PDA

View Full Version : Cheap MobileMe remote wipe version for iphone

ninja
24th August 2009, 10:10 PM
Does anyone else agree that Apple should have a version of mobileme that just includes the gps iphone finder with sms ability and the remote wipe feature for a cheap $20 yearly fee??

All i use mobileme for is this. Abotu 10 other people in my office want this feature but arent going to pay $100 pa.

I might email Apple but its tready these days to make it impossible to find a companies email address :mad:

rustyshelf
24th August 2009, 10:35 PM
I have a better idea, why not just halve the price of Mobile Me?

You can get the mail and calendar at Google for free. There are plenty of online disk storage places that you can get for free/cheaper. Not to mention iDisk is soooo unreliable...

Picasa/Flickr - free photo sharing

Contact Synching: Yahoo/Google

so what does that leave...find my iPhone, and even then only if your push is turned on.

I paid for it because I'm a fanboy/sucker, but I would feel much better about handing over my money if it was cheaper :)

pengu
24th August 2009, 10:35 PM
If you're paying for it, why don't you make use of the other services? Having an email address that's not tied to an ISP, is worth it alone, and don't even mention gmail or hotmail. If i wanted someone else reading my email and putting ad's in it, I'd sit on the sidewalk asking the catalogue delivery twats for bags of shit.

Beau
24th August 2009, 10:40 PM
Jailbreak. there are free/cheap alternatives that do 'find my iPhone' along with remote wipe. ;)

rustyshelf
24th August 2009, 10:46 PM
Jailbreak. there are free/cheap alternatives that do 'find my iPhone' along with remote wipe. ;)

Just curious, do these solutions involve my location going back to some server in the cloud? That freaks me out a little bit. It already freaks me out enough that Apple know where I am, knowing that some random third party does as well just makes it worse ;)

Chief911
24th August 2009, 11:38 PM
All i use mobileme for is this. Abotu 10 other people in my office want this feature but arent going to pay $100 pa.
:

dude, its $59 off ebay....

Apple Mobile Me Individual RRP $119 - eBay, Software, Apple, Computers. (end time 02-Sep-09 15:47:38 AEST) (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Apple-Mobile-Me-Individual-RRP-119_W0QQitemZ180399690371QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_15?hash=item2a00a8d283&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14)

(edit: typo on link)

ninja
25th August 2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks for some interesting and funny replies!

Im staying with gmail because thats msn, facebook etc etc
idisk is bloody unreliable!

The ebay option is a good one

kyte
29th August 2009, 04:58 PM
I'm going to look at the ebay option when renewal comes up, I find the find my phone feature a very useful insurance, and I have begun to use the email addresses instead of my domain (which I am abandoning in november after 10 years of ownership)...photo gallery lacks something. I signed up at a million free galleries to see which was best and still havent decided, but getting comments is something i like (well having the option, anyway... being roundly ignored is more common than i wish it was)..and that doesnt seem to be an option on mobileme. or have i missed something critical?

Beau
29th August 2009, 05:08 PM
Yep, no comments on photos @ mobileme. I find flickr to be the best photo gallery website in my opinion, and the API makes it that much better.

Lutze
29th August 2009, 07:38 PM
Yep, no comments on photos @ mobileme. I find flickr to be the best photo gallery website in my opinion, and the API makes it that much better.

If you create a site with iWeb it allows for comments on photos.

FreqNoize
31st August 2009, 11:23 PM
Just pay the $100. It's an apple product of course it's going to be pricey.. what else do u expect? ;)

Or you could put in the effort and search around the net for "discounted" MobileMe products.