PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Edition install

Beaner
26th August 2009, 11:03 AM
Just to confirm something guys....

With the Upgrade edition of Snow Leopard do we need to have Leopard installed first before it will launch the installer ?

Or does it just mean as long as you own a version of Leopard you are entitled to the upgrade from a licensing point of view.

The prospect of having to re-install leopard and then upgrade to snow leopard everytime i want to redo my OS is not very appealing. And a waste of time.

~Coxy
26th August 2009, 11:37 AM
Nobody knows for sure yet.

W2ttsy
26th August 2009, 12:30 PM
sadly i lived through this pain with 10.2 > 10.3 as i only bought the 10.3 upgrader pack. It was a prick of a job and if the 10.2 installer failed or you opted for "base install only" then 10.3 wouldnt work properly and it was time to restart and try again. Of course you also have to maintain two sets of discs. A real pain if you want to sell the previous OS you dont need anymore...

mac_man_luke
26th August 2009, 12:39 PM
Knowing apple most likely it will only be an upgrade by licence

eg full disc

Remy
26th August 2009, 01:51 PM
I have no source for this, but my belief is that it will be a "full" disc, and that the upgrade will be purely from a licensing point of view. We will know for sure on Friday.

whyaretheycalledgenius
26th August 2009, 02:13 PM
I have no source for this, but my belief is that it will be a "full" disc, and that the upgrade will be purely from a licensing point of view. We will know for sure on Friday.

If this is the case then why would users with 10.4 need to buy the box set. Wouldn't this "full" disc just work?

arkenstone
26th August 2009, 02:20 PM
If this is the case then why would users with 10.4 need to buy the box set. Wouldn't this "full" disc just work?

Technically, sure. But it's against the terms of the license. You might as well just go download the torrent and not bother with the $39 either.

Brains
26th August 2009, 02:52 PM
With the Upgrade edition of Snow Leopard do we need to have Leopard installed first before it will launch the installer ?

For the first time, Apple's Mac OS X Upgrade disc will ask you for your original 10.5 install DVD, be it a retail copy or a machine-specific Disc 1. It no longer checks to see if there is an existing OSX install on your hard drive.

The Mac OS X 10.6 Upgrade Disc is a full universal (ie, works on all 10.6-capable Macs) disc with the addition of the disck-checker mentioned above.

Dux
26th August 2009, 02:58 PM
It no longer checks to see if there is an existing OSX install on your hard drive.

Good to hear. Is this the same with the 'up to date'; or essentially is the 'up to date' disc the same as the upgrade, just called a different name at the point of sale?

areal
26th August 2009, 03:17 PM
For the first time, Apple's Mac OS X Upgrade disc will ask you for your original 10.5 install DVD, be it a retail copy or a machine-specific Disc 1. It no longer checks to see if there is an existing OSX install on your hard drive.

Good info. Thanks Brains.

Remy
26th August 2009, 04:22 PM
According to these folks (http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&dl=en&u=http://www.applesfera.com/apple/primeras-imagenes-reales-de-la-caja-de-mac-os-x-snow-leopard) (translated):

The validation system DOES NOT EXIST. Our friend Pedro10 have installed the final version on a hard drive completely empty and has not asked any kind of formal or Leopard DVD or have it installed.

black painter
26th August 2009, 04:40 PM
Good as I want to do a full clean install as my mac is slowing down a bt after nearly a year.