PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard Update Disc

mantaray
25th August 2009, 09:42 AM
Has anybody had their delivery date changed from September to the earlier date of 28 August.
I pre ordered the update, but my shipping date is still September.
Very frustrating, but perhaps it will take a while for the Order status to update- one can only hope.
Still its all good.

MissionMan
25th August 2009, 09:46 AM
Nope, i think even the ones order afterward the date change still show as september.

Alessiman
25th August 2009, 09:48 AM
Mine says ships by 28 Aug

drewbles
25th August 2009, 10:57 AM
Mine says ships by 28 Aug

Ditto. Just ordered an upgrade and up-to-date, both by 28 Aug.

jimdrum
25th August 2009, 11:15 AM
Has anybody had their delivery date changed from September to the earlier date of 28 August.
I pre ordered the update, but my shipping date is still September.
Very frustrating, but perhaps it will take a while for the Order status to update- one can only hope.
Still its all good.

Mine says 'ships by 28th.August'. No doubt they'll be trying hard to get them all out as early as possible.

led-zep
25th August 2009, 11:18 AM
um one thing i still dont get, what happens to tiger users? so say a tiger user, who has an intel mac, but hasn't upgraded to leopard, can they buy the snow leopard disc and install? or do they have to get the snow leopard pack, with ilife and iwork?

leon
25th August 2009, 11:20 AM
um one thing i still dont get, what happens to tiger users? so say a tiger user, who has an intel mac, but hasn't upgraded to leopard, can they buy the snow leopard disc and install? or do they have to get the snow leopard pack, with ilife and iwork?

Yes. They need the SL/iLife/iWork bundle.
Snow Leopard is considered an upgrade to leopard, not a whole new operating system.

jimdrum
25th August 2009, 11:22 AM

I understand that you'll have to buy the pack, because Snow Leopard won't install if you're running Tiger. The $39 update will only work for those already using Leopard.
Sorry 'bout that...
( Still, I think you'll really appreciate Leopard's features, let alone Snow Leopard.)

thebookfreak58
25th August 2009, 11:36 AM
I ordered my UTD on 21st. Still showing as shipping in September :(

Ecto1
25th August 2009, 11:43 AM
I ordered mine 4 weeks ago through the UTDP, and it still says shipping in September.

kevinnugent
25th August 2009, 11:48 AM
I ordered mine an hour ago - shows Ship by 28/8

The_Hawk
25th August 2009, 12:25 PM
Mine from the 18th says will send when available in September.

Apple's website main page says available 28/08/2009 so will be interesting to see when it turns up.

jamferma
25th August 2009, 12:31 PM
thats very interesting about tiger users..... i fell into the up to date program with leopard...... there was an option on the disc to do an erase and install. i read somewere that this option is indeed on the snow leopard disc under advanced options.... i think the upgrade disc just checks if OSX exists on the computer already. because i have reinstalled leopard from 10.5.6 down to a fresh 10.5.0 with my upgrade disc

zigzagler
25th August 2009, 12:40 PM
do we need to reformat everything to install Snow Leopard? I'm currently on 10.5.8 though.

How is it going to affect my Boot Camp partition & my VMWare?

Cheers!

Huy
25th August 2009, 12:41 PM
do we need to reformat everything to install Snow Leopard? I'm currently on 10.5.8 though.

No.

VMware is fine when you upgrade. Otherwise it's a fresh install and you install it again like all your other apps.

zigzagler
25th August 2009, 12:44 PM
No.

VMware is fine when you upgrade. Otherwise it's a fresh install and you install it again like all your other apps.

you mean i need to reinstall all my apps after the upgrade?

Huy
25th August 2009, 12:45 PM
you mean i need to reinstall all my apps after the upgrade?

No.

Upgrade -> No reinstallations. It will be the same to you, except running Snow Leopard. All your applications and files etc will still be there as you left it.

Erase and Install -> Blank Snow Leopard. Start again i.e. reinstallation of software, settings, etc. :)

Ecto1
25th August 2009, 01:20 PM
I am unsure if I should do a clean install or just install over the top of 10.5.8. I use time machine, so I am fully backed up.

Huy
25th August 2009, 01:32 PM
I am unsure if I should do a clean install or just install over the top of 10.5.8. I use time machine, so I am fully backed up.

Just install over the top. Should be done in no time. :)

macnev
25th August 2009, 03:11 PM
quick question, I got two macs here, a mbp and imac, both running 10.5 so I was wondering if I would be able to just purchase one copy of Snow Leopard to use on both?
thanks

Huy
25th August 2009, 03:14 PM
A single licence is only for one machine. A family pack is up to 5.

The_Hawk
25th August 2009, 03:37 PM
I have pre ordered my "uptodate" copy for my Wifes new MacBook Pro, but am wondering a few things...

1. Will it require an upgrade or can you clean install?
Further to this, if it's an upgrade and needs to detect an old install of 10.5, what happens in 12 months when I get a larger HDD and just want to do a clean install of 10.6? Do I have to install 10.5 first?

2. Will the "uptodate" install disk be tied to the MacBook Pro in some way or can it be installed on any machine? In my case I have an older MacBook running Leopard that I want to upgrade to Snow where the Wife doesn't really care what version she is running. Will I be able to use the supplied install disk to install Snow Leopard onto my machine then worry about purchasing the retail version later if and when she decides she also wants to upgrade or will I just need to buy the retail version on the 28th to get it up and running on my MacBook?

Huy
25th August 2009, 03:40 PM
I have pre ordered my "uptodate" copy for my Wifes new MacBook Pro, but am wondering a few things...

Further to this, if it's an upgrade and needs to detect an old install of 10.5, what happens in 12 months when I get a larger HDD and just want to do a clean install of 10.6? Do I have to install 10.5 first?

2. Will the "uptodate" install disk be tied to the MacBook Pro in some way or can it be installed on any machine? In my case I have an older MacBook running Leopard that I want to upgrade to Snow where the Wife doesn't really care what version she is running. Will I be able to use the supplied install disk to install Snow Leopard onto my machine then worry about purchasing the retail version later if and when she decides she also wants to upgrade or will I just need to buy the retail version on the 28th to get it up and running on my MacBook?

These are my guesses:

1. Both will be available: upgrade and clean install. In 12 months, you will need to install 10.5 first then go to 10.6, if it requires 10.5 to be detected first. Apple would have the means to 'lock' the discs to specific hardware though, since you are required to submit your serial number for processing of the up-to-date program. They could have machine-specific discs but I'd imagine not.

2. Probably not tied to a specific machine.

beary2teddy
25th August 2009, 06:42 PM
hi, i have a question

do i need to re-install bootcamp if i'm just going to upgrade from leopard to SL?

edit: And will my bookmarks in firefox be lost?

leon
25th August 2009, 06:57 PM
hi, i have a question

do i need to re-install bootcamp if i'm just going to upgrade from leopard to SL?

If you perform an upgrade they everything will remain intact.
SL might come with newer Bootcamp drivers, so at most you will have to load up your bootcamp partitiion, insert the disk and update the drivers.

Bootcamp is on a separate partition so unless you reinitialize your drive, you can't really lose the bootcamp partition.

Firefox bookmarks will remain intact if you upgrade.
If you perform a clean install you will lose them though.

Ecto1
25th August 2009, 07:56 PM
hi, i have a question

Why not just export your bookmarks to a memory card or something. So, if you do lose them, they are not gone forever.

mantaray
26th August 2009, 10:05 AM
All's good, order ship date updated to August 28. :thumbup:

thebookfreak58
26th August 2009, 10:11 AM
All's good, order ship date updated to August 28. :thumbup:

+1.

Phillo
26th August 2009, 01:56 PM
I just got an email from the online store saying that it will be shipped on 28/8 and that I should get it next week.

Brains
26th August 2009, 02:50 PM

For the first time, Apple's Mac OS X Upgrade disc will ask you for your original 10.5 install DVD, be it a retail copy or a machine-specific Disc 1. It no longer checks to see if there is an existing OSX install on your hard drive.

2. Will the "uptodate" install disk be tied to the MacBook Pro in some way or can it be installed on any machine?

The Mac OS X 10.6 Upgrade Disc is a full universal (ie, works on all 10.6-capable Macs) disc with the addition of the disck-checker mentioned above.

digger1914
28th August 2009, 02:10 PM
I just got home and found a Snow Leopard at my front door. Just about to give it a run!

zigzagler
28th August 2009, 02:20 PM
I must say apples delivery is damn fast...got it at about 11am. Still contemplating whether to install since there's so many app that's not compatible... ESP adobe phoshop element

does it freeup 7gb if I install on top of it?

Japester
28th August 2009, 02:22 PM
I must say apples delivery is damn fast...got it at about 11am. Still contemplating whether to install since there's so many app that's not compatible... ESP adobe phoshop element

What version of Photoshop Elements? I've got version 6.0.(20080307.m.527@431481). It works.

digger1914
28th August 2009, 03:21 PM

does it freeup 7gb if I install on top of it?

I picked up more than 7 gigs (about 10 I reckon). The install took an hour

mantaray
28th August 2009, 10:17 PM
I must say apples delivery is damn fast...got it at about 11am.
Don't know about fast, the Upgrade disc is sent by Australia Post today with an expected delivery of 07/09/09, not really fast. I suppose that is the price to be paid for getting the $15 Upgrade.

zigzagler
28th August 2009, 10:19 PM
Didn't know there was an upgrade disc that cost $15

Rjat
28th August 2009, 10:29 PM
Didn't know there was an upgrade disc that cost $15

That would be for a Mac in the up-to-date program (i.e. recently purchased), I would think.