PDA

View Full Version : New iPhone - Best carrier / Plan i.y.o?

Jaccck
22nd August 2009, 06:12 PM
Hi there, once again!

Just a quick one this time.

I think i'm about to purchase a new iPhone - I'm looking at a 16GB 3GS if possible.

Just wondering, in your opinion, what's the best carrier / plan available? From an economical point of view, what gives the best value for money? And if you're with someone who's very reliable, please tell me!

Many thanks!

- Jack

angryofmayfair
22nd August 2009, 06:33 PM
As much as I hate them - the Telstra pre-paid option is damn good value - pay $40 up front and get 150mins of talk, 150 sms and $40 to spend on data packs which should give you 4 x 100mb packs for the month...
Avoid Optus - their network is totally oversaturated and close to total meltdown, Vodafone is marginally better and at least they give you *all* the iPhone functionality (Vvoicemail and Tethering) without charging extra.
I'm with Vodafone and they are *OK* but when my contract expires I will go with Telstra Pre-Paid, as much as I hate the buggers...

Hmm, the above is assuming you buy the iPhone outright - if you are looking at getting an iPhone via a 24mth contract then IMHO I would still say Vodafone or Telstra - stay away from Optus - from what I see their 3G network is unusable..

If you are looking for reliability/great coverage then Telstra is your only option but not sure how good their plans are if buying the iPhone with them - I suspect they are quite expensive - the Pre-paid option is much better value but then you need an iPhone up front for that...

mac_man_luke
22nd August 2009, 06:39 PM
optus all depends on where you live imo

I live a few kms from the adelaide CBD and iv never had an issue re reception/data speeds etc

But id go virgin as they are better value than optus

Jaccck
22nd August 2009, 07:03 PM
Is Three any good?

eron
22nd August 2009, 07:46 PM
Disregarding 3G coverage and speed, Three is the most economical way of buying the iphone, with decent talk time, international calls and others bundled within the cap.

However, 3G coverage on Three is appalling to me. I can walk into Big W at QV, Melbourne, and not get 3G. It annoyed me that time because I wanted to check something on the net right there. It either roams, or attempts to go on 3G, which consumes unnecessary battery life. Three did not last long on my iPhone.

On Telstra Prepaid however, it's FULL 3G (Next G) coverage. Super fast connection most of the time, and I don't have to worry about roaming charges.

Oh, through speedtest on the iphones, I found that Telstra is not always faster than Three. Probably due to different distances from mobile towers.

ChrisG
22nd August 2009, 08:22 PM
I just bought an iPhone 3Gs on Apples website. Does it really take 5 - 7 days for them to ship it?

Beau
22nd August 2009, 08:26 PM
My friend ordered one three weeks ago and it shipped the next day.

iCantwait
23rd August 2009, 02:27 AM
optus $49 or $59

Aladdin
23rd August 2009, 09:43 PM
Telstra has the best 'works anywhere' network coverage. Almost everyone agrees with this.

'Value for money' really depends on how much value you place in certain benefits e.g. coverage vs data allowance vs call cost etc. Each to their own.

If you're really undecided about carrier choice, then I suggest buying an unlocked, outright phone, then you can hop into bed with another carrier at your whim.

Try them all if you want to, and perhaps then write a review for MacTalk to share your experiences.

Geoff3DMN
23rd August 2009, 09:51 PM
I don't have much trouble making calls or sending SMS's with Optus but I often have 4 or 5 bars of 3G signal and either no data throughput or data so slow It might as well be 2G.

I can't wait until my contract runs out and I can switch to be honest.