PDA

View Full Version : Buying of Snow Leopard Decision!

Tj94
25th August 2009, 08:02 PM
Hey,
I will definately be purchasing Snow Leopard on Friday, but having trouble deciding which option to take. I'm interested in iLife 09, since I only have '08 version, but is it really worth the extra money, to purchase the Box Set, when I wouldn't need the iWork programs, due to having Office. Would I be able to sell it on ebay or something/
Your hlp would be appreciated :D

alan7948
25th August 2009, 08:14 PM
Hey,
I will definately be purchasing Snow Leopard on Friday, but having trouble deciding which option to take. I'm interested in iLife 09, since I only have '08 version, but is it really worth the extra money, to purchase the Box Set, when I wouldn't need the iWork programs, due to having Office. Would I be able to sell it on ebay or something/

isnt there a box set with only ilife and osx?

leon
25th August 2009, 08:16 PM
iLife '09 has been out for ages.
Just get 10.6 now and purchase iLife '10 when it comes out.
To be honest, there isn't really anything that '09 has that makes it a must have over '08 - you've also gone this far without '09 so a couple more months won't be a stretch.

Lutze
25th August 2009, 08:16 PM
Do you currently have leopard?

If yes, do not buy the box.

If no, do you know anyone selling leopard? The box is only a bargain if you want to go from tiger and iLife / iWork 08 to snow leopard and iapps 09.

Tj94
25th August 2009, 08:17 PM
not that i know of?

Tj94
25th August 2009, 08:18 PM
Does any one think that a new iLife will come out soon?

gehenna
25th August 2009, 08:26 PM
Considering the current iteration is iLife '09 I can't see a new version coming out anytime soon.

leon
25th August 2009, 08:29 PM
Considering the current iteration is iLife '09 I can't see a new version coming out anytime soon.

iLife '09 came out at the start of the year. iLife '10 should only be a couple of months away.
With SL being released Friday, we should expect an iLife suite soon that is more closely integrated with 10.6.

Ecto1
25th August 2009, 08:35 PM
Look, if you want to tag people by faces or geotagging in iphoto, then buy iLife09. If you can live with out the new things in iLife09 then the 08 version will do you.

As for a new version of iLife coming out to fit with Snow Leopard. My bet will be just a software update bring them in to the 64bit line.

MissionMan
25th August 2009, 10:33 PM
Hey,

Buy the set, I'll buy the iwork off you.

zigzagler
25th August 2009, 10:38 PM
are you guys buying it online via the "pre-order" link or going into the Apple Retail Store to get one on friday itself?
Will the retail store have the stock? Anyone from Robina maybe?

Cheers!

pengu
26th August 2009, 12:03 AM
iLife '09 came out at the start of the year. iLife '10 should only be a couple of months away.
With SL being released Friday, we should expect an iLife suite soon that is more closely integrated with 10.6.

What's to say there will be an ilife/iwork '10? they've skipped years before. there is also no reason they can't just release an incremental update for ilife/iwork '09 to take advantage of new SL stuff (if its even needed).

the way they're bundling SL with the Box set (i.e. encouraging uptake of those apps), I wouldn't be surprised if iLife/iWork releases are more closely tied to OS releases.

My bet will be just a software update bring them in to the 64bit line
Software update, maybe. 64bit? I doubt it.

tcn33
26th August 2009, 05:35 AM
Software update, maybe. 64bit? I doubt it.

Why? If Apple have gone to the trouble of making the OS and core apps 64-bit, why wouldn't they do the same with the iLife and iWork suites?

I wouldn't be surprised to see updates within a week of the SL launch that bring 64-bit compatibility.

Geoff3DMN
26th August 2009, 07:12 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see an update to iLife/iWork 09 but I wouldn't expect to see iLife/iWork 10 for a few months yet.

This is based purely on the fact that I just ordered and paid for a boxed family set of SL/iL/iW ;)

Tj94
26th August 2009, 07:49 AM
Buy the set, I'll buy the iwork off you.

How much would you pay for it?

wmyeoh
26th August 2009, 07:54 AM
At risk of hijacking the thread, is there likely to be a new iWork coming out soon?

pengu
26th August 2009, 10:24 AM
Why? If Apple have gone to the trouble of making the OS and core apps 64-bit, why wouldn't they do the same with the iLife and iWork suites?

I wouldn't be surprised to see updates within a week of the SL launch that bring 64-bit compatibility.

What do the apps gain by being 64bit? When's the last time you used iPhoto to deal with photos larger than 4GB?

As for "64-bit compatibility". They are "compatible" already. SL is designed such that users can run 32 and 64 bit apps side-by-side without issues.

tcn33
26th August 2009, 10:46 AM
What do the apps gain by being 64bit?

Fucked if I know from a technical standpoint, but everything at OS level - Mail, iCal, Safari - runs in 64-bit mode in SL, and much snappier (IMO) than they did on Leopard. And you'll notice a few apps have recently been updated to run in 64-bit mode (Transmission and Tweetie spring to mind) so either the developers of those apps don't have anything better to do or there must be some benefit.

http://img.skitch.com/20090826-e6cit77tbtsf3rpwmua9dearyw.preview.jpg (http://skitch.com/toby/bhs26/screen-shot-2009-08-26-at-10.37.53-am)
Click for full size (http://skitch.com/toby/bhs26/screen-shot-2009-08-26-at-10.37.53-am) - Uploaded with plasq (http://plasq.com)'s Skitch (http://skitch.com)

As for "64-bit compatibility". They are "compatible" already. SL is designed such that users can run 32 and 64 bit apps side-by-side without issues.

Yeah, and 32-bit apps (particularly Firefox) perform noticeably worse under SL.

I stand by my prediction.

zigzagler
26th August 2009, 11:52 AM
Can we get it from apple retail on fri? just made a preorder online tho...