PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard Multitouch

woody993
22nd August 2009, 09:27 PM
Apple - Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Enhancements and Refinements (http://www.apple.com/au/macosx/refinements/enhancements-refinements.html#systempref):
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3949/picture1hus.png (http://img194.imageshack.us/i/picture1hus.png/)

Which notebooks have multi-touch trackpads? If that is too broad, does the MacBook 5,2 have one?

Huy
22nd August 2009, 09:32 PM
MacBook5,2? Yes since it is 2009.

Multi-Touch has been available since 2008.

Beau
22nd August 2009, 10:07 PM
If you can pinch to zoom or rotate, you've got a multitouch trackpad. If yours is one of the first multitouch notebooks, you're missing out on the three and four finger gestures. Snow Leopard fixes that for you folks.

woody993
22nd August 2009, 10:46 PM
If you can pinch to zoom or rotate, you've got a multitouch trackpad. If yours is one of the first multitouch notebooks, you're missing out on the three and four finger gestures. Snow Leopard fixes that for you folks.
I can not perform those actions, but going off what Huy said then I should have a multi-touch trackpad.

dekco
22nd August 2009, 11:22 PM
but editing on file in the system folder fixes that up in Leopard. I'm surprised this wasn't updated earlier.

Remy
23rd August 2009, 10:32 AM
you're missing out on the three and four finger gestures. Snow Leopard fixes that for you folks.

Can't wait until August 28th...

insular
23rd August 2009, 10:59 AM

so does some kernel patch i used aaaaaages ago

Beau
23rd August 2009, 12:16 PM
Exactly. :) Ever since el Jobso demonstrated the new gestures, there's been people trying to hack them onto their older machine - Snow Leopard brings the feature to you all anyway, so no more hacking needed.

woody993
28th August 2009, 08:41 PM
After installing Snow Leopard I still have no multi-touch

Beau
28th August 2009, 08:55 PM
After installing Snow Leopard I still have no multi-touch

The white MacBooks never had multitouch trackpads. Snow Leopard only enabled the four finger gestures for users that didn't have them before.

Angsty
28th August 2009, 09:04 PM
Is there a System Preference to turn OFF the trackpad eg: when doing lots of typing via the keyboard?

I ended up having to hack this preference and remove my (Leopard) Multitouch functionality and revert to the "old school" trackpad -> I can now type via the keyboard again after 4 months of hell!

Ang

NeoRicen
28th August 2009, 09:11 PM
Mac models with Multi-Touch.

Last non-Unibody MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Unibody MacBook
Unibody MacBook Pro

The first generation MacBook Air and the last non-Unibody MacBook Pro had multitouch, but did not have four finger gestures. Snow Leopard cannot turn your trackpad into a Multi-Touch trackpad, it merely adds new gestures for the 2 models that were already Multi-Touch but lacked the Expose and App switching gestures.

Beau
28th August 2009, 10:25 PM
Is there a System Preference to turn OFF the trackpad eg: when doing lots of typing via the keyboard?

I ended up having to hack this preference and remove my (Leopard) Multitouch functionality and revert to the "old school" trackpad -> I can now type via the keyboard again after 4 months of hell!

Ang
Not since the multitouch trackpads were introduced.

EDIT: Whoops, misread your post. ;P. Not as far as I am aware - there is no way to 'lock' your trackpad. For older models you could plug in a moues and tick 'ignore trackpad'.

To allow full use of gestures on the Multi-Touch trackpad even when a mouse is connected, the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" trackpad option no longer appears in System Preferences.

About the "Ignoring trackpad when mouse is present" option on computers with a Multi-Touch trackpad (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3608)

Tylerjstratton
4th September 2009, 01:51 PM
I just installed Snow Leopard on a old White Macbook that can scroll using two fingers but not with four and the new four finger scrolling still does not work. I've searched all over the net and this is the closest place i've come to someone else saying they had a problem.

Has anyone with an old mac like mine actually installed Snow Leopard and had it change the number of fingers you can use to do things with? (I don't care if you used a different program)

gehenna
4th September 2009, 01:55 PM
The multi touch scrolling is only supported on unibody multitouch trackpads.

Tylerjstratton
4th September 2009, 02:08 PM
The multi touch scrolling is only supported on unibody multitouch trackpads.

Thank you.
Wish the press releases would have said that...:(

NeoRicen
4th September 2009, 02:14 PM
Thank you.
Wish the press releases would have said that...:(
They do, you don't have a multitouch trackpad, that's all the Press Releases mentioned.

The MacBook you bought was never advertised as having a multi-touch trackpad.