PDA

View Full Version : Ibook To 86cm Hd Widescreen Tv

deang
11th July 2005, 07:52 PM
I've got a 1ghz Ibook and sometimes have it hooked up to an 86cm HD TV via VGA. When I play a DVD every thing looks squashed from the top and the bottom. It's as though it's trying to output the image to a 4:3 tv. Is there a way around this? Watching a DVD through the laptop looks so amazing, almost 3D, but this one problem is very annoying. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Dean.

Nong23
11th July 2005, 07:55 PM
Hey Dean,

I think the ibook uses also has an S Video out, perhaps try that and see if you get proper 16:9?! I'm not too sure but the ibook's default res (12" and 14") is 1024 X 768 which in nature is not wide screen. So I'm unsure you'll get widescreen unless you use something like S-Video.

Have you tried looking in the Displays section of the System Preferences? I have yet to connect my powerbook to a TV, I'll do it tonight and see what i can come up with :)

cheers,

Nong23

deang
11th July 2005, 08:00 PM
Yeah, I could hook it up via s-video but it wouldn't look anywhere as good. Might just have to get a mini soon I think, they shouldn't have a problem doing that sort of thing.

funkmaster_dan
11th July 2005, 10:59 PM
By default the video out on the iBook can only mirror whatever's on the internal screen, including the resolution, so because your ibook isn't widescreen its video out isnt widescreen.

But screen spanning doctor can rectify this and allow you to use extended desktop and set the resolution of the second display to whatever you want. So with screen spanning doctor installed and the resolution set to something wide-screen you should be able watch dvd's on your tv at the correct aspect ratio. :thumbup:

Screen Spanning Doctor (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15401)

hawker
12th July 2005, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by funkmaster_dan@Jul 11 2005, 10:29 PM
By default the video out on the iBook can only mirror whatever's on the internal screen, including the resolution, so because your ibook isn't widescreen its video out isnt widescreen.
But. If you put a movie in and it is 16X9 widescreen letterbox (ie. with black bars at the top and bottom) sure the screen res will only be 1024 x 768 - but you should still see it as 16x9 wide. However I am not sure with the iBooks.

deang
12th July 2005, 09:06 AM
I got it to work. All I had to do was go into the window menu of DVD Player then click video zoom unclick lock aspect ratio and adjust the height do the desired level. This seems to have worked well. I think VLC has even more options but DVD player looked fine. I have a DVD player that upscales over component but I swear the PQ is better from the ibook over VGA into the HD CRT. Now all I have to do is attach the M-Audio Transit (USB to toslink adapter) to the Ibook and see if DVD Player will pass Dolby Digital and DTS to my amplifier via toslink.
Thanks to everyone, this is a great forum.
Cheers, Dean