PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY! Saved up enough for a 15" MBP! Any Reason To Wait?

macrob
25th August 2009, 12:51 AM
Hey guys,

I have finally saved up enough money for my very own 15" MBP. I'm planning on going with the 2.8Ghz with 500GB 7200RPM HDD.

I do plan on waiting until 28th August so as to have Snow Leopard (10.6) installed as default.

Now I believe that the last MBP update was in June 2009, and I'm not aware of any rumors relating to new releases in the short term (next 3 months-ish), and thats where you guys come in.

Does anyone have any views, throughs or God-forbid facts as to if/when the MBP line-up might receive another update?

I have been patient this long, and could (maybe, just about) hang on a few more weeks for something special. It will be a VERY long time until I find myself in this situation again, so I just want to make sure that I'm not jumping in a little too early.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Cheers,

Macrob.

Sebastianmonty
25th August 2009, 01:16 AM
I believe there was a similar thread recently. I say buy now, I will- as soon as I get my loan haha.
See Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)

It shows when the last refresh was and when the next one is likely(judging on the cycle-not always the case). It shows the average days between refreshing. It's currently day 77 and the average is 200.
So buy it. My only advice is don't go base model. Get dedicated graphics so Snow Leopard runs really well.

iSilver
25th August 2009, 09:15 AM
You might want to wait until you can be sure it is shipping with Snow Leopard before buying it. When I got my last one I waited a few weeks after the launch of the OS but still got the old version with an updater disk.

icant
25th August 2009, 09:22 AM
You do have a strategy to backup your files right?

Rant
25th August 2009, 10:20 AM
Definitely wait as long as you can into Snow Leopard availability on the hardware. Let them iron out the bugs. I bought an iMac before Leopard came out (but within the Up To Date period, so I got Leopard dirt cheap) and I have no proof, but I'm not sure it runs as well as it did on the OS that came with it. Sure it's faster and has new features, but it was definitely more reliable under Tiger - less 'funny' things happening.

The other thing to consider is October is sometimes MacBook update month. Apple's been a bit frequent with the hardware updates this year and who knows if they won't try to sneak something new in - like Blu-ray for example & let's face it, those Core2Duos are looking a bit 'old' now, Windows has had quad core notebooks since 2008. Some things to consider, anyway. Depends if any of that matters to your situation.

Not telling people their plans must lose Apple sales. Like last Christmas, they actually told people there were no iMac updates coming because people were holding off for Macworld. Apple should have learnt from that experience and have a product rollout available. It gives customers confidence and Apple can adjust their stock levels to tail-off as a new product approaches.

I highly recommend the MacTalk affiliate link if you're going through the Apple Store (which has excellent service). And I think JBs does 10% off from time to time, which is the cheapest you'll get a Mac. That's how I got the iMac, possibly because Leopard was coming, but as noted above, maybe not the best move.

cplicious
25th August 2009, 12:14 PM
Isn't there something happening early Sept?

wmyeoh
25th August 2009, 12:19 PM
I believe there was a similar thread recently.

Yep, there was.

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/71889-will-mbps-get-speed-bumps-before-october.html

Rant
25th August 2009, 01:14 PM
Something could come in September. It's unlikely, but… There's always something better coming. One rule is, if you can afford to wait, wait. The other rule is, if you need it now, just buy it.

There's no real answer, other than, as I wrote above, we know Snow Leopard is due soon and in my experience, it's prudent to let the bugs get sorted out. Apple's had issues with MacBooks, including crap Nvidia chips, video problems, hard drive problems, and more (but NOTHING like windows notebooks have, don't think Apple are not the best to buy).

It turns out, if you wait at least a month for the dust to settle on Snow Leopard, that gets you past any 9th September announcements and close to any possible MacBook upgrades in October. That would be my advice.

If you don't need any of the things I mentioned (Blu-ray, quad core, etc) & Brains (in the other thread mentioned above) says there's nothing coming from Intel that Apple would want. Brains is about the best around here on the tech side, so you're fairly safe.

maclab
25th August 2009, 10:49 PM
I thought snow leopard was the bug fix for Leopard. Tiger to Leopard can not be compared to this upgrade.

Rant
25th August 2009, 11:24 PM
I thought snow leopard was the bug fix for Leopard. Tiger to Leopard can not be compared to this upgrade.

Leopard to Snow Leopard will be a bigger change than Tiger to Leopard, maybe not so much at the user interface, but underlying technologies, which affect apps and drivers, and which is why Apple are playing it safe and defaulting to 32 bit kernel, no matter what has been said… they don't dare use the major change promised/delivered.

Put aside the fact the same promises made about Leopard (better, faster, more 64 bit) have been made about Snow Leopard, for starters, Snow Leopard is Intel-only. Plus, it seems you need to back-grade to QuickTime 7 if you want Pro features. I smell kludge and ßeta all over this one.

Calling it Snow Leopard is a way of disguising the bigger changes going on under the hood. Bug-fix? If only. This is the first OS I'll be waiting before installing, just to see what happens…

Someone in the TWiT IRC chat late last week was saying they'd only just sent a huge crash report to Apple about QuickTime and iTunes and that Snow Leopard was nothing like Golden Master, no matter what the rumour sites were reporting.

QuickTime and iTunes are Apple supplied software, with inside knowledge. Imagine how much fun other developers are going to have with this release.

Could it be that Snow Leopard is going to be even more ßeta on release than Leopard?

cosmichobo
25th August 2009, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=Sebastianmonty;854088Get dedicated graphics so Snow Leopard runs really well.[/QUOTE]

I thought all Macbook Pros use the same graphics card?

Is there still a difference even though they use the same one?

(Considering the base model +2GB RAM)

macrob
25th August 2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks to all those who responded, and sorry for what appears to be a double thread (I posted mine late at night and I clearly didn't review the prior postings. soz:o)

macrob
26th August 2009, 12:05 AM
I thought all Macbook Pros use the same graphics card?

Is there still a difference even though they use the same one?

(Considering the base model +2GB RAM)

15" 2.53GHz has NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

Where as the 2.66, 2.8 and 3.06 has VIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics processor; and NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

See Apple - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 15-inch. (http://www.apple.com/au/macbookpro/specs.html)

cosmichobo
26th August 2009, 12:10 AM
Oh - I'm looking at the 13" anyway... def need to up the RAM then, didnt realise it was shared.

lazydesi
26th August 2009, 07:34 PM
Intel’s Next-Gen Mobile Platforms Make Windows 7 An Awesome Time To Buy A Laptop | Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/08/intels-next-gen-mobile-platforms-make-windows-7-an-awesome-time-to-buy-a-laptop/)

New mobile chips @ end of sept

Rant
26th August 2009, 08:02 PM
Intel’s Next-Gen Mobile Platforms Make Windows 7 An Awesome Time To Buy A Laptop | Gizmodo Australia (http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/08/intels-next-gen-mobile-platforms-make-windows-7-an-awesome-time-to-buy-a-laptop/)

New mobile chips @ end of sept

Wouldn't it be nice to see mobile i7s in MacBooks (or even iMacs)?

For some reason, Apple seems to step around these kind of advances, claiming better performance from C2Ds. I wonder how long that song will carry… ?

wolfie
26th August 2009, 08:04 PM
i personally cant see apple adopting the new chips immediately.
i reckon itll be at least 6 months, and its most likely they will be introduced into the imacs first.

so in essence, its anyone guess when the refrsh is coming, but my guess is, not till march/april for mbp.

thats awesome
26th August 2009, 09:26 PM
My advice is follow this rule:

One rule is, if you can afford to wait, wait. The other rule is, if you need it now, just buy it.

Also, I would tell you to really consider refurbs! They still come with the usual warranty and usually can't be differentiated from non refurbs (aside from the brown boxed they arrive in)

alexc
27th August 2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I ofen buy refurbs. You can save as much as 30%.

I just ordered and saved a grand. And lets face it, with the way I use laptops they look like they've been under a bus within about two weeks :D

Al