PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Project OX 10.6 'Clean Install' - Suggestions Appreciated

HighFlyer2104
26th August 2009, 01:08 AM
So, this weekend I am hoping to 'clean install' my new version of Snow Leopard, but some concerns and questions are still on my mind. I plan on doing a final backup with TimeMachine and then popping in the disc to install OS 10.6...for the applications that I have on discs I can just reinstall afterwards; however, for documents, settings and most important play counts in iTunes, how would I go about importing all those back? I have read about the Migration Assistant tool, but I am not sure how to/and if that would be the most appropriate tool for my task...let me know what you guys think...suggestions/comments...

Currawong
26th August 2009, 03:20 PM
You don't need to import anything, by default Snow Leopard will upgrade and everything will be as it was before, but with the new system operational. Weekend project? More like an hour or whatever.

Lutze
26th August 2009, 03:29 PM
I've done clean and updated installs with the rumoured GM.

Each took ~45m

You might want to take a look at this (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08/25/preview_os_apple_snow_leopard/) report done by a Register hack who has published a preview from his upgrade / clean install from two Macs.

RustySpanner
26th August 2009, 05:52 PM
If you have fileVault enabled on any user account, disable it before backing up.
Doing a restore from time machine backup will not work with a fileVault protected account. I found this out the hard way.
Other than that just run with the upgrade option, it's far easier.

AnthoMac
26th August 2009, 09:22 PM
My Mac came preinstalled with all them printer drivers, taking up precious space (I didn't reinstall OSX after purchasing the Mac because I was too excited!)
Will a Snow Leopard upgrade remove such clutter or am I better off performing a clean install? Note: I come from the Windows world and, well, the upgrade option for that OS wouldn't even be considered in my books!

tcn33
26th August 2009, 09:40 PM
Printer drivers and languages are deselectable options at install. From memory the languages defaulted to yes, drivers to no (although I could be wrong).

aeon
26th August 2009, 10:12 PM
Heh, I've seen a few of these threads on various forums - people asking about the best way to do a clean install, then everyone saying do an upgrade install..

If we wanted to do an upgrade install we would, but we want to do a clean install! What's the best way to go about doing this?

And before you answer "do an upgrade install, it's quick and easy". I DON'T WANT TO DO AN UPGRADE INSTALL, I WANT TO DO A CLEAN INSTALL!

I pretty much want to do exactly what the original poster asked, can someone answer that question?

(apologies for the caps/yelling ;))

Beau
26th August 2009, 10:47 PM
Utilities > Disk Utility. Click Harddrive, select '1' partition and hit apply. Bingo - formatted hard drive. Continue SL setup as usual.

Protip: I did a clean install and wish I did an upgrade. So much easier.

Lutze
27th August 2009, 12:26 AM
Utilities > Disk Utility. Click Harddrive, select '1' partition and hit apply. Bingo - formatted hard drive. Continue SL setup as usual.

Protip: I did a clean install and wish I did an upgrade. So much easier.

Might be wise to advise that you can't do that from inside the Leopard OS however.

If you remove Leopard before you start the install of Snow Leopard you are phucked as Snow Leopard detects Leopard before allowing it to progress.