PDA

View Full Version : MacBook in Jakarta, grounding question

twoshoes
22nd August 2009, 11:10 AM
Hi,

I am looking to relocate to Jakarta taking a new 17" MacBook Pro, and I know from being there with an older powerbook that this closed thread grounding issue exists there .... http://forums.mactalk.com.au/24/10120-merged-powerbook-shock-grounding.html

In fact the powerbook over there has just failed and I am hoping not to kill a new notebook.

The electrical socket is a two prong plug only, using a 3 prong plug will only be converted back with a 2 prong travel adaptor.

Any ideas for a fix? Or should I just use an Imac for design work and get a plastic laptop for web surfing?

Thanks!

ClockWork
22nd August 2009, 11:44 AM
I have done some Apple troubleshooting in various areas in Jakarta, and have noticed a lot of problems in certain suburbs - mostly to do with really crap electrical wiring in entire suburbs and streets.

Mostly sudden black-outs, followed by massive brown outs, which then go on to electrocute every Mac and PC in an office.

The solution was to purchase a goodly sized UPS (http://www.powershield.com.au/) with an alarm and at least 5 to 10 minutes of electrical back up.

Lutze
22nd August 2009, 12:00 PM
I have done some Apple troubleshooting in various areas in Jakarta, and have noticed a lot of problems in certain suburbs - mostly to do with really crap electrical wiring in entire suburbs and streets.

Mostly sudden black-outs, followed by massive brown outs, which then go on to electrocute every Mac and PC in an office.

The solution was to purchase a goodly sized UPS (http://www.powershield.com.au/) with an alarm and at least 5 to 10 minutes of electrical back up.

I'd have said similar... but been more towards surge protection. With a laptop you don't need the power so much as you need to tame stupid amounts of inconsistent power surges.

twoshoes
22nd August 2009, 12:02 PM
Thanks for that ClockWork, I most definitely will get one for each computer.

Do you have any idea if this also helps with the zapping? It is significant and like a constant buzz on your fingers if you maintain contact.

I am wondering if a rubber matt under the notebook/ my feet is a solution. I don't know enough about electricity!

Lutze would a surge protector powerboard be adequate? I was planning to take them across with me.

ClockWork
22nd August 2009, 12:21 PM
Nor do I strangely, as I too am one of those people who is quite happy to use electricity, yet have no idea how it works...

However, with a good UPS, one only needs one for all computers plugged into it, and the same would go for Lutze's solution, if one were to purchase something like a Belkin Gold Series 8-Way Surge Protector.

A good UPS has both an audible alarm to alert the User that the electricity has gone off, and acts like a kind of a big battery, to hold something like... 5 minutes of electricity for all computers, thus giving one the chance to save all work and shut everything down.

A good Surge Protector however, won't store any electricity, yet it will protect all computers connected to it, from the brown-out that inevitably follows when the electricity jolts back on, often sending a surge of way too much electricity that can spike every Mac in the office / room.

Either way, only one is needed for many Apple Macs / Printers / Fax Machines - or in other words - delicate electronic instruments.

AddIt: The only problem with a Surge Protector is that although it halts spiking, it cannot control black outs, and having the power yanked out of a Desktop machine is dangerous if it happens again and again, as the Hard Drive will keep "hard stopping" - much like slamming the brakes on a car every time one goes to brake and thus wearing all tires bald very quickly.