignore that until today, many restore CD(DVD) are present. by reducing the optical drive, yes i can see the benefits, but i think the cons, would outweigh it. would be way too troublesome *imo*

aafuss
26th August 2009, 11:14 PM
It would be HFS formatted by default, and come in a nano range colors-if Apple made a series of flash drives (they do not-they are plenty of third party makers of flash drives around, of course)

hendot
30th August 2009, 09:21 AM
Don't forget that if Apple released a flash disk, it would be approximately twice as expensive as devices with the same capacity. This alone would make it not very popular

pmoe
30th August 2009, 10:10 AM
Wasn't that a rumour once, your iPod storing all your user data? I forget what it was called, it was so many years ago.

Edit: AppleInsider | Apple tweaking "Home on iPod" feature for release (http://www.appleinsider.com/news.php?id=253) This!

Wasn't originally slated to be part of Panther but pulled at the last minute?

MrG
2nd September 2009, 07:05 PM
let alone the fact that usb flash drives are already at 128gb worth of storage. Maybe throw in a 2mp camera ability.

lazychef
2nd September 2009, 07:19 PM
Why not just make the new tablet in the form of a USB drive? :)